Which new spinning reel?

madasahab
madasahab
I have always used shimano reels as far as spinning reels go. I have two sedonas and one is fouled up. The drag sometimes works and sometimes not. I took suggestions from people and cleaned it up and lubed it up...still acting up. Fortunately, I always check it before I fish with it. Anyway, I am gonna send it to shimano and see if they can fix it unless someone knows of a reel repair place in or near lincoln city? I am also kicking around the idea of getting an Okuma trio high speed. Any feedback on these or other suggestions? Thanks. Go catch fish...

W
waco
I'm a big fan of shimano so far no complaints, I used to fish with the shimano sienna the cheapest one, and landed so many fish with it now I upgraded to a shimano symetre and boy... There is a huge difference, anyways before upgrading my reel I was considering the okuma trio but I had too many bad comments about it, even people that I have fish with, I went to the store and didn't get the good feeling, so it was a no go for me, of course there are some people that would recommend it!

Y
Yogidabear
Shimano stradic ci4 best reel I have ever owned, 220 bucks

18406ej
18406ej
I admit that I can be hard on my equipment at times, but my Shimano Stradic and Shimano Symetre have served flawlessly for the last 10 years. I purchased the Symetre first and was impressed with not only the durability but more importantly the smooth action of the components. It looks like the Symetre is available still in the $75-$120 range. Did I really need to purchase a Shimano Stradic after having the Symetre? Probably not, but it was purchased using a gift card, and I wanted to look cool out on the playground. I have never felt a difference between the two reels, and the Stradic has certainly jumped in price since 2003.

I highly recommend the Symetre for the cost to value ratio. I am over here in Keizer, and will happily meet you anywhere in our area to loan you the reels to try each one out at your convenience. I think you will be impressed with how well these reels perform even after a decade of less than stellar care. Send me a PM if you would like them for a week.

Shimano used to include two spools with a reel purchase, but now you only receive one. I purchased an additional Symetre spool (I needed three) directly from Shimano last April for about $30.

Eamon

madasahab
madasahab
18406ej said:
I admit that I can be hard on my equipment at times, but my Shimano Stradic and Shimano Symetre have served flawlessly for the last 10 years. I purchased the Symetre first and was impressed with not only the durability but more importantly the smooth action of the components. It looks like the Symetre is available still in the $75-$120 range. Did I really need to purchase a Shimano Stradic after having the Symetre? Probably not, but it was purchased using a gift card, and I wanted to look cool out on the playground. I have never felt a difference between the two reels, and the Stradic has certainly jumped in price since 2003.

I highly recommend the Symetre for the cost to value ratio. I am over here in Keizer, and will happily meet you anywhere in our area to loan you the reels to try each one out at your convenience. I think you will be impressed with how well these reels perform even after a decade of less than stellar care. Send me a PM if you would like them for a week.

Shimano used to include two spools with a reel purchase, but now you only receive one. I purchased an additional Symetre spool (I needed three) directly from Shimano last April for about $30.

Eamon

Thanks for the offer and info. I may have to get me a symetre if it's around that price. Heck, I spend that on levelwind reels.

C
Combat Chuck
I use mostly shimanos but i do have the okuma high speed. Love the look but i do believe that a shimano of the same price is a better reel. Ive found the trio s seems to get cranky and need maintenance more often. It sometimes gums up out fishing and i have to oil it to free it up.

H
halibuthitman
shimanos are cool if you like a knob on the crank handle the size of a golf ball.. I have a symetre.. feels the same as any other brand of reel in the same price range.. I use the pfluegar reels, a little less, still comes with two spools and last 2-3 seasons.... then I just throw it away, go buy a new one and then I have a brand new reel I have 4 spools for, cause pflueger never changes anything-

Y
Yogidabear
halibuthitman said:
shimanos are cool if you like a knob on the crank handle the size of a golf ball.. I have a symetre.. feels the same as any other brand of reel in the same price range.. I use the pfluegar reels, a little less, still comes with two spools and last 2-3 seasons.... then I just throw it away, go buy a new one and then I have a brand new reel I have 4 spools for, cause pflueger never changes anything-

My ci4 has a small knob

M
Montana
madasahab said:
I have always used shimano reels as far as spinning reels go. I have two sedonas and one is fouled up. The drag sometimes works and sometimes not. I took suggestions from people and cleaned it up and lubed it up...still acting up. Fortunately, I always check it before I fish with it. Anyway, I am gonna send it to shimano and see if they can fix it unless someone knows of a reel repair place in or near lincoln city? I am also kicking around the idea of getting an Okuma trio high speed. Any feedback on these or other suggestions? Thanks. Go catch fish...

I have the trio quick retrieve and I love it. Quality build and haven't had any issues with it through a ton of wet and dirty fishing days. My boss has 3 of them and swears by them as well. Definitely worth checking out!

Troutski
Troutski
Stella....

Chuck

J
JeannaJigs
halibuthitman said:

After killing a few of the upper end reels (shimano and quantum), I decided to go the disposable reel route and picked up a handful of Pfleuger Trion spinning reels and a low pro casting reel. The spinning reels were $29 at Bi-Mart and I figured they'd be dead within a year. Well, I ended up using those reels on different rods for 3 years, before they were stolen, and still had some life in 'em. Sure at that point they started grinding and needed some TLC after each trip but I got more than my money's worth out of them. When they were stolen I waited until they went on sale again and snatched up four more. I have about a dozen extra spools now lol. They're great reels. If people want to look down on 'em because they're $30 and not $130, that's their problem, I have more funds for gas to fish more water.

A
alm21
I have Shimanos but I used the Pfleuger Presidential reel recently on a setup Brad kicked down to somebody. Having casted and fought fish with it, I would buy one.

F
fuson22
Reels

Reels

I love my Okuma epiXor spinning reel that I keep on my Lamiglass Cascade Pro. It wasn't a million dollar reel either. It sure does preform like one though. But a little off the subject, I'm a bait casting reel man through and through. I just made a pretty BIG investment in a Quantum Smoke reel. The latest bait casting reel from Quantum and Wow wow wow... I have NEVER been so in love with ANY reel in my life! Talk about smooth, smooth, smooth. If you don't have your thumb on the spool when fighting a fish, you wouldn't even know if it was pulling line off your spool. But for a an investment of $289 (for the pro model) I would expect no less from Quantum. For a 6.6:1 ratio, it's able to bring in a couple hundred yards of line almost as fast as you can get it in the water. I believe the base model is around $220. I put a few winter steelies to bed with this reel already and man oh man. worth every penny so far. But I plan on keeping this reel in my hand for many years to come, with my quantum burner as my back-up.

hobster
hobster
After my Okuma lasted less than a year i got a couple if Saharas for $45 on sale around christmas. I love the reel and its worth that much for sure, you can always find great deals at the end of the year. Nice mid range reel - made so much better than the Okuma - i'd go Shimano.

R
radiation
I bought a Pfluger president trout reel last summer and was reel:lol: happy with it. When my body of my steelhead reel started getting a little loose I decided to pick up a new reel. Cabelas had the bigger President on sale so I decided to give it a shot. I picked up the 35 series and ran it out to Oregon Rod Reel and Tackle to have him string it with the new Berkely fused line. I know this isn't a $200 reel but I have been very happy with it so far.