Whip finish on jigs?

D
Dweller
Do you use a whip finish knot on Jigs? I tied a few up this weekend for the first time after not tying anything in 2-3 years, and that was all flies. I found the whip finish tool to be awkward at best with the jig head getting in the way so thought I would throw it out there and see how you guys finish off your jigs.

Thanks!

M
mlw
A couple half hitches also work.
Michael

L
lilsalmon
I could never get enough coordination for the tool so I just do 3 or 4 half hitches also

J
JeannaJigs
half hitch for sure. Whip finish is the devil.

F
fish_4_all
I whip finish all my jigs and flies. I use a whip finisher with the figure 4 which might make it easier. I love them because I can really sinch down the finish and make sure it will never come undone. It helps secure everything because I won't use anything but water based head cement.

F
FishFinger
ditto 2-3xs to be 2-3x sure the knot holds

D
Dweller
Thanks guys, I will give up the whip finish tool on these I think. It can be frustrating to get to the very end of the process and hit a snag like that, but there are ways around it!

F
fish_4_all
Regular Whip Finisher, Fly Tying Tools

Thats the one I use without any problems even on large jig heads. and I whip it 8-13 times to make sure it is tied off. Have never had one of my ties come unraveled. Overkill, maybe but it works. A good tight chenille wrap to the head hides just about anything.

F
FishFinger
fish_4_all said:
Regular Whip Finisher, Fly Tying Tools

Thats the one I use without any problems even on large jig heads. and I whip it 8-13 times to make sure it is tied off. Have never had one of my ties come unraveled. Overkill, maybe but it works. A good tight chenille wrap to the head hides just about anything.

lol I use the same style WF tool, and I agree with a little practice you can open the figure 4 and dodge the jig head.

D
Dweller
Hmm.. I have one of those, I just forgot how to use it. Off to Youtube to refresh my memory and try it out. I was using the other style on the jigs that were giving me so much trouble.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Whip finish all jigs and flies. I use the old school long handled whip finish tools, no problems at all.

M
markasd
Never been a fan of the tool - I go old-school and tie whip finish with my fingers... usually 7-10 wraps. I dont use head cement with good whip finish.

Yes - whip finish em..

M
mrlindeman
JeannaJigs said:
half hitch for sure. Whip finish is the devil.

blasphemy!! LOL LOL just kiddin Jeanna. A half hitch or two is just fine on any fly or jig. Just try to seal it with some king of head finisher. I alternate and it just depends on what the situation is. :)

I
ibfishin
I use a standard whip finisher, tried half hitches ( arthritis ouch!)

S
Sinkline

Last edited: