Which is better

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Im going fishing january 31 at either bethany or commonwealth lake and i would like to know if anybody knows which is better at that tim of year... Im going rain or shine like a true fisherman:) also which choice of baits for any species. Any and all help is appreciated:) thx Sh0rt f1sh3r

M
Moe
ITs very hard to get a bass out of commonwealth at any time of year let alone the winter. Best bet is Bethany and maybe try hole nightcrawlers wacky rigged, or just fish any soft plastic SLOWLY. Hope this helps and good luck!

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Okay that helps:) any suggestions as to where to fish at bethany lake?

C
colbypearson
Sh0rt f1sh3r said:
Okay that helps:) any suggestions as to where to fish at bethany lake?

this time of year try to find break lines dropoffs etc... i dont know the lake but i know bass pretty welllook for subtle key differences in bottom contour points,coves,ditches,breaklines,shelves so on..seems to work for me unless the fish are up off the bottom if theres bushes or anything like that trees etc... with a decent amount of water around them i would try those too but most often i find fish in winter on aspects like mentioned above either right on them or near them but bass can be wierd in the winter and change theyre behavior at every lake..

this is just what i target in the cold

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
So pretty much look for typical bass spots? And if the water is muddy... Then im screwed i assume??

C
colbypearson
Sh0rt f1sh3r said:
So pretty much look for typical bass spots? And if the water is muddy... Then im screwed i assume??

na i wouldnt call most of the hard structure spots that refer to the bottom as a typical spot necissarily if the water is muddy the fish might be tighter to cover i would assume since its winter and theres more water coming into most of our waters lately that it will in fact be stained to muddy, just use darker colors FISH SLOW!

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Ok thx:) is it illeagal to noodle fish in oregon? Ive alway wanted to try

brandon4455
brandon4455
noodling =illegal

C
chris61182
Sh0rt f1sh3r said:
Ok thx:) is it illeagal to noodle fish in oregon? Ive alway wanted to try

It's allowed for nongame fish only, and the most common fish noodled, catfish, is considered a game fish in Oregon.

T
tomriker
noodling sounds like a terrible idea, stick your arm in a hole and hope it's a catfish, not a gator... noty

F
Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
noodling sounds like a terrible idea, stick your arm in a hole and hope it's a catfish, not a gator... noty

least here it would be a nutria or a beaver instead of a gator ,snappin turtle, or a moccasin ! Still thinkin UHHHHHHno thanks!

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
I want to wrestle a gatorXD what fish are in bethany lake? Just bassbor is there others?

M
Moe
There are cats biting , maybe a holdover trout, Might find some sunfish.

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Sounds good:) what do catfish like as bait i can't ever figure it out

C
colbypearson
Sh0rt f1sh3r said:
Sounds good:) what do catfish like as bait i can't ever figure it out

bullheads are wierd they eat worms good but not hot dogs haha i would just use worms for bullheads but not much else chicken liver works too but i can't get them to eat hot dogs oddly enough since i can get all other kinds of cats on them.

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
What kind of rig should i use?

C
colbypearson
Sh0rt f1sh3r said:
What kind of rig should i use?

night crawler on like a carolina rig maybe, hot dog weightless with a treble in it or maybe on a carolina rig also use a sliding weight with a swivel below if preferably

M
Moe
gob of nightcrawlers on a double dropshot rig always gets me the bullheads at bethany.

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Plastic worms or fake? Then rig on a sliding weighted carolina rig

M
Moe
for cats you gotta use real worms.