Which rod?

Bake
Bake
I NEED, want a new rod. I'm now looking at the Redington, Butter Stick II, 4wt, and the Echo, River Glass, also 4wt. The problem is that there are no fly shops around here. Closest one is about 80 miles, and it's a BassProShop, and they don't carry either band.

When I call one of the internet-shops I do business with, they are almost afraid to say too much about either one. Both are "really great fun" rods, "well-made" rods, and "worth the money". I've have talked with my son, and he loves the Butter Stick. Of course, the Butter Stick is the only single hand rod he has. I've talked with others, and it's the same story, love the one they have, & don't know anything about the other.

I am looking for someone, up to speed on both, for some insight on each...

Bake
Bake
While looking, I've found a couple more rods. Echo Small Water, & one called Moonshine, both 4wt. Ring any bells???

EOBOY
EOBOY
I had a 5wt. Reddington, used it about 5 times and the bottom cinch ring fell OFF, in the middle of the Mac. Almost lost my real. I had to over line it because it was so slow. Couldn't get any help from Reddington! I thought it would be an easy piece to replace........Nope! Have had and still have Echos' they are good rigs for the cost. I now have a 5wt. Fenny....Took it to AK with me....I think it's a small stream model. Nice Rod.

B
BrandonBeach
Might want to consider:

TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) rods. Great rods for the money. The rods you listed I believe are slower ( full flex ) actions. Look a slower action in a comparable TFO rod. Buy on amazon, and don’t like it , send it back.

Had a Reddington rod and cast a few others, all seemed fine.. TFO are for me a better option.....for me...

BB

Bake
Bake
While surfing the net, I have found at least a half a dozen more rods. Running from $70.00 to $700.00. On my next "Road Trip" I'll have to take my notebook and stop at every fly shop between here and Seattle.

From my research, it looks like the line may be as important as the rod itself. Rio covers the lines pretty well, with their "LL", & "LT". Airflow may have even more choices. I don't know where you could find one, but a Level line* might be the hot setup [ for very short casts].

* found one, Airflow, called the Euro-Nymph looks level, but not Rio's line of the same name...

Last edited:
B
BrandonBeach
How much have you cast a fly rod?

Never found a good use for a level line. Trolling maybe, Shooting head lines or WF are best for short in stufff. Won’t buy another double taper. On reach casts the DT lines aren’t the best option.

All the major makers make fine fly lines. Keeping them clean and dressed is important for good performance..

Bake
Bake
EOBOY said:
I had a 5wt. Reddington, used it about 5 times and the bottom cinch ring fell OFF, in the middle of the Mac. Almost lost my real. I had to over line it because it was so slow. Couldn't get any help from Reddington! I thought it would be an easy piece to replace........Nope! Have had and still have Echos' they are good rigs for the cost. I now have a 5wt. Fenny....Took it to AK with me....I think it's a small stream model. Nice Rod.
I'm surprised, I've always assumed that Redington would stand behind their products. Wouldn't the retailer you got the rod from help out? You have to be very careful when lining a fiberglass rod. If it says 5wt it means 5wt, not 5wt plus a little extra. "Overlining" is the kiss of death with fiberglass. You might try cutting some line off the front end ( this will help move the "CG" towards the tip), and reduce the overall weight.

Last edited:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Buy an old classic rod much better quality Hell I have automatic reels and old Fenwicks that the purists frown at me while I fish in my Levis jeans and slosh around in the water at Fall River and out fish the bozos from Portland with there 100 dollar an hour guides! :p

Casting Call
Casting Call
Try cutting the DT to the weight desired. Ever try making your own twisted leader to your own specs.? The nice thing about TL are no wind knots. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
Bamboo is natures way. No glass, no resin, no fiber will ever match bamboo. There are no snap-offs with bamboo unless you step or fall and shear it, boo just splinters and bends and still holds together till you land your prey.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Bake said:
I'm surprised, I've always assumed that Redington would stand behind their products. Wouldn't the retailer you got the rod from help out? You have to be very careful when lining a fiberglass rod. If it says 5wt it means 5wt, not 5wt plus a little extra. "Overlining" is the kiss of death with fiberglass. You might try cutting some line off the front end ( this will help move the "CG" towards the tip), and reduce the overall weight.

I got the rod at a charity auction, so no retailer! I did take it to River City Fly because they were involved with the auction. Thsy reached out to Redington to fix it. Redington said there was no part. Which meant I had to pack it OFF to Redington, which I didn't feel like doing. I bought the Fenny instead.

Ahh, the controversy of overlining and underling rears it's ugly head. The owner of River City suggested it. It worked as far as I'm concerned. Although I had to go back to the 5wt. line on the Fenny.

Bake
Bake
EOBOY said:
I got the rod at a charity auction, so no retailer! I did take it to River City Fly because they were involved with the auction. Thsy reached out to Redington to fix it. Redington said there was no part. Which meant I had to pack it OFF to Redington, which I didn't feel like doing. I bought the Fenny instead.

Ahh, the controversy of overlining and underling rears it's ugly head. The owner of River City suggested it. It worked as far as I'm concerned. Although I had to go back to the 5wt. line on the Fenny.

I've been spey fishing for a few years now, so I track the head weight. I've found that a 5wt. (AFFTA) is 140grs., but some 5wts. lines are as high as 180grs. ( a light 7wt). Plus how much "Hang-over", and how much/many false casting, you will do.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Bake said:
I've been spey fishing for a few years now, so I track the head weight. I've found that a 5wt. (AFFTA) is 140grs., but some 5wts. lines are as high as 180grs. ( a light 7wt). Plus how much "Hang-over", and how much/many false casting, you will do.

Well you certainly know a lot more than me.........LOL

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
D i you catch fish or just swing and swing

Bake
Bake
Not much swinging in the Delta. Did mostly stripping for stripers, and largemouths from the front deck of a bass boat. A couple of times I even got a catfish.

Last edited:
Bake
Bake
EOBOY said:
Did the ring "crack" and then fall off, or did the butt cap fall off first, followed by the ring???

EOBOY
EOBOY
Bake said:
Did the ring "crack" and then fall off, or did the butt cap fall off first, followed by the ring???

I was in a canoe at the time and had done a roll cast back up stream and heard my reel hit the bottom of the boat. The butt cap was gone and not in the bottom of the canoe. River City Fly, has a relation with Redington and they couldn't get the part. It looked like a simple fix! @hobster Was with me that day.

Bake
Bake
EOBOY said:
I was in a canoe at the time and had done a roll cast back up stream and heard my reel hit the bottom of the boat. The butt cap was gone and not in the bottom of the canoe. River City Fly, has a relation with Redington and they couldn't get the part. It looked like a simple fix! @hobster Was with me that day.
Back in the day, (Late '70's to early '80's) some of the Bass Tournament Fishermen I fished against used a rig called a Slider. It was a lightweight cork handled spinning rod with a medium-small spinning reel held on with duct tape, or black electrical tape. If it worked for Largemouth Bass, it will work for trout...

EOBOY
EOBOY
Bake said:
Back in the day, (Late '70's to early '80's) some of the Bass Tournament Fishermen I fished against used a rig called a Slider. It was a lightweight cork handled spinning rod with a medium-small spinning reel held on with duct tape, or black electrical tape. If it worked for Largemouth Bass, it will work for trout...
Well, I guess it makes a difference if you are attached to the rod or not..this rod I bought back in 72 or 73. My first fenny, I've caught a lot of SteelHead and Salmon on this rod. I really had no such thoughts for the Red.

• finwhk.png