Why do coho jump?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
"Coho was born in the river. When he was very young, he swam down the river into the ocean. Along his journey he watched others and learned from them. He also learned from his own mistakes and successes. Soon he knew when to use his strength and when to use his knowledge to survive.

Coho liked to try things, so one day he decided to see what was above the ocean waves. He swam straight up and shot through the surface into the air. Coho felt the warmth of the sun on his skin; he saw the birds in the sky and the animals on the land. But all too soon he fell back into the sea. He did not give up. He practiced his jumps, each one getting higher and longer, until he could jump almost to the sky itself.

When Coho grew old he returned to the river of his birth but it had changed. Wind had toppled an old tree across the channel, blocking the way for all the salmon. But Coho knew how to get them all past. He showed the other salmon how to jump. One by one they swam up, leapt into the air and landed on the other side of the log. When all the fish were past the log, Coho jumped over also and followed them to the place of his birth where he helped spawn the next generation of salmon.

And this is why out in the ocean and rivers we see Coho practicing their jumps, so they will not be stopped by any obstacle on their journey through life."

(paraphrased from "Eagle's Reflection and other Northwest Coast Stories" by Jim Challenger)

EOBOY
EOBOY
That's very cool

M
mikeredding
That's very cool. I have always wondered why they jump so much. Now I know!

R
_RJ_
All I know is that out in the ocean coho fishing may require a helmet haha. Nice story

T
Throbbit _Shane
I thought it was because they dont have middle fingers.

Casting Call
Casting Call
It's beyond my world why fish jump. As Humans we must live,learn,practice what animals do TO fully understand the WHYS of it all. It's called the "Nature of Beast" (Jane Goodall)when we don't understand.Tony

Chromatose
Chromatose
Good Post Rodger. Reminded me of a photo I copied as I thought it was a good one to have.

cohojumping_zps08a7e75c.jpg

Majestic!!!

jamisonace
jamisonace
On a kinda related note:

The natives in the Umpqua valley had a way of knowing when to migrate upriver to harvest fish.

The saying was, "fish jump the falls when the dogwood blooms"

I believe the falls they would set their fish camp at was what we call deadline falls.

Q
qwapaw
Wow, and all these years I have been told it was to get the sea lice off of them. Qwapaw

T
troutmasta
Throbbit _Shane said:
I thought it was because they dont have middle fingers.

X2

M
montym
For almost all my life, Salmon has been a strange fish that shows up on TV often. I scarcely find this picture believable, why would that fish try to climb that mountain in a spoonful of water? Incredible.

Chromatose said:
Good Post Rodger. Reminded me of a photo I copied as I thought it was a good one to have.

cohojumping_zps08a7e75c.jpg

Majestic!!!

T
troutmasta
montym said:
For almost all my life, Salmon has been a strange fish that shows up on TV often. I scarcely find this picture believable, why would that fish try to climb that mountain in a spoonful of water? Incredible.

If I'd been waiting my whole life to 'meet a lady' I'd climb a waterfall too.

Reactions: bagold53
my2labs
my2labs
Cool story. And troutmasta x2 buddy for your above post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Camo
"Eagle's Reflection and other Northwest Coast Stories" by Jim Challenger

.....That is one book I have to buy!

Thank you
rogerdodger !

;)