Who needs fishing gear?

K
Komatoast

Last edited by a moderator:
S
sapo
I don't think having a dog kill spawning salmon is very ethical, or legal (wherever this was).

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I agree, that is a disgusting video showing what is probably illegal activity. I will not be surprised if YouTube or the person that uploaded it takes that down very soon.

I
Iki Jime
At the end of the video, a disclosure states, "All the salmon in this video had finished their spawn and are at the end of their life cycle. However they were still placed back in the water to die naturally and feed the wild life in the area."

If this disclosure is true, then it provides some context for the ethics involved with the content. Let's suppose that it took place in Alaska, where (from what I've heard), the salmon are still in excess of what the predator and angler/ commercial fisheries can take from their population. Let's suppose that AFTER they've spawned, then their life span has pretty much met its expiration at this point. They are dead given a matter of time. If they were still returned to the river alive in order to feed the local wildlife, would this be considered a horrible case of wasted resources?

I'm not by any means defending the video producer. I just wanted to play devil's advocate. At one time, our resources were ridiculously bountiful. Fish, Deer and Elk were seemingly limitless. Are our current laws and regulations due to our over-commercialization and over-indulgence? Are there still places where resources are still abundant enough that an already dying fish might be considered a minute loss?

T
troutmasta
That is a terrible video-

Not to mention they are chum salmon which are protected in many places.

and Zen- things like this are the reason our resources are no longer "bountiful".

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
setting aside whether the fish are pre-spawn, spawning, or spawned-out, how about redds full of fertilized eggs in the stream bed?

S
sapo
@rogerdodger and @troutmasta

Agreed..terrible video

K
Komatoast
WOW, a lotta Marshal Dillions...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
well, this is an internet forum where people share their opinions without insulting or attacking other members.

as for a claim that these are spawned out zombies, I disagree due to their appearance and if you check at 2:16 seconds there appears to be sperm pouring out of that fish, indicating that dog is disturbing and killing these chum salmon during or just before spawning.

S
sapo
Yep Rodgerdodger excellent response, good points.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
I have to agree! I have seen this video pop up in a few different places and flamed every one of the people who posted it. I will not do that here but it disgusts me as well. Those fish are trying to achieve a very delicate goal and it aggravates me to see anything disturb the process.

Cheers,

Chris

I
Iki Jime
I guess I have a lot to learn yet about the lifecycles of salmon. I didn't think that I dog could wade in to shallow water and just grab a salmon unless it was in the process of dying already. Come to think of it, I don't think I've even seen one that wasn't still in the tide portion of the river.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
ZenAntiHero3374 said:
I guess I have a lot to learn yet about the lifecycles of salmon. I didn't think that I dog could wade in to shallow water and just grab a salmon unless it was in the process of dying already. Come to think of it, I don't think I've even seen one that wasn't still in the tide portion of the river.

salmon 'getting busy' in the shallows are very focused on what they are doing..

G
Gary W
These fish were not dark enough to be spawned out either.

E
eugene1
Salmon often spawn in a few different places in the river. It's hard to know if they are finished or not and even if they are done, the female will guard her redds until she dies.