Wickiup 5/19 -5/22

T
TTFishon
Shared a camping spot at Wickiup with Thuggin, BFishin, Jigs, some of Thuggins friends, and some of my friends this weekend. I showed up Thursday to get a good spot big enough for all of us.:) Loaded my boat in the water, pumped up my pontoon, set up camp, and cracked open a cold one before seeking out some fire wood. After returning with a load of wood I threw some bait on the bottom from the bank with no hits Thursday.:( Didn't fish again 'til about 10:00 Friday morning. Somewhere around 10:45 I c&r'd my smallest Wickiup brown to date, somewhere around 13 inches.:) Sorry no pic. I wanted to get it back in the drink as soon as possible. Caught another brown about 11:15 on the same bait and spot.:D Gotta pic of this one, not the greatest pic but I was alone.
100_4122.jpg
Missed a strike a little while afterward and that was it until Saturday morning when I caught a pretty good size brown bullhead, probably 13 inches or so.
Oh yeah, I took my boat out for about a minute before it started cutting out and then died right when I got back to the bank like I meant it to.lol I figured the gas was bad or something so I filled the tank with more gas and couldn't get her to fire. I thought maybe it was flooded so I let her sit and went and listened to some tunes before anyone showed up. Jigs showed up first, a little while later my friends, and then Andy and company. On Saturday while Jigs, Thuggin, Bfishin, & andy's friends were out trolling I told my buddy's kids they could take my boat out and troll around where we can still see them. We couldn't get that sucker to fire so my buddy pops open the top and figured out the reason right away. It seems I have a mouse problem where I store my boat motor. It was full of bird seed and fiber glass insulation.
Anyway, I had a really good time drinking beers and hanging out with everybody. I'm looking forward to doing it again.
Here's a couple more pics to 100_4118.jpg
100_4111.jpg
100_4117.jpg

C
capblack
it looks like you had some great weather!! nice trip

T
TTFishon
The weather was great. It rained one night but I don't think it was enough to soak anything.

Gunga
Gunga
Wheres Wikiup at?

G
GDBrown
looks like you had a great time. How bad were the mosquitoes? I saw one in the photo! I don't like bugs...... but I love to fly fish, go figure!

brandon4455
brandon4455
youngfishtyler said:
Wheres Wikiup at?

eastern oregon. it's on the deschutes i believe.

J
JeannaJigs
Oh man it was a great weekend. Very good times! I hooked a couple browns just before dark in the deschutes arm on my Dora the explorer rod. Thats right. Woulda ate them but the spit the hook hole trying to net them. Ever try getting a fish into a host with a two foot rod when you have like a 40 inch flasher and a three foot leader? Yeah...it was fun as hell though. I proved you don't need serious gear to get into some nice browns. (Andy of course said I couldn't bring the rod in his boat, but I took it anyways) was a fun trip back to the Davis arm in the dark lol. Great times around the campfire, great food, great beer, and I can finally hear out of my left ear again after shooting that .45. Only crappy thing about the whole weekend was waking up after sleep walking on the highway, with no idea how to get back to camp, frost on the ground, with no shoes or socks. Next time I think I should afix some kind of tracking device to myself before going to sleep in the woods. Thanks Andy for inviting me and convincing me to go, was a blasty blast. For reals. You guys wouldn't know about bacon on a stick if I wasn't there. That right there is a wonderful life lesson.

J
JeannaJigs
f1393b1e.jpg

1cb2e201.jpg

1f402ba6.jpg

21cd511c.jpg

Gunga
Gunga
seems like a the trip of the year!

T
TTFishon
GDBrown said:
looks like you had a great time. How bad were the mosquitoes? I saw one in the photo! I don't like bugs...... but I love to fly fish, go figure!

There were a few mosquitoes. I think I got bit 3 or 4 times.

T
TTFishon
brandon4455 said:
eastern oregon. it's on the deschutes i believe.

It's actually considered Central Oregon and yes the Dechutes runs in and out of Wickiup.

F
Finneus Polebender
Looks like the trip went very well nice lookin brown there! very many folks fishin yet or was it half way sane ?

S
Slick
JeannaJigs said:
You guys wouldn't know about bacon on a stick if I wasn't there. That right there is a wonderful life lesson.
I want to know about bacon on a stick. You shoulda taken pics of that.

H
Hawk
Great Catch, look like a Wonderful Time. :lol::lol::lol:

:clap::clap::clap:
:dance::dance:
:cool::cool:
:D:D:D

H
Hawk
Slick said:
I want to know about bacon on a stick. You shoulda taken pics of that.

monkey meat ona stick in Olongapo, Subic Bay, P.I.

J
JeannaJigs
This is from a previous bacon on a stick session at lava lake last year, but it will have to do.

9f9b339c.jpg

B
bigsteel
excellent report TT,,sounds like you guys and gals all had a blast.

J
JeannaJigs
Fo shizzle.

I am gonna have to get back up there.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
Looks like the trip went very well nice lookin brown there! very many folks fishin yet or was it half way sane ?

I never made it out to the main lake but where we were camped it wasn't a zoo at all.