Which fly outfit would you recommend?

R
RicerAP1
Hey everyone I'm new to the sport and this site and need advice:confused:. I recently took some classes and have decided it's time to buy my first setup. I'm looking for a trout setup, 4/5/6wt. Only problem is I'm a college student and on a tight budget. I've been looking at the Redington Crosswater outfit which looks decent and can be had for $100.

So, what brand or setups do you guys suggest for a beginner?

T
the_intimidator03
I think the 6wt would be good for several reasons... the line is a bit heavier so you can buck the wind/breeze a bit more when casting. you can do battle with 15+ pound fish on a 6wt so if you are fishing a river and happen upon a coho or steelhead there is a possibility of a GREAT light action battle. Yes the 6 wt will be heavy for stockers. but i still enjoy it. If i were to buy another set up it would probably be an 8 possibly 9wt rod for salmon/steelheading. Depending upon the locations you choose to fish... I would suggest a Weight Forward Floating line. it will be a bit more forgiving in learning to cast.

I guess it boils down to what kind of fisherman are you and what do you want to catch on it? More will chime in.

P.S. Welcome to the board, Tell us about yourself. such as where you like to fish and what for

M
markasd
Intimidator has it down pretty good - my first rod was an Orvis 5, full flex rod and was fine for trout... not so good for anything bigger than 4-5 lbs. Then I purchased a Reddington 5-6 wt that had a little backbone to it - that one landed my first steelhead, what a battle. Since you stated you wanted a trout rod, stick with a 4-5 wt. Not to sure who ended up with Redington, as it has changed ownership a few times, but they were some pretty darn good rods for the price... one of my favorites still, and I have a selection.

good luck and let us know what ya go with!
mark

M
mlw
Redington makes nice rods, go for it.
Michael

E
everett464
RicerAP1 said:
I've been looking at the Redington Crosswater outfit which looks decent and can be had for $100.

Where did you find that Outfit for $100 bucks? I have seen it for $160 - 190 (2 piece - 4 piece), but at 100 bucks, I may have to give it my perusal.

The only thing I would be worried about is the reel, Carbon Fiber Reels are going to warp at the first sign of extended heat or cold. Make sure you keep that thing in the house, and not the garage, or, god forbid, your trunk.

That said, I think you could do a lot worse, and certainly not a lot better, in that price range.

R
RicerAP1
Thanks for the feedback guys. everett464, look it up on ebay, it's a little under $100 with free shipping.

E
everett464
Yeah, I saw that. Let me know what you think of the action, because I am thinking about dropping some cash on an 8 wt setup.