Why haven't I caught one yet

K
Kais
I am not getting really dumb or too impatient, just intelligently questioning my methods so that i can get better. Now i have been fishing with a berkely pink worm, using kind of a drift technique, and a fly rod and wooly bugger a little as well on the sandy. The sandy doesn't look like it has been producing much so is that why I haven't caught one.
Or is it that i have gone at the wrong time(around noon). Or is my technique not good enough. I think it is because i can't read the water well

T
Throbbit _Shane
Your time will come soon and you be hooking them. Try watching other people at the river that are fishing. If they are successful then really pay attention

I dont have much help to give ya. This is my first year going after the steelhead. Try spoons if you havent already. iv tagged 4 and released 2 this year all on spoons.

Good luck to ya. looking forward to your success story :D

R
RunWithSasquatch
I know someone will chime in and say the opposite of what I have to offer. But as a begining steelheader I would offer staying to the basics, IE drifting baits(eggs/shrimp), yarn and corky with scent, yarnies, bobber jig, and bait under bobber always produces...etc... My opinion is that a pink worm bite is a finicky bite, I can't say its a go too, especially in the ultra clear waters of the Sandy, it can be intimidating. More experienced steelheaders have success with it, but they are already comfortable, know how to produce fish out of a type of water, and what type of water to target. And if the fish arent there, they arent there.

Last edited:
J
JAFO
I was Steelhead fishing next to a fellow on the Salmon River in Idaho one year when a fish checker gal stopped by to see if we were having any luck. She asks Bill "Have you caught anything?" Bill replies "no". She then asks "How long have you been fishing?" Without hessitation Bill replies "Seven f**king years" I thought she was going to tip over.

H
halibuthitman
JAFO said:
I was Steelhead fishing next to a fellow on the Salmon River in Idaho one year when a fish checker gal stopped by to see if we were having any luck. She asks Bill "Have you caught anything?" Bill replies "no". She then asks "How long have you been fishing?" Without hessitation Bill replies "Seven f**king years" I thought she was going to tip over.
***** doe's anyone know where you take a laptop to get the coffee cleaned out of the keypad?

B
Bad Tuna
JAFO said:
I love a good laugh in the morning!

K
Kais
lol, thanks everyone

Irishrover
Irishrover
I would have liked to seen that fish checkers face. What a great reply funny as can be.

R
RunWithSasquatch
hahah

S
shimano22
kais the sandy has been slow. i have yet to tag one there this winter as well and i have been putting in some time there too, maybe we can meet up there this week i may be down there thursday or friday, probably cedar creek

M
mrlindeman
Do some research on reading water and human scent. These are 2 very important things to learn. Start with corkie and yarn with scent. The corkie should not be bigger in diameter than the gap of your hook. Use about a 2-4 foot leader with a pencil lead or slinky rig. If you arent hitting bottom and the water is to fast, cast farther up stream. This will give the rig more time to get to the holding area of steelhead. Fish the tail outs and eddies. These are prime holding areas for resting and feeding steelhead before they get some energy and charge for another resting zone. Keep an eye out for where the slow water meets faster more shallow water. This is know as the seem. Drift your rig through this area as it is also a great place for steel to rest. Usually a good bet is to just take a camera and hike in some areas on the river that look good and take pictures, lots of them. Then study them later and try to use that info to gain confidence in what to look for in holding areas for fish. Going out and doing this is also great if you have a s/o that likes to hike but does not prefere to fish. A good way to get out and enjoy these areas without thinking of catching. Make sure to use some kind of scent for your rig. Human scent is extremely strong to fish and you would be suprised in how many bites you might have missed due to this one thing alone if someone were able to tell you. Remember its never just a couple things that gets steelhead on the line, rather a combination of things. Once you get it down its second nature to know where to fish. after that its your presentation that gets them to bite. Research this as well. I wish you the best of luck. I am still learning myself but have had many more bites and found way more fish once I learned these things.

J
JAFO
Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Couldn't help it, came back to me just like it was yesterday. I still remember the beer foam coming out of my nose!

S
skunk
You gotta wait till your frustrated enough to almost throw your gear in the water and call it quits. Then you'll get one and wonder what the heck just happened. Haha.

W
waco
skunk said:
You gotta wait till your frustrated enough to almost throw your gear in the water and call it quits. Then you'll get one and wonder what the heck just happened. Haha.
that always works!!! ;)