Where to go?

M

masmith

It seems to be a pretty slow year for Chinook. I really wanted to focus on the Nestucca, however it is a Chinook fishery and not very productive this year.

It doesn't look like there are many coho fisheries on the north coast or valley other then the Trask, and I have't heard many reports from that river either.

The Sandy is a little bit of a drive for me since I am in the McMinville area.

Where would you suggest I go? I want to try someplace tomorrow, but it looks like my best bet to catch coho is on the Yamhill...

Heck I'd try summer steel but my understanding is that season is pretty much over.

Any ideas (I DON'T have a boat).

B

beaverfan

The Wilson, Nehalem, and many other rivers have a Coho fishery. I was at the Wilson Wed. and the Coho were everywhere.

W

wormosa

i am going to the trask on sunday, so i will let you know about that on monday night, i prolly will be fishing the salmon on monday....

M

masmith

i am going to the trask on sunday, so i will let you know about that on monday night, i prolly will be fishing the salmon on monday....

Too bad we can't fish it tomorrow!

I read the regs and it looks like there is no finclipped coho in Wilson (other then strays).

W

wormosa

i wish i could fish tomorrow, but i have to work....gonna try pertnear everything on sunday and monday

B

beaverfan

Ya there's good bank access on all three of those rivers. I don't think there are any hatchery Coho but there still a heck of a lot of fun to C&R

J

JSpencer

In the Tillamook Basin this year you can keep 3 salmon per day, in order to do so 1 MUST be a fin clipped coho, the other 2 can be any combination of fin clipped coho/chinook, however you can also keep one native nook per day up to 5 for the year as long as you're in your 3 limit for the day.

S

skunk

I can't tell to clearly on my map, does the south fork of the wilson start just around Lee's Camp? Just after Runyuns creek Jones creek area? I would really hate to end up in the closed area. :) Thanks

C

Cohosanders

Where are they catching those Coho on the Wilson? I might try down by the burnt down shop and hike around or if I hear of something else promising...I'll go there. It sounds like the coastal rivers are having the most action as of late. :think::think:

G

GDBrown

High water on the Wilson!!!

High water on the Wilson!!!

:mad:I just got back from the coast and all the Tillamook bay rivers are very high and chocolate milk brown. I should have checked the river level before I left home at 4:30AM:mad: :shock:I didn't want to wake up the wife though???:mad:

The Wilson rose over a foot since ten last night. Had I checked I would have slept in. Dang!!!:confused:

TLMO3 Hydrograph

GD

Last edited:
C

Cohosanders

Do ya think a day will make a difference or do I just need to check water levels every day

G

GDBrown

Every Hour if necessary!!!

Every Hour if necessary!!!

Do ya think a day will make a difference or do I just need to check water levels every day

You need to check it daily! I just check it again. 24 Hours ago there was one third the volume of water in the river. One foot of river level when it is 4-5 ft equals 3 times the water volume!!

Yea every day and every time just before you go. I wasted almost half a tank of gas driving around down on the coast looking for a clean river when I should have spent 10 minutes of the WEB and 3 more hours in bed.:lol::lol:

Check the link I put in the last post and see for yourself.

GD

C

Cohosanders

Good to know

Good to know

Thanks for the info!!! It is amazing how the rain can turn the rivers a vaiety of colors and change slack water into a fast drift so quick!!! When I was discovering salmon fishing while living in Cordova, Alaska the rivers were not as quick to change so reading these Oregon systems has been very interesting. I saw the sandy go from a milky color to clear and then to this off brown(not muddy)color. Seems they were biting on spinners during the milky, eggs during the clear and a mix of both(but not as frequent) with the muddy color. Gotta Love Salmon Fishing!!!

M

masmith

You need to check it daily! I just check it again. 24 Hours ago there was one third the volume of water in the river. One foot of river level when it is 4-5 ft equals 3 times the water volume!!

Yea every day and every time just before you go. I wasted almost half a tank of gas driving around down on the coast looking for a clean river when I should have spent 10 minutes of the WEB and 3 more hours in bed.:lol::lol:

Check the link I put in the last post and see for yourself.

GD

Tell me about it. Fished the Siletz and it was almost unfishable. Didn't see a fish jump all day. My brother hooked into something up high, probablt steel but couldn't land it. Even where he hooked it could just barely keep the spinner under the current. The salmon river sucked also.