Which Trout Rod to Buy?

M
meluvtrout
As some of you might have read, I managed to break the tip of my Shimano Stimula last week. I'm planning on getting the same one, but I'd like to also try something new and reasonable as well(under $50)
I've been reading about rods all weekend and so far these are the top of my list:

Shimano Compre : $89-$99(if I'm getting this one I'll pass on the Stimula)
Okuma Celilo Ultra Light: $19-$24 (mostly good reviews, but has alignment issues)
Daiwa Heartland Tournament Trout: $34
Okuma Guide Select: $66

Any suggestions?

18406ej
18406ej
I love the feel of my Shimano Clarus rod ($69-$89). Buy it at Sportsman's Warehouse and it is guaranteed for life. Simply break your tip by accidentally slamming it in the car door, walk into the store, and they hand you a new one, no questions asked.

L
luv2fish
I've a 6'6 shakespeare trout rod...the famous... ugly stick... sensitive as well as can handle ultralight line wih ease....i've casted 4# easily with small egg on a teeny hook and have caught 20 inchers ..for the price $ 19.99 i'll say its the best,,,,can handle monsters trout too like the one you get at lost lake...

F
FishSchooler
At joes, there is a reel and rod combo made by shakespear and inspinity, the reel is silver and blue, kinda same with the rod. 7',reel is very smooth and can cast very good. Good for bass, trout, and steelies. :D It is very easy to see.
Oh yeah, its something like 40 bucks when I got it.

C
Combat Chuck
I have a Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite that is 7' ($35?). I really enjoy the action on it, I think its actually intended for kokanee. I have a handful of trout rods but this is the only nicer one that I actually purchased. :lol: Any ultra lite is a ton of fun for trout.

C
chris61182
So I'm curious where you might find those ugly sticks for $19?!

And to the original poster, I've been fishing with a 7'6" ultralight Okuma Celilo for a few years now and I love it. Probably the best $19 I spent on a fishing pole so far. Of course my rod is now more like 7'2" because of an unfortunate run in with some braided line but it still works beautifully.

M
meluvtrout
Thank you guys for all your input. Honestly, I Don't really like the feel of Ugly Sticks. Once I had a 6'6" U.Stick and when I tried my friend's Stimula last Summer, I went home and ordered one for me as well. It's an amazing rod for the price($18) pair it up with a Sedona 2500fb and you've got yourself a killer combo.

I called West Marine today to see if they have any more Stimulas. Luckily, Customer Service lady told me to return the rod/reel combo as it's a Shimano and gave me store credit which I used for a new Sedona 2500. I also ordered a Stimula online for $18+$7 shipping. Next weekend will be sunny in Estacada. :pray:

J
joesnuffy
by far, the best inexpensive rod is the ugly Stick. You can buy a combo for about $30. the reel isn't the best but will last a couple seasons. I've had the same rod for 5 years, my stepdad has had his for over 15 yrs.

Supper sensitive for those small nibbles. Great Rods.

M
meluvtrout
chris61182 said:
So I'm curious where you might find those ugly sticks for $19?!

And to the original poster, I've been fishing with a 7'6" ultralight Okuma Celilo for a few years now and I love it. Probably the best $19 I spent on a fishing pole so far. Of course my rod is now more like 7'2" because of an unfortunate run in with some braided line but it still works beautifully.

I couldn't resist the temptation, went to Bimart today on my lunch break and bought an Okuma Celilo Ultra Light. They are still $19.99-$20.99 depending on the size.

P
phish-on
I just bout a ultra-cast abu-garcia at bimart. ult562ul 1-6lb, 5'6". with reel i paid 39.00 for it. took it out to the wilson. since the salmon arnt up yet switched over to the trout rod. the rod worked very well for me and was fun with a 14" sea run.:)

C
chris61182
meluvtrout said:
I couldn't resist the temptation, went to Bimart today on my lunch break and bought an Okuma Celilo Ultra Light. They are still $19.99-$20.99 depending on the size.

Nice, what length did you end up getting?

M
meluvtrout
Stimula is 6'6", Celilo is 6'...

P
phish-on
meluvtrout said:
Stimula is 6'6", Celilo is 6'...

ive heard some negative reports about Okuma, mainly from retailers. Are they actually a pretty good rod?
Im wondering if they are just saying things so that i would buy something more expensive.

C
chris61182
phish-on said:
ive heard some negative reports about Okuma, mainly from retailers. Are they actually a pretty good rod?
Im wondering if they are just saying things so that i would buy something more expensive.

So I've basically beaten the living hell out of my Celilo; freshwater, saltwater, falling with it, falling on it, submerging it in water, submerging it in mud, etc... and it keeps on fishing just fine. None of the guides have broken, the glue holding the rod, reel seat, and cork together is just as solid as the day I bought it, the reel keeper ring holds just as tight as day one, etc. As a matter of fact the only damage is I've lost a few inches of the tip to some tightly wrapped braid on the tip and picking up the rod quickly while the line was also snagged on a rock on the ground.

Odds are the stores are just repeating the commonly held belief that Okuma makes bad products, which in my limited experience is completely untrue.

P
phish-on
nice - thank you. i thought that they actually looked pretty sturdy. thats another point against a particular sporting store i know of.

F
FishFinger
I picked up a 6'6" ugly stick after seeing my buddy hook Coho and Steelhead with reckless abandon for about a year now.

I have heard people proclaim "you can't catch Salmon with an Ugly Stick" I've seen Andy hook up and land big fish time after time. It can be done.

For me it was a waste of $$$ as I was hoping to replace a 8'6" Lamaglass medium action Rock Creek series spinning rod. I don't care for the action of the Lamaglass as it's too soft. I prefer a medium fast action.

Anyways, after hooking into several Silvers (nine to be specific) two weeks ago I was less than impressed at the spine the ugly stick had; or didn't have. The rod didn't break but in ugly stick fashion it bent nearly tip to butt and it had nothing more to give.

I honestly believe that limber rod caused me to miss getting a good hook set perhaps 4 times. With my GL2, that would never happen; unfortunately the GL2 is a bait casting rod.

Last weekend I used it for trout fishing on the Santiam while on my way to Central Oregon. For Trout the opposite was true, the rod was perhaps too stout as the "fight" was equivalent to using a broom handle.

I would throw in with choosing a ultra light graphite rod, using it specifically for trout.

I'd leave the Ugly Stick on the display rack, as mine is banished to reside with the plethora of rods that never see the light of day. My mistake was to swap one medium action rod for a shorter medium action rod...

Should have seen that one coming.

Troutski
Troutski
Gloomis....

Gloomis....

I own three Gloomis spinning rods, and two Fenwicks one of the fenwicks is an old fiberglass...I must say in all honesty I would buy them all over again. Tackle is all about how deep your wallet is. Mine just happens to be as deep as my wifes purse ;) :). I am a very lucky man...I have owned other rods, and I have to say if you can afford it ... Do it :dance:

Chuck

F
FishSchooler
The rod I mentioned earlier, the inspinity/shakespear, its meant for steelhead and I have it spooled with 10lb, is it fine for cohos?