Who does rod repair in Eugene?

X
xltom
Anybody know who can throw a new line guide on a rod here in the Eugene area? How much do they charge? I'm not sure it's worth it but I hate to throw away an otherwise perfect rod. It just lost the ceramic insert. Thanks for any tips. Tom

G
grampa ron
Take it to the Caddis Fly Shop. The last I knew it was $5 per eye

X
xltom
Thanks, I just called them. They couldn't nail down a price and have to send the rod out for repair, Same with Mazama. How long ago was it 5$?

1 nut in the water
Call Mike @ ORRT

X
xltom
1 nut in the water said:
Call Mike @ ORRT

Not a fan of that guy. Won't be taking my business there. Thanks though!

J
JeannaJigs
What's the make/model of the rod?

X
xltom
abu ambassadeur AMB862MH 8'6" med heavy. I have another rod that needs a line guide as well. Neither are very expensive but like I said I have a hard time throwing stuff away and both are rods that I like.

J
JeannaJigs
I'm pretty rusty and don't want to be responsbile lol, but I think you could fix it on your own for very little money with supplies from www.mudhole.com, they have some pretty good tutuorial info on rod building and have great prices on materials.

X
xltom
JeannaJigs said:
I'm pretty rusty and don't want to be responsbile lol, but I think you could fix it on your own for very little money with supplies from www.mudhole.com, they have some pretty good tutuorial info on rod building and have great prices on materials.

Meh. Usually I'm down for a diy project but if someone can do a good job for around 10 bucks an eye I can't see how doing it myself is worth it. Do you have a rod wrapping rig?

J
JeannaJigs
I built one, but it was taking up room and got rid of it since my rod building projects got put on hold. Someday, I'll get back to them. The only guys that used to do rod and reel repair were the guys at 2 bros, and they sold their shop to mazama's, and they're entirely hands off. It's not the tip is it? Those are a 5 minute fix that I've done no less than a dozen times. Wrapped guides take longer, but really are quite simple once you get the old guide off.

X
xltom
neither are tips. I looked up how to do the repair and that's the part that worried me most... getting the old epoxy and thread off without ruining the blank. And I don't have the aforementioned wrapping rig. I'm gonna hit caddisfly tomorrow and if it's too much I'll just buy new rods I guess.

J
JeannaJigs
You're not a chick so they'll probably treat you respectfully, but that's one shop I will not give a single cent to.

Wrapping rigs are super easy to diy, but getting the old guide off can be a pain. Used to be a few members that built rods but all the old members on here are gone it seems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

X
xltom
JeannaJigs said:
You're not a chick so they'll probably treat you respectfully, but that's one shop I will not give a single cent to.

Wrapping rigs are super easy to diy, but getting the old guide off can be a pain. Used to be a few members that built rods but all the old members on here are gone it seems.

Damn. They disrespected you? We need a good pro shop in Eugene. I miss 2bros tackle

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Yeah I don't shop there anymore I went in wearing my scrubs to buy materials for jigs and was treated so awful like I couldn't possibly know what I wanted or what I was talking about. I gave them another shot and it was the same experience. No more.

J
JeannaJigs
I would give that guy a call and see what his rates are and then check out his work. Seems like it might be a good source. Just don't get knife murdered, it is Craigslist after all lol

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have friend in Elmira that is fixing a rod for me right now.i think he usually charges $10 but I had him special order a tip so mine might be more. I can ask if he wants me to pass you his number if the creswell guy doesn't work out. Let me know.

X
xltom
JeannaJigs said:
Yeah I don't shop there anymore I went in wearing my scrubs to buy materials for jigs and was treated so awful like I couldn't possibly know what I wanted or what I was talking about. I gave them another shot and it was the same experience. No more.

That sucks. I will never understand that. When I meet a chick who can fish like you can, I am mucho impressed. Wait, I only(personally) know one other bad ass fisherwoman. My aunt Cathy fishes redfish tourneys down in florida. If they doubt your skills, show them how well you can whip a plug straight at their sexist faces. Or tell em you are a mod on OFF! Congrats on that by the way.