Whitefish for dinner?

A
adambomb
So, I caught a 14" Mountain Whitefish today, and it was the first fish I've caught in a couple months so I was totally pumped! Does anybody eat them?

Last edited by a moderator:
M
meluvtrout
adambomb said:
So, I caught a 14" Mountain Whitefish today, and it was the first fish I've caught in a couple months so I was totally pumped! Does anybody eat them?

yup, raccoons love'em...

T
Thuggin4Life
You can eat it. Where did you get it?

A
adambomb
Thuggin4Life said:
You can eat it. Where did you get it?

I caught it in the lower Molalla, have you ever eaten one?

T
Thuggin4Life
Are we talking about pikeminnow? I did once. I save them for crab bait or give them to my aunt. She don't complain.

T
TTFishon
I've never eaten one, but I heard they're not bad just kind of greasy. If you kept it cook it up and let us know.

A
adambomb
No, not pike minnow. I just read up on them and turns out they are a member of the salmonid family. Also, turns out they can be quite tasty, comparable to trout. In the willamette unit the season for them is open during all trout, salmon, and steelhead seasons, and there is no size or bag limit. Had I known all this earlier today, I would have bonked him. Needless to say, I'll bonk the next one just to find out what they taste like!!

O
osmosis
You need to go catch some steelhead Adam!

Theres some massive whitefish in the clack. Fish it with a maggot or small bugs sometime when it gets warmer.

A
adambomb
osmosis said:
You need to go catch some steelhead Adam!

Theres some massive whitefish in the clack. Fish it with a maggot or small bugs sometime when it gets warmer.

I know! I'm tryin, trust me. I'm thinking about trying for some of those dog creek brooders in the next few weeks. I also just picked up some sweet private property access upstream from the mouth of milk creek.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
I have run them through the smoker before......edible yet boney:confused:

M
Mike123
Yea Whitefish are not carp, suckers, or pikeminnow. They are actually a pretty cool fish. Is there a bag limit on them?? Every year I try to tell people(including my friends), not to kill them because they are Whitefish, not suckers. :lol: I caught a couple last year on the S. Sant. Long time ago we had a HUGE run of them. I remeber by Wiley Creek the bottom of the river was solid Whitefish. Caught them in the Metolious too.

T
Thuggin4Life
I know we have done this before but can someone explain the difference between white fish and pikeminnows. they look about the same to me. pictures would help.

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:
I know we have done this before but can someone explain the difference between white fish and pikeminnows. they look about the same to me. pictures would help.

Just google it Andy. Whitefish are real silvery, while NPM are goldish and look like carp/suckers. I think the whitefish kinda have really forked, pointy tail fins. NPM have larger mouths and NO adipose fin. Whitefish have peamouths and an adipose.

NPM are trash fish and you should kill them because they eat smolt. Whitefish can't fit fish in their mouths, but they can eat a few loose eggs.. but hey, they are native fish, and a good fighting native fish at that! :)

Last edited:
C
CFishRun
Michigan's Two Cents:

White fish in Michigan are a targeted species and take well to smoke. In fact I don't think you can over smoke these buggers and they taste excellent. A little bony but throw the whole darn thing on the smoker head and all to enjoy a real treat. The meat in the head is danty but it is delicious.

These fish can be found in lakes and are regularly pulled through the ice. If I were targeting them I'd use a bobber and small ice fishing spoon or jig and a wax worm (commonly used for steelhead in Michigan), worm tail tip, maggot (spikes), mousie (Bee larvae I think-It's a maggot with a tail and they flat out produce especially for panfish), or simply bottom bounce a worm or ball of roe.

I caught the most beautiful speciman of mountain whitefish from the Deschutes. It rivaled those red sides in color. The purples color explodes out of the sides of the Deschutes Whitefish. Awesome stuff.

T
Thuggin4Life
I see very similar though. I have a few NPM in my feezer for bait. never get tossed back. now i wonder how many were whitefish that i have killed over the years. hopefully slim whitefish casulties in my NPM killing sprees. I'll study the google pics a bit more.

O
OnTheFly
And yes, white fish are concidered a game fish...but so are shad. They are both cool to catch but IMO should not be allowed at the dinner table. Also, don't give it too much credit in the smoker either because with enough wood chips, brown sugar and salt, even smoked shoe leather would taste good.:shock::lol: The blue highlighted quote below is good advice from osmosis.:cool:

You need to go catch some steelhead

Last edited:
C
CFishRun
A soap box moment:
I love the sentiment from those fisherman who snide the "other" fish. "If it isn't Salmon or Steelhead it must not be worth catching." Yet who hasn't enjoyed the tug of the Whitefish during a slow day of trouting?

Here is a challenge for the not so faint of heart. Try catching every trash fish you can think of in one years time. NPM, Whitefish, Shad, Carp, Sucker, Channel Catfish, etc. I think some will find these fish both challenging and worth the effort. Double the difficulty and do it on a 5w fly rod.

How many salmon/steelheaders can honestly say they've had 50 fish days or even 100?

I don't need a $400 setup or even $100 setup to catch channel cats and if I target NPM's I get paid to catch and keep them.

FYI panfish are awesome targets on fly gear. Find me a 15lb blue gill and I will find you a fish that can not be landed. Pound for pound the best fight. (arguably of course, but isn't that what this is all about)

"Apparantley that horse you rode in on has given you a chafe." Perhaps I should step down off my high horse.

Just felt like rambling so there's two more cents.

O
OnTheFly
I think you need to go back and review the thread title. Catching is not the issue...eating white fish was.:rolleyes:

H
halibuthitman
whitefish are extremely fun to catch on a 5wt flyrod, of course whitefish eat smolt, one of the best flies for them is a muddler minnow or woolheaded sculpin, and its funny how if salmon, steelhead and sturgeon fishermen practiced the same self imposed rules those redneck bass lovin fishermen did it wouldn't matter if anything ate smolts anyway.... so lets take a lesson from our nascar lovin worm throwin bassers..... stop killing everything you catch, and there are no garbage fish. don't eat the whitefish.... or the yellow snow.