Which Rod/Reel?

S
Spydeyrch
Ok, so I have narrowed down my search for a good beginner's rod/reel/package to a few different options.

For those of you that remember, I had previously asked for some guidance/suggestions/recommendations about which rods/reels would be good for a beginner/novice.

After quite a bit of time searching and researching, I think I have narrowed down my options to 2 or 3 rods and 2 or 3 reels.

Now, I would like to ask you which you think is the better one.

Option #1:

TFO NXT 9' 5/6wt 4piece. Comes with the Rod, Reel, backing, fly line, leader, tippet, carrying case, ~$200. One of the down sides that I see is that it appears that the reel is made of plastic. Correct me if I am wrong.

Option #2/3/4/5:

Rod: Redington Pursuit 9' 5wt 4 pieces, comes with carrying case. ~$120

Rod: Redington CT (Classic Trout) 9' 5wt 4 pieces, comes with carrying case. ~$150

Reel: Ross Fly Cast, comes with 100yds of 20# backing, ~$55

Reel: Lamson Konica, comes with 100yds of 20# backing, ~$120

With options 2/3/4/5, I would still need to get fly line, leader, tippet.
Also, with options 2/3/4/5 I will need to mix and match to get a complete outfit/setup.

I have a budget of $250, max $300. I would prefer to stay around $250 if possible.

I am primarily going trout fishing and probably on small stream/creeks/rivers (not too big of rivers), and maybe some lakes.

So out of those options, what would you recommend? Granted, I have never owned a fly rod and have only gone fly fishing once so I am lacking in the experience dept right now.

Thanks for you help everyone. :)

-Spydey

B
benkearney
I'm relatively new to flyfishing so take this for what its worth, but if you are just going after trout I would spend the money on a good rod and look to save money on the reel. For most trout, the reel doesn't do much more than hold the line.

S
Spydeyrch
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I have been emailing a local fly fishing shop/outfitter and they mentioned the Lamson Konica together with a 9' 5wt Redinton. The reel seemed a bit overboard for a 5wt trout rod. It is ~$120 for the reel, almost as much as the rod. they also said that the drag system on the Lamson Konica is a very good drag system.

I honestly was planning on just setting the drag (on what ever reel I get) to the lowest setting possible and then just using my palm as the drag for the reel. So I don't think that I need something very advanced and technical for my reel, especially for trout fishing.

Any one else want to include there $0.02? It would be much appreciated. :)

-Spydey

B
benkearney
The Lamson Konica is a very good reel with a great drag system, that is why I have it on my 8wt Steelhead Rod.

brandon4455
brandon4455
dude, my redington has a graphite/plastic reel and it works fine just no a high end combo, and TFO is a great brand i would go with that outfit 5/6 is perfect for trout

brandon

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Thanks Brandon. Your advise is always very useful.

I will probably go with the TFO NXT.

I will let you all know once I get it.

-Spydey

J
joesnuffy
I have a #4 TFO. It didn't take long to become my favorite trout rod.

V
Van
I think any of those are a very good choice to start out with. My starter rod was a Reddington Red.fly2 6wt and i was really happy with it. It got me my first fish on a fly plus some. If i was spending your money for you, i would go with the Reddington CT as a first choice and the Pursuit second with the Lamson reel. I think you are going to get better quality components buying them individually. I dont think you would be dissappointed with the TFO though. My wife got me a TFO 8/9wt Steelhead rod/reel combo for X-mas and i am eager to use it.

*edit*

I wanted to add that i have a Ross reel as well and i really like it. I somehow chowdered the reel on my Reddington last summer while staying in Maupin. It gave me the perfect excuse to go into the Dechutes Angler Fly Shop and get a new reel. I have really grown to like it. I think you are in a win/win situation anyway you look at it.

Last edited:
A
Amberjack
Daayumm you fly guys are seroius!!!, I thought $300 for a lite saltwater conventional rod and reel was at about 75% at the top end. I have fished all my life, 57 years and fly fishing is my next adventure, keep the info going. I have some old fly rods and reels, that my dad owned and used, just have no idea how to set them up. I would really like to use them.