Which rod for Steelhead / Salmon?

S
Spydeyrch
So I am not looking for what type of brand or model but which wt would be most recommend for steelhead and salmon fishing.

Which one:
7wt
8wt
9wt
or a 10wt

I was honestly thinking that an 8wt would probably be the best. But what about length?

-Spydey

B
beaverfan
Obviously I'm not the most experienced flyfisherperson but I'd say go with a 9 if you plan on going after both species. I don't know that an 8wt would have enough backbone to fight a Chinook in moving water.

S
Spydeyrch
That is a good point. I hadn't thought about that.

Anyone else? What other thoughts might anyone else have aobut which rod to go with for steelhead and salmon?

Thanks in advance.

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah i agree with jay. a 9wt will do you good if you plan on fishing chinook too.

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah, what BEAV & Brandon said. A 9wt, may be a bit stiff for summer steel...but it would be better for winter steel, springers and their generally bigger fall kinfolk.

R
_RJ_
I use a Redington RS4 9wt. 9'0'' w/ Delta reel. My friend uses a Redington Predator 9wt. 8'3" w/ Rise reel. Since we both fish in confined streams / rivers I actually prefer his Predator.

F
FlyBum
I see nothing wrong with a Sage TCX and an Able in an 8wt. That should do the trick and 8 is great!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
I see nothing wrong with a Sage TCX and an Able in an 8wt. That should do the trick and 8 is great!!

okay.. im gunna hook a fall chinook with my 8 wt this september and see what happens. :lol:

F
FlyBum
brandon4455 said:
okay.. im gunna hook a fall chinook with my 8 wt this september and see what happens. :lol:

Okay, sounds like a lot of fun! :clap: I caught and landed a Chrome Dome on my 4wt with 3x trout fishing. All you need is a nice fast action rod and play the fish accordingly, not that a 4wt would be a good call for steel or nooks, but bumping to a 9 wouldn't do much more than an 8.

Last edited: