Which way do I go......

L
lilsalmon
Okay...I had my unemployment hearing today and have to wait for the letter to arrive....I NEED TO FISH.....I want to hit the Santiam and kind of know where I want to go but would appreciate some advice... I am temporarily without wading shoes so it will be bank for me.......tank you veddy veddy much....:D

R
RLK
The south fork would probably be your best bet right now. There are better numbers and better conditions. The only bad thing is that the better numbers and better conditions also come with more people. Good luck

L
lilsalmon
Thanks.....thats actually where I was planning to go. Never been there yet believe it or not but I have a couple spots I want to try. The gals were supposed to meet up there Saturday but I have to go make money instead.

R
RLK
Waterloo is always a good place to go, and they are getting good amounts of fish up to the damn. Good luck with your trip and catch one for me.
Rich

L
lilsalmon
Thanks...I will give it a good try....

T
TTFishon
A guy at work keeps telling me to go to a spot on the S fork called Pleasant Valley. It's right before you get into Sweethome. Here's a google link.
Google Maps Apparently this is one of the fish recycle dump spots.

L
lilsalmon
Thanks TT.......rain...grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

T
TTFishon
No problem. Waterloo is on the way to this spot too. And if you make it to Pleasant Valley you may as well try below Foster Dam too. Good luck.

H
Hawk
lilsalmon said:
Okay...I had my unemployment hearing today and have to wait for the letter to arrive....I NEED TO FISH.....I want to hit the Santiam and kind of know where I want to go but would appreciate some advice... I am temporarily without wading shoes so it will be bank for me.......tank you veddy veddy much....:D

Sis, if'n you have a leak in your wading shoes, it mite be worthwhile trying to stop the leak with GOOP
This is GOOP

Try to apply it on the inside of shoe...let it dry thoroughly.

Try to apply on the outside of shoe...let dry.....

I've never had a leaking shoe...but it's a Great product & i've used this stuff fer many fixes.

Best of Luck to yee

:lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool::cool:

J
JeannaJigs
All I can say is GOOD LUCK. The water conditions are not ideal. Yesterday's nasty hail storm didn't help (It was a painful cold experience). I'd fish the mainstem santiam if you're gonna, there's a few fish down there. I myself don't know any bank spots though, only ran it in my boat. All this rapid change in temperature is really screwing with the springers. You might still do okay at the deadline at foster for steelhead, but, have fun with the locals.

B
BigShayne
JeannaJigs said:
You might still do okay at the deadline at foster for steelhead, but, have fun with the locals.

So I agree with her. I'd rather go ANYWHERE but foster dam. Lot's of people who think they own the place. In my defense I haven't been there this year. so I guess it could have changed.

There is a little bank access on Santiam at the rest stop in I-5. Let us know how it goes.

L
lilsalmon
Hawk said:
Sis, if'n you have a leak in your wading shoes, it mite be worthwhile trying to stop the leak with GOOP
This is GOOP

Try to apply it on the inside of shoe...let it dry thoroughly.

Try to apply on the outside of shoe...let dry.....

I've never had a leaking shoe...but it's a Great product & i've used this stuff fer many fixes.

Best of Luck to yee

:lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool::cool:

Thanks Hawk...actually there wasn't a leak, they were worthless...guess I need to spend more money on them. Water Skeeters should be called Water Skaters....grrrrr....put a huge damper on our float trip on the Deschutes.....Irishrover had some Korkers when he stopped at our camp that were sweet.....very lightweight and a lot of felt. I will be lookin around for good deals, though.

Thanks Jeanna...I actually didn't go...I don't mind rain but there was a bit much today. Also, I fit right in with tho loco's...:lol:..oh, I am sorry you said locals....hehe. There is actually a couple spots I want to try so hopefully Sunday.

L
lilsalmon
BigShayne said:
So I agree with her. I'd rather go ANYWHERE but foster dam. Lot's of people who think they own the place. In my defense I haven't been there this year. so I guess it could have changed.

There is a little bank access on Santiam at the rest stop in I-5. Let us know how it goes.

The rest stop is one of my favorite places.......I am heading to Salem so maybe I will stop there and take a look see.....BTW, I have no desire to fish at Foster Dam...and welcome to the Forum.

T
TTFishon
lilsalmon said:
Thanks Hawk...actually there wasn't a leak, they were worthless...guess I need to spend more money on them. Water Skeeters should be called Water Skaters....grrrrr....put a huge damper on our float trip on the Deschutes.....Irishrover had some Korkers when he stopped at our camp that were sweet.....very lightweight and a lot of felt. I will be lookin around for good deals, though.

Thanks Jeanna...I actually didn't go...I don't mind rain but there was a bit much today. Also, I fit right in with tho loco's...:lol:..oh, I am sorry you said locals....hehe. There is actually a couple spots I want to try so hopefully Sunday.

I read in a magazine that carpet glued to the bottom of slippery shoes works great.

H
hick
TTFishon said:
I read in a magazine that carpet glued to the bottom of slippery shoes works great.

Quite well actually! I'm a broke redneck so i took some old work boots with the sole worn down, a tube of PL (polyurethane construction adhesive). and some scrap carpet and made a pair of wading boots. they look awful but work better than my old boot foot waders did. just my two cents!

troutdude
troutdude
I stopped by Wholesale Sports this morning (formerly Sportsmans Wherehouse) in Salem. The reader board said to try the mainstem for springers.

And yes, Pleasant Valley has been VERY HOT lately for "recycled" summers. The hatchery peeps have already recycled 1200 summers so far; for a second and even a third run!

I work w/ a chap who lives in Sweet Home and used to work and Dan Dee Sporting Goods (just up the road from Pleasant Valley bridger). So, I get reports almost daily.

Go get 'em sis!

WORD...when peeps find out about a "recycle dump"...Pleasant Valley can be more crowded that a hornet's nest!

C
capblack
the only spots to bank fish the main, that i know of are the rest area and jefferson, and maybe the boat ramp at the confluence of the willamette, but ive never been there. the board at sportsmans has said the same thing the last 5 or 6 times ive been there, over 2 or 3 weeks, but its probably still a good bet to hit the main for springers and steel that is. good luck, Brian

L
lilsalmon
unfortunately, the rain has kept me from fishing.....also got the nice letter in the mail....denied unemployment again....bustards......the system in this state sucks big time but what do you do with an ex supervisor that lies and then lies under oath :tongue:.......all the people sucking the system dry that don't want to work and the legit ones get denied...grrrrr (I think I just hijacked my own thread....:lol:)

Anyway, still gonna fish in between standing on the corner at Albertson's with my son and dog....:lol: :lol:

No better therapy than a good day of fishin.....:yay: