Knots breaking at the swivel

H
halibuthitman
In the last two days I have lost 3 fish, spoon, leader and both swivels due to my knots breaking at the swivel between my mono. my braided p-line, 15 lb spectra is breaking at the knot... im using the manufacturer recommended knot and gluing it... its starting to p*ss me off.

F
fishnquest
Is this a new development? Maybe the glue weakening the line?

F
fishcreekspinners
You have a bad batch of swivels? Maybe they have a lip on the eye or some burr flaw.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, my brother in law had some swivels that had a slight edge to them, it was enough to break the line. They were pretty small swivels. I only use the swivels and snap swivels that are made in the USA. I would also suggest the fish-n-fool knot for connecting your braid to your swivel. I don't think you would need glue either.

H
halibuthitman
just checked my swivels, they are mustad brand and don't seem to have a problem, thinking of switching back to mono again... was able to grab my line with leather gloves and snap it with moderate effort... mono is stronger than that. It must be bad line....:confused:

S
steelhead_stalkers
What kind of braid? Thats sounds like bad line if you can break it by hand. I can't even do that with my 10 lb braid.

H
Hook
Could be bad line but also try wetting your knot before you cinch it up.

F
fishcreekspinners
It sounds like bad line, new spool or last years line?

Any of the eye's on your rod worn or missing a ceramic insert? I had an old favorite that had a worn eye that would nick the line until I did an inspection and found it.

S
steelheadstalker31
What kind of knot are you using? I am not sure what the recommended knot is from p-line, but I would try the fishing fool or the trylene knot for the braid and you shouldn't have any problems. Braid is very picky when it comes to knots. Also, what lb test mono are you using and what brand?

H
halibuthitman
Im using 8 lb trilene... but used a scale and pulled the braid and it broke at 21 lbs of pressure..... so bad line. Im gonna respool with a new brand, not sure what but I,ll figure it out tommorow, I don't mind losing fish any other way, but breaking them off is just not something I accept very well. The spectra felt a little cheap anyway. Thanks for the input, and I will definitely try the trilene knot. :D

C
colbypearson
i would just use a palomar know if its flouro the line needs to be wetted before cinching down on itself flourocarbon is very hard much harder than mono therefor if it gets scrapped on a rock or whatever it gets like a crack type abrasion not like scratch becaus its so hard if you pullit cracks through and snaps not like mono it will not have any stretch if it has been frayed on any substances it will break very easily there are pluses and minuses of it i would recommend a good co-polymer like flouroclear somtthign of that sort with the clarity of flouro and the stretch and strength of mono --for braid i just use power pro

but for bass i jusst use 65 lb braid because not the strength but is a better appplication on a baitcast reel bcause its so thin it can be troublesome if its too thin and overruns on the spool

hope some bit of this helped :D

T
The Nothing
definitely an odd occurance that I've never had happen. Of course, I've never glued knots either. It's entirely possible that the glue is causing some issues...

I prefer palomar knots with braid. Besides being very quick to tie, it is VERY strong.

Also, whenever I buy a spool of braid, I soak it over night in soapy water. This helps break the line in, helps knots hold, and spools the line more easily.

C
colbypearson
soapy water??????? is it special outdoor scentless soap that seems to me like it would defeat the purpose does it sem to make a diffrence in your fishing i have never heard about this before:think:

H
halibuthitman
colbypearson said:
soapy water??????? is it special outdoor scentless soap that seems to me like it would defeat the purpose does it sem to make a diffrence in your fishing i have never heard about this before:think:

someone else mentioned this to me today, the same guy who told me to not glue the knots anymore, guess the gluing knots was always a bad Idea. The line was brand new, spooled 3 days ago, and must have been bad from the get go. 15lb braid-swivel- 8lb mono-swivel- lure, I don't see any problem with the system Im using, and I don't want to lose any more fish, I think im switching back to straight mono, until later this summer. Thanks guys.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Another thing some guys do when switching from mono to braid is still swing for the fences. Not to say you are one who does it but there are a lot of guys on the river that look like bassmaster pro's out there trying to rip the fish out of the water. :lol:

When you switch to braid you dont have to set the hook very hard at all. I have always used braid so I did not have to adjust to much but for those coming from mono sometimes have to let up a bit on the hook set. Braid will stick em good with just a little twitch! ;)

T
The Nothing
colbypearson said:

It doesn't need a ton of soap. just a few drops of non-ultra lemon to break the surface tension of water to allow for better penetration.

Have you ever noticed the difference of stiff braid fresh off the spool and the braid that's seen a couple casts? The soaking helps break the line in allowing for better knots and casting. Wet braid also packs onto reels better when spooling.

H
halibuthitman
just an edit here, i refered to the problem line as p-line, cause I had a spool of it sitting here in front of me on the desk, but the problem line was power pro by spectra, I returned it to Bobs and we determined it was very weak and no good. They replaced the line for me and away I went, the next post I make should have a fish in it! Thanks for the input.:)

L
livin2fish
halibuthitman said:
just an edit here, i refered to the problem line as p-line, cause I had a spool of it sitting here in front of me on the desk, but the problem line was power pro by spectra, I returned it to Bobs and we determined it was very weak and no good. They replaced the line for me and away I went, the next post I make should have a fish in it! Thanks for the input.:)

Hope things got fixed up but I like tufline xp in yellow and 30# but i only run it on my bobber rod and also they're right palomar is the best knot to use imo. Bouncing and drifting, mono works great. Stay away from the glue bro it can't be good, besides just something else to have with ya.

FISHON