why the worms

T
todd
y do the trout at lost creek lake have worms or lies or what ever it is. i cought about 10 trout today and all of them had it id there gills and some on there body.what causes this to happen

C
Combat Chuck
I know that Lost Creek has had this for years and recently the fish at Howard Prairie got this. Ive been told its nothing to worry about, I think its just something that planter trout are more prone to get???

S
simpsoti
I've heard the same thing. Caught a number of fish from applegate last summer that had the same thing. I read somewhere from ODFW they are safe to eat. But they are still gross to look at in my opinion.

T
todd
i wouldnt eat one they r gross
thanks for the info

T
Throbbit _Shane
They are fine to eat... it seems like 2/3's of the fish i caught at applegate had the infections. Just takes a little bit longer to clean is all :) lol

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey don't worry about thenm it happens. more often to planters. sometimes trout will have parasites i call not sea lice and there fine too. Now if there was an infection on the meat which I have seen that would be another story.

T
todd
thats a little scary i wouldnt want to take the chance or eatting a worm.

B
beaverfan
todd said:
thats a little scary i wouldnt want to take the chance or eatting a worm.

They are nothing to worry about. They aren't a threat to humans or most other animals. Nearly every fish you've ever caught has had some form of parasite or another. This happens to be one of the most common parasites in trout in Oregon. Millions of people have eaten millions of fish with this parasite and there's never been a case of humans getting them. So you wouldn't be taking a chance. Next time you go trout fishing check out around the gills and the base of the fins, bet you'll see a few of these little guys.

D
doublestrike
Get a (for lack of a better word) steel wool--really course, I wish I could remember the real name, and use it to de-scale the fish before you clean it, it also takes all the slime off too and you will have a better flavor when you cook it.

T
Thuggin4Life
Like a scotchbrite pad?

B
beaverfan
I use one of these

D
doublestrike
Thuggin4Life said:
Like a scotchbrite pad?

I just got home from fishing with Ron at Howard Prairie. It snowed the whole time we were there. On the way up, it was sticking and about 11/2 inches on the road. The snow plow hadn't even been there (about 0530) yet. Any way I sat right there in the boat, looked at a new package of the stuff, and I think it said Steel Scrubber, on it, but I don't remember the brand name.

We fished the area between Buck Island and the boat ramp. Caught our limit by 10:00, and It was still snowing when we left. Air temp was 28 and water temp was 45 to 46.