White fish\suckers

T
travis_lightner
seems white fish have taken over the river my dad lives 3 miles out madras hwy on the river lately i have only caught white fish and small rainbows. When he first moved in(4 years ago) we would reel in some nice size rainbows and lots of them. Wonder what has happened? DID I get all the rainbows in the crooked river ??? LOL.

troutdude
troutdude
That very thing happened to one of my favorite bass rivers too (several years ago & hear in the valley). Not sure how that happens, but it sure is a big BUMMER!

[the river I am referring to is the Long Tom]

T
TTFishon
travis_lightner said:
seems white fish have taken over the river my dad lives 3 miles out madras hwy on the river lately i have only caught white fish and small rainbows. When he first moved in(4 years ago) we would reel in some nice size rainbows and lots of them. Wonder what has happened? DID I get all the rainbows in the crooked river ??? LOL.

How often do you fish that river and do you keep all the larger rainbows?

M
Mike123
Whitefish are not "sucker fish".... Most Whitefish are native species. I like catching whitefish... but I HATE Northern pikeminnow and the squaws...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Just curious as to which part of the Crooked River you are fishing? The River ends at Culver where it becomes part of Lake Billy Chinook. I have ventured up that part of the river as far as you can get in a drift boat. It has pleanty of suckers in it, not the best trout water though. If you fiish over by Bowman dam (Prineville area) there are tons of nice rainbow in that strech of water. The water from Lake Billy Chinook to Smith Rock is tuff to get to. I lhave a place at Opal Spring (Culver area) that is less than a mile from the river but it's about a mile straight down and I'm not much of a moutain goat. I haven't fished the strech from Smith Rock to Prineville. Not much access as it is mostly private land and with the Deschutes so close I haven't bothered. Have you ventured onto the Deschutes? Once this weather warms up it will fish a lot better than the Crooked and you'll have a good shot at some big bow.;)

C
cookshot
Same thing is currently happening to a creek I grew up fishing in the valley and get back to about once a year. Are you talking whitefish or squaw? Until recently I thought they were the same thing. I generally turn them into fertilizer. I know I can't make a dent, but I like to think that I'm doing something.

T
travis_lightner
cookshot said:
Same thing is currently happening to a creek I grew up fishing in the valley and get back to about once a year. Are you talking whitefish or squaw? Until recently I thought they were the same thing. I generally turn them into fertilizer. I know I can't make a dent, but I like to think that I'm doing something.

Iam not sure exactly what type of fish they are, they have sucker mouths and completly white with a shade of gold on the big ones ive caught. I dont mind catching them something is better than nothing.

T
travis_lightner
Mike123 said:
Whitefish are not "sucker fish".... Most Whitefish are native species. I like catching whitefish... but I HATE Northern pikeminnow and the squaws...

im not sure what they are exactly but they are white i will have to do some more research i guess

M
Mike123
travis_lightner said:
im not sure what they are exactly but they are white i will have to do some more research i guess

Yea all Im saying is just dont kill em... I'd much rather catch a bow like you were saying anyday. I just see some people here on the South Sant. kill them thinking they are trash fish. :)

T
travis_lightner
TTFishon said:
How often do you fish that river and do you keep all the larger rainbows?

i have released about half of them back and ate the other half. my dad lives 20 yards or so from the river off madras hwy when i lived there i would fish it daily and sometimes twice a day. i have moved to bend recently and go there every other week or so but i do fish it when im there.

Last edited:
T
travis_lightner
Mike123 said:
Yea all Im saying is just dont kill em... I'd much rather catch a bow like you were saying anyday. I just see some people here on the South Sant. kill them thinking they are trash fish. :)
no worries i throw em back every time tried to eat one not very good at all and a lot of big bones.

T
travis_lightner
troutdude said:
That very thing happened to one of my favorite bass rivers too (several years ago & hear in the valley). Not sure how that happens, but it sure is a big BUMMER!

[the river I am referring to is the Long Tom]
i have never fished the loing tom to mudy for me but if there is fish in it i would like to try my uncle lives in monroe and i gosee him every once in awhile