Where, when and how to fish for spring salmon

F
Fred
I haven’t caught a salmon in over a year now, I’m trying to end my salmon skunk. I’m wondering where I could go springer fishing other then the Willamette and Columbia river. Do the Wilson and the Trask have spring salmon? Also is the spring salmon run over?

Aervax
Aervax
Spring salmon run on the big rivers is starting late this year. I am not a guide or an expert, but I think the later colder winter and floods on the headwaters reset their migration this year. It is all just starting to take off and get going on the Columbia right now. Pay close attention to the fishing rules online because when and where you can fish for them changes every few days. You will get more and better info from the forum members if you are more specific about what you have tried so far and where, whether you are fishing from a boat or the bank, too. One of my triggers is how many fish are crossing the ladders at the dams. Fish counts at Bonneville dam are monitored all day every day. See them here. 7 Day and YTD Adult Counts
http://www.fpc.org/currentdaily/HistFishTwo_7day-ytd_Adults.htm

Reactions: Fred
M
markasd
Ill give ya my .02 - Fishing the main willy above the falls is kind of a tough nut.. Wilson and Trask springers to me are an easier salmon to catch, a lot of folks feel this way and crowds reflect this. I follow the ladders as well to give me an idea. No its not over - the spring run is just getting going, get after it!

Artwo
Artwo
Regarding the local rivers, Sandy and Clackamas, springers should be making an appearance in both any day now. The springer fishery in these rivers will run clear into July. Not knowing whether you are bank fishing or boat fishing it's hard to discuss techniques although some do overlap. Give us a little more details and we can point you in the right direction.

F
Fred
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to be bank fishing. Also, I'll be using mostly lures, but I might try bait if it's allowed. I think I'm going to fish the Wilson River, Clackamas River, and sandy river. Any recommendations for salmon lures?

P
Pni_fisherdude
I have read that last year was the last year the Wilson would been getting returns of hatchery springers. The Trask is a much better option, but the 2 main holes on the Trask have bobber only restrictions and they can get extremely crowded. The clack is a tough river for springers, I have targeted them multiple times with and without a guide and still haven't caught one. I haven't targeted springers on the sandy so not much help there. Saw a few guys plunking down stream of the mouth of the Clackamas getting fish today.

C
cchinook
Fred said:
I haven’t caught a salmon in over a year now, I’m trying to end my salmon skunk. I’m wondering where I could go springer fishing other then the Willamette and Columbia river. Do the Wilson and the Trask have spring salmon? Also is the spring salmon run over?
Sandy River , Oxbow Park , starting mid May , #4 blue fox spinners

Artwo
Artwo
Sandy has some springers in it now and will continue into July. Clackamas not yet that I've heard but should be some in there in June..............