Wickiup trout fishing

T
Thuggin4Life
So instead of searching the internet I decide to ask you guys. Planning on going to wickiup soon. Never been and I wanted to know were the best spots are to camp and how to get to them. I know to head up hwy 58 take the crescent cut off road and turn on the road to the lakes. I thinks its call the cascade lakes hwy or something but after that I am clueless. Also I am taking my boat so i want to camp near a boat ramp and good fishing spots. How much does it cost a night to camp and is there a boat launch fee? Can I leave my boat on the beach near a campsite? Any info will help even some fishing advice. I plan on trolling rapalas and such for browns/rainbows and I have know idea how to fish for kokes. Maybe trolling flashers and worms? Thanks for any info.

T
TTFishon
I prefer camping in the Davis Arm. It's first come first serve and it's free. There's a spot where people put there boats in but it's hard to explain because these roads are not marked. You could ask a fellow camper that has a boat. Sorry I am not much help. You could also go around the side by Twin Lakes Resort. There's several pay camp spots with bathrooms and boat ramps are nearby. The resort has a restaurant, store, laundry, and showers too.
As for the species there's brown, brook, rainbow, kokes, brown bullhead, lm bass, and there might be bulls. I've never seen or even heard of a bull being caught in Wickiup but I saw one caught in Crane Prairie which is connected to Wickiup by the river.

M
Mad dog
Watch the weather! Wickiup can get awfully windy in a hurry! Fish the flats at the east end of the lake or around the old river channels for browns. Look for cover close to deeper water. Trolling the base of the dam can be good at times. Kokanee are easy, fish the channels and deeper water down by the dam, watch for other boats concentrated in certain areas, it's not to hard to figure out what they're doing to get bit. If you have electronics, use them religiously to check water depth. I personally like to run my Rapalas close to the bottom along dropoffs or structure, that's usually where the big boys are.

T
Thuggin4Life
Thanks guys turns out the trip with have to be post poned or i will be dipping into funds for the yearly trip. But that means I when I can go it wont have to be on the weekend. I hate camping with the weekend warriors. But don't hesitate to give me more info.

T
Thuggin4Life
Headed of this weekend and want more info. Like how to get to the davis arm and where the free spots are.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
Headed of this weekend and want more info. Like how to get to the davis arm and where the free spots are.

After you pass Davis lake on Cascade Lakes hwy it's probably 2 to 2.5 more miles to the Davis Arm. You will start seeing lava rock on your left then as you round a corner you will see a gravel road to your right. There's a bunch of killer free camping down that road. You'll know if you pass it because you will drive over the arm itself and there's more killer free camping on that side too. I suggest you google map it and give it a good once over to familiarize yourself with the area. Then when you get there you can explore. Even when I don't catch fish I have a good time. Good luck.

T
Thuggin4Life
TTFishon said:
After you pass Davis lake on Cascade Lakes hwy it's probably 2 to 2.5 more miles to the Davis Arm. You will start seeing lava rock on your left then as you round a corner you will see a gravel road to your right. There's a bunch of killer free camping down that road. You'll know if you pass it because you will drive over the arm itself and there's more killer free camping on that side too. I suggest you google map it and give it a good once over to familiarize yourself with the area. Then when you get there you can explore. Even when I don't catch fish I have a good time. Good luck.

Thanks I have been looking at the lake on google earth but it doesn't say davis arm anywhere. I assume its on the west side of the lake. Maybe.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yep if you follow it up the davis arm will end up in Davis Lake :)

T
Thuggin4Life
So the weather isn't going to be bad but not good either. Is it smart to be fishing during a thunderstorm? Somebody check the weather and let me know what you think about fishing Wickiup this weekend.

C
Commodore S
Thuggin4Life said:
So the weather isn't going to be bad but not good either. Is it smart to be fishing during a thunderstorm? Somebody check the weather and let me know what you think about fishing Wickiup this weekend.

In a vessel? Just dodge the lighting bolts, You live in OR. bud. If you plan fishing trips around the weather here you won't do much fishin':lol: If ya here some bumpin' fire up the motor and haul Don't forget !

Last edited by a moderator:
T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:

I'd let the thunder/lightening storm subside then get back to fishing. I checked the weather because I'm thinking of heading up there too. It's not going to be storming the whole time. It might be cold and crappy though. If you have a chainsaw bring it. You don't really need one because there's a ton of fire wood there but they do come in handy. If your girlfriend doesn't like camping in the cold and wind then you might want to wait until the weekend after next. Last year my wife and I went there at the end of July and the weather was not in my wife's favor. There were thunder storms with hail and rain, very windy, and never did get that warm all week. Needless to say but when the wife's not happy then well you know.....

T
Thuggin4Life
TTFishon said:
I'd let the thunder/lightening storm subside then get back to fishing. I checked the weather because I'm thinking of heading up there too. It's not going to be storming the whole time. It might be cold and crappy though. If you have a chainsaw bring it. You don't really need one because there's a ton of fire wood there but they do come in handy. If your girlfriend doesn't like camping in the cold and wind then you might want to wait until the weekend after next. Last year my wife and I went there at the end of July and the weather was not in my wife's favor. There were thunder storms with hail and rain, very windy, and never did get that warm all week. Needless to say but when the wife's not happy then well you know.....

Deffinantly know what you mean. My old lady isn't the biggest fan of fishing or the outdoors. But she loves the coast rain or shine, weird. My month is busy with weddings and the yearly trip to hills creek so its this weekend or not for a while. Even if my brother doesn't go I am going. Thunder storms are cooler the closer you get to the desert anyways. We use the jeep as a tent so she doesn't b%*#h to much even in the snow. That would be cool if you are there too. I'll be in a white jeep with a 12' aluminum valco on a white trailer. Blue 6 horse motor. I think my lawyer is moving court to this week so if I am not in jail I'll be there. If my bro goes we will also have a green blazer with us.

T
TTFishon
If I go I'll be in a green Ford Ranger with my 12 ft flimsy boat on a trailer. Hopefully my buddy will be there too. Oh yeah, I'll have my cream colored border collie too. Hope you don't go to jail.

T
Thuggin4Life
TTFishon said:
If I go I'll be in a green Ford Ranger with my 12 ft flimsy boat on a trailer. Hopefully my buddy will be there too. Oh yeah, I'll have my cream colored border collie too. Hope you don't go to jail.

Hopefully I don't. Don't think I will though. My lawyer was gonna change my court date to this week instead on the 14th. Called me last friday and I missed his call. When I called him back I got the voice mail and haven't heard back. Gonna take the deal so 'm getting 6 days but the will most likely end up being road crew. So it seems this weekend will be the last weekend I can operate my boat so I have to get out and fish and teach my girlfriend how to operate it. My brothers other half doesn't want to go so he isn't bringing the little guy but as of now he is going but he's gonna ride with us. So it will be just the jeep and maybe a blue S-10.

T
Thuggin4Life
Just got my hands on two boat seats. Not brand new but better than sitting on a wooden bench. This trip looks to be shaping up nice.

T
Thuggin4Life
Just talked to my lawyer. Court on the 4th but sounded like i will still have the weekend. Won't be able to operate the boat but oh well. As long as I get a few days before I have to report to jail I'll be happy. Wickiup here I come.

T
TTFishon
So what kind of fish are you going to be targeting?

T
Thuggin4Life
Gonna troll for browns in the morning/evening with rapalas. Might try koke fishing but if there not jumping I might not be able to find them. Seems that people catch rainbows and browns doing the same thing so hopefully we get into something. Gonna have to sit out on the bank during the middle of the day to keep the girlfriend happy. But I have never fished up there so it will be a learning experience for me. Been to crescent on two different trips earlier this year and came home with nothing both times.

T
TTFishon
Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Very Nice! Hope to see you up there.