Wickiup 05-14-2010----05-16-2010

T
Thuggin4Life
Me and BFishin headed up to Wickiup for the weekend in search of monster browns. Having a good trip for the opener we thought that we might finally get one over 5lbs. Broke camp and did a quick trip for firewood with the boat trailer and managed to get an evening fish in. Fished out the davis arm and down along the south shore before pulling up and motoring over to the dam. hit the dam hard and watched the sun go down and headed back to camp in low light conditions with only a couple takedowns between us and one of to may have been the bottom or a bush. The light faded fast as we crossed the lake and entered the arm in the dead of darkness with only the stars for light and no moon to be seen. after what seemed like forever we navigated back to our little finger of the arm. Built a good fire made some food and started operation beer. Windburnt and his buddy showed up and broke camp in the dark and lauched there boat and joined in on the beer drinking. woke early Saturday morning and we all headed out the arm into the lake. Started trolling the same stretch while watching the sunrise. ended up at the dam and windburnt showed up not to long after which was a susprise after not seeing him when we started fishing and he went elsewhere. After a quick discussion we took my boat over by the deschuttes channel entrance to see if we could do better than the few takedowns we had gotten. we hit this spot where I had seen some trophy trout hunters fishing and knew they had had some luck over there. Made a few runs and finally fish on. Pulled on the rod hard and though maybe it was one that would break 5lbs. Turned out to be a 20' 3lb hen not even a PB for me but a good fighter. fished a while longer without any luck so we headed back to camp for some hot food and to wait for the other boat to so up so we could go get some more firewood now haveing to trailers and 4 guys to get wood. Seen the sheriff drive by us while we were doing the last troll in the davis arm and then they blasted up to a boat that appered to be speeding. once we got closer we realized it was our buddies getting pulled over. Guess I should have told him about the 10mph speed limit. they got a warning and we all met up and make some food and got some firewood. They also had switched over to koke fishing but got niether species. After some planning we decided to go explore the deschuttes channel and headed out for an evening fish while they were gonna do there own thing. so we jumped in our boats and we headed out on our seperate ways. After getting way up in the arm without a fish to the boat we decided to pull up and just explore. ended up using the electric and going way up in the channel for some site seeing for a bit. then we trolled out the arm into the lake and pulled up after sundown and tryied to use the last bit of light to get back to camp. Cooked up some warm food and started the second round of operation beer since operation brown wasn't going as planned. When the alarm went off at 415 sunday morning I opted for a sleep in being discuraged from our 3 attemps to get some browns. It did feal good to sleep in but can't help thinking what may have happened had we hit the water one more time. Broke camp around noon and decided to go try crescent for some kokes but after checking the gas station, then the resort and even a sheriff at the ramp we never launched the boat and headed over to Odell.

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
Good job out there guys!

N
nwkiller
nice job man, way better then we did

H
Hawk
Great Pics Bro's.

Kiska is lookin Grrreat...

:lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool::cool:

T
Thuggin4Life
and some more

T
Thuggin4Life
my buddy stopped by while i was in the middle of uploading photos. thanks guys. still a fun weekend even though the fishing wasn't hot.

B
bigsteel
sounds like a great trip andy,,,,,,well have to hit wickiup together sometime

G
Griz
Looks like you did a lot of fishing but not much catching ! No such thing as a bad day fishing ! :)and great pics. Glad to see you had a back up plan with the beer ! :) and sounds like a lot of fun.

C
Cohosanders
Nice fish/pics and I always love seeing the wolf doggie(husky /malamute whatever)!!!! Nice looking trout too!!! I hooked a little cutty fishing for nooks that was gorgeous the other day. May 22nd is the opener for da rivers...:dance:STOKED:dance:....Again great pics and great job:clap:

T
Thuggin4Life
Thanks. I love getting a little cuttie on the end of my line. Very pretty fish.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Nice write-up of your weekend outing-sounds like you had a good time despite the fish not cooperating fully. Great pictures too! Really like a few of those landscape pics with the water/sky/clouds-good ones indeed. Also, beer and 4:15am wake-ups usually don't mix well together, at least that has been my experience, although I suppose there are some who would disagree. Needless to say, I wouldn't feel bad about sleeping in a little on Sunday morning.

T
Thuggin4Life
Thanks i try to get some good pics but ussually forget and end up just snapping away when i remember too. Seems like the late beer nights and early fishing mornings are getting herder than they used to be.

S
steelhead_stalkers
What we have started doing this time of year is taking a few hour break in the middle of the day to get a quick nap and food. This way you can fish hard for two or three days, drink beer late and still have the will power to get up at the crack of dawn! :D

T
Thuggin4Life
No thats an idea. we take a break miday to get out of the boat and eat some warm food and just chill. A nap would fit in just fine. gonnna try that next time.

B
Bass Ackwards
Nice report and nice fish!

H
Hawk
Thuggin4Life said:
Thanks i try to get some good pics but ussually forget and end up just snapping away when i remember too. Seems like the late beer nights and early fishing mornings are getting herder than they used to be.

Thuggin, what brand & model Digital Camera are you using for your pics??
I've been looking around on the internet, for a point&shoot digi cameras that will take good nature pics.
:D

T
Thuggin4Life
its a 3 year old pink polaroid i639. its all scratched up from me thrashing it on fishing trips but it still works like a champ. I use it on 2m so i can load photos but it will take4m 6m 8m photos. also i have gotten a lot of san and dirt on it and it still works along with dropping and banging it around. I should take it apart and clean it because every once in a while the shutters don't open all the way and now when you turn it off or go to view pictures you have to help the optics close back into the camera. but still running and I didn't go with her to pic it out so thats why its pink but it was one of the cheaper cameras.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Great report and pictures andy!!! what an awesome fish :D

I can't wait to camping, gonna go pretty soon here :)

H
Hawk
Thuggin4Life said:
its a 3 year old pink polaroid i639. its all scratched up from me thrashing it on fishing trips but it still works like a champ. I use it on 2m so i can load photos but it will take4m 6m 8m photos. also i have gotten a lot of san and dirt on it and it still works along with dropping and banging it around. I should take it apart and clean it because every once in a while the shutters don't open all the way and now when you turn it off or go to view pictures you have to help the optics close back into the camera. but still running and I didn't go with her to pic it out so thats why its pink but it was one of the cheaper cameras.

Thankyee Bro, i'll look at that one. I've used the regular film Polaroid camera fer years.

:D:D:D
:cool::cool::cool:

T
the_intimidator03
lol thuggin, Ur not the only one running around with a pink camera :p i am too