Why don't bass fisherman keep bass?

N
Native Fisher
I got my boys started on fishing this summer and warm water fish bite so well it seems a good target for kiddos. I watch a lot of videos on youtube and watch people on the lake. My biggest question is why on earth don't Bass fisherman seem to keep any of them to eat? They taste great, seems odd that so many just catch and release.

C
critterbob
personally I don't like the taste and as you say...they are so easy to catch they probably keep a few and have a ton in the freezer

hobster
hobster
I know the larger ones don't taste nearly as good, maybe they are catching larger fish and releasing. I don't really eat bass either, but my buddy loves em in fish tacos and only keeps smaller fish.

4labs
4labs
Also depends on the water they live in. Get one out Billy Chinook and they taste great or a small mouth out of the Deschutes but ones that live in some ponds can be pretty bad, just need more seasoning.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I don't keep any from the Willy. I do keep them from other places. I like the ones no larger than about 8-10 inches. I grew up eating ones from
Cold Springs res. in Hermiston and the JD mostly. I love them fried with Grits and Hush Puppies. The Hush Puppy recipe is my Grand Mothers. She grew up in Florida. :thumb:

W
wils
SMB are real tastey. LMB? Not so much.

4labs
4labs
can't remember what lake or lakes it was but fish and game wanted you to keep any bass under 10 inches and I think no limit.

G
Gulfstream
If you keep em keep the small ones and let the big spawners go...

plumbertom
plumbertom
EOBOY;n612871 said:
I don't keep any from the Willy. I do keep them from other places. I like the ones no larger than about 8-10 inches. I grew up eating ones from
Cold Springs res. in Hermiston and the JD mostly. I love them fried with Grits and Hush Puppies. The Hush Puppy recipe is my Grand Mothers. She grew up in Florida. :thumb:

I know there is no size restrictions on them but a Black Bass, large or small mouth, needs to be around 12'' to be mature enough to spawn.
So how you view the species should dictate whether you take those smaller fish or release them.

EOBOY
EOBOY
plumbertom;n612877 said:
I know there is no size restrictions on them but a Black Bass, large or small mouth, needs to be around 12'' to be mature enough to spawn.
So how you view the species should dictate whether you take those smaller fish or release them.

Anything over 10" start to taste a little gammy for me. Although I do like to eat the row.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Part of it is respecting the resource. Bass can be found in large and small bodies of water. A lot of guys fish small ponds and if the fish were kept the fishing in the future will suffer. You could pose this same question to fly fishermen who strictly catch and release trout. To a lot of people fishing isn't just about taking some fillets home.

Reactions: colt