Which bay?

O
Oregon213
Hey all,

I've acquired a larger boat, a 22' Carver runabout with cuddy. My main goal is to use it as a family boat for some leisurely crabbing and bay fishing for salmon and perch, and overnighting on down at a moorage. Eventually, I want to cross the bar in it and get into some lings or rockfish on nice days.

I've also decided that mooring it at the coast makes sense for us, power and water at a dock would make for an easier overnight in a pinch and I don't want to have to add trailering and towing onto our to do list every time we go down. The two bays I've got in mind have moorage at around $1k a year, which pencils out for me.

That brings me to my options.

Tillamook, mooring at Garabaldi.
Pros: Moored on the bay, big bay, maybe some options in the bay for anchoring and overnighting?
Cons: On the bay - so more weather for the boat in the winter. Barview is a tougher bar to cross than Yaquina (open to opinions on this).

Yaquina, mooring at Toledo
Pros: Relatively sheltered marina, Yaquina's bar is regarded as being one of the more forgiving on the coast (again, open to opinions).
Cons: Time and gas to get onto the bay from Toledo. Less pretty location for overnighting at the dock.

So... say you're in my position... and all things are equal (the price difference between moorage is about $40 a year), which bay are you picking?

Last notes.... its a family boat, so most trips will be bay bound and involve a (great) wife and two kids (4-5 years old). Other stuff to do matters, but its mostly a wash (from what I see). Garibaldi and Toledo both have railroad museums and nice beaches within a short drive. Newport has some better food options than Tillamook, but that's also cash out of pocket. Newport has the aquarium too, but I don't see us doing a membership to make it worthwhile, maybe though.

Thanks for any input, I'm probably looking to get the boat on the water in a month or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
plumbertom
plumbertom
Keep in mind hull maintenance when you keep your boat in the water.
Hull fouling is something you'll want to keep on top of.
There's also the Zinc's need to be kept up far more often.
Dry storage on the trailer at your chosen harbor may be a better option.
Down in SoCal many of the marinas would even have a launch service you could get that would put your boat in the water for you.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I would always pic Newport of the other as it has a better bay. If travel is not an issue Charleston would be a great bet as the bay is full of things to do and a very forgiving bar to cross on the right days.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yaquina Bay has a lot to offer. Toledo for moorage, that makes for a much longer river run to the bay. However we really like that town and motor up from South Beach for the beautiful river cruse and lunch. River fishing for fall chinook is an option too.

I have moored at Garibaldi and Warrenton on the Columbia. We always seem to come back to Newport. There are more options, and as you venture out over the bar do not forget near shore halibut fishing.

Have you thought about South Beach for moorage? It's right on the bay, nice facilities, and great sunsets.

O
Oregon213
Irishrover said:
Yaquina Bay has a lot to offer. Toledo for moorage, that makes for a much longer river run to the bay. However we really like that town and motor up from South Beach for the beautiful river cruse and lunch. River fishing for fall chinook is an option too.

I have moored at Garibaldi and Warrenton on the Columbia. We always seem to come back to Newport. There are more options, and as you venture out over the bar do not forget near shore halibut fishing.

Have you thought about South Beach for moorage? It's right on the bay, nice facilities, and great sunsets.

I certainly have, but two factors are keeping me looking at Toledo instead.

I like that Toledo is a bit more sheltered, being further off the water.

And, it’s cheaper, by nearly $500 a year.

I’m planning to moor there for the first year and maybe hop the boat down to South Beach next year.