Why is this allowed to even go on?

M
Mike123
Why do these places allow people to "fish" like this in these types of areas???
It's pretty disgusting to see a whole line of scum bags rip setting the hook about 2 to 3 times per cast using a big hook and just a corkie. I'm sure most of you seen this on the news last year. Well it's that time of year again for the coho.

YouTube - Salmon Snagging Poaching OSP Game Warden Oregon State Police Poaching

Chromatose
Chromatose
IMO: Misdemeanor charges should be bumped up to a Felony. Get Caught blatant illegal fishing, Loose your license, Loose your gear, Loose the vehicle, and be charged with a Felony, with up to 5 years in jail. But I am a hard liner when it comes to this type of stuff.

T
Troutier Bassier
Ive seen videos of People snagging with a Fly Rod, :naughty:

T
tnffishman
yeah, but bigdog where they are fishing for those paddlefsh snagging is ALLOWED. not that I agree that it should be:naughty:

F
FishFinger
tnffishman said:
yeah, but bigdog where they are fishing for those paddlefsh snagging is ALLOWED. not that I agree that it should be:naughty:

that's right it's legal to snag paddlefish

The OP link is from 2 years ago... Classic stupidity packing out so many fish at the hatchery...

If you see snagging report them, if you can get video evidence.. Even better.

Once the silvers move in and stop biting, what's when the flossing takes over.. Hooked on the side of the head is not a legal hookup.. it's snagging all the same

Last edited:
M
Mike123
It's sad because new steelhead and salmon fishermen learn how to fish from these people! Not gonna lie, first place I ever fished was Wiley creek on the S.S. And that's how I thought you were suppose to fish! Guess I need to buy
a video camera.

B
bigdog
Sad that any snaggin would be legal any where at all. Makes me sick to think about it.

M
Markcanby
Its the only way to catch paddle fish. Im from the south an have seen it done from boats.

M
Mike123
Markcanby said:
Its the only way to catch paddle fish. Im from the south an have seen it done from boats.

Do paddle fish not eat?

B
bigdog
Mike123 said:
Do paddle fish not eat?

X2
Many would try to say that is the only way to catch coho or chinook just because they say they don't eat when they are here they are here just to spawn. They may be here to spawn but you can get them to trike believe that.

Y
youngbuck307
THATS WHY I WILL HAVE TO SPORT ONE OF KODIAK'S DEAD SNAGGER SHIRTS...... might not kill them but they will be swimming with the fishes lol

M
Markcanby
Paddle fish eat only algae

T
Troutier Bassier
T
Throbbit _Shane
Looks like they use theyre paddle nose to stir up the bottom to eat, my best guess. They defiantly look really weird. if you got a big enough one you could whack some one over the head with it like a baseball bat.

T
Troutier Bassier
People take them for there Roe.

Paddlefish Caviar is the next best thing to Black Caviar.

F
FishSchooler
All shad eat is algae. Im sure a small spinning blade doesn't look like algae. :think:

T
Troutier Bassier
Neither dose Yarn, Or a Jig.

M
Mike123
Markcanby said:
Paddle fish eat only algae

I don't think they eat just algae. A fish of that size cannot support itself on algae. They may eat what's in the algae or what's on the bottom like small fish and crustaceans.

I don't care what fish there is, it can be CAUGHT without snagging. I actaully seen a fishing show where they used bait for spoonbills.

Kokanee are considered plankton only feeders but they will bite a wide variety of bait. Same with carp.

But anyways this thread's about the snagging of COHO on certain rivers.

T
Troutier Bassier
When Someone Mentions a Slaughter Hole. Do they mean a Snagging Place on the River?