Whitetail bow hunting in Virginia

S
shimano22
First of all I would just like to say that this forum is great I lived in Oregon for two years while going to school and miss it a ton. I fished every spare chance I got out there and posted on this forum a couple of times, but I mostly just like to admire all the wonderful fish ya'll are able to catch out there. I moved back to my home state in July and have literally not fished a single day since I have been back, and let me tell you I miss the feeling of a steelhead on my line. I still get on here and see what Im missing out there in the fishing world. Well I have found another hobby that takes up my spare time since coming back to Virginia and that is hunting. I grew up with several uncles who hunted and never went once until this year. For christmas I got a new compound bow and got everything dialed in. I have permission to hunt a nice piece of private land about five minutes from my house and after hunting hard for the past week, seeing deer every day I went out, and missing a deer last friday night i killed my first ever deer on monday morning. The rush of drawing the bow, releasing the arrow and hearing the thwack of the arrow hitting its mark is an indescribable feeling for those who have never hunted before. I sat and watched 9 does and two bucks one 8 point and one six point all morning from the time the sun came up to when i got my buck. They stayed on the opposite side of the field the entire morning with the does running around and the two bucks occasionally locking antlers. Then around 0845 directly across the field from me two spike bucks emerged and after eating some grass headed directly towards me. When the one in front went behind a tree I drew so when he popped out I would have him in my sights he stepped out from behind the tree at 20 yards broadside and I released my arrow. He jumped and took off but I had seen right where the arrow hit and knew he was not going far. I walked out in the field following a very pronounced blood trail and not 50 yards from where I hit him just over a little ridge he was lying motionless. I was by myself and having never dressed or actually seen someone dress a deer I was relying on youtube videos I had watched a few days prior to guide me. What an experience all around. All I can say now is that I am hooked on bowhunting and i am not looking back. 0109120903b.jpg0109120903a.jpgDSC03608.jpg

T
TTFishon
Sweet report man!!! That's a nice first buck!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Impressive for your first ever kill! Looks like you're a fast learner and a darn good shot. Stay in touch and come back often.

J
jabs67
Sweet shot! Congrats. :cool:

S
shimano22
thanks everyone it was quite a fun time, i just wish i did not wait 25 years to experience the thrill

Reactions: Slick
S
Slick
Good job man. I know the thrill as well.

S
shainayap06
I can’t imagine how happiness you felt catching this awesome deer! It’s not obvious that you are so proud of having it. This is so impressive anyways.