Where to go?

J

JeannaJigs

I have tomorrow off, and don't know where to go. Tied up a bunch of new jigs, and want to find out if they're fishy enough to do the job. Any suggestions on where to go? Gettin' tired of the McKenzie...but I might give it a go, just don't know.

M

Mike123

Don't come here... :( I'm not doing any good at least on jigs...

I think this is the dead spot every year where I go goose and dove hunting adn forget about fishing until last weekend in Sept. :lol:

J

JeannaJigs

Yeah. See, I know if I go up the McKenzie..I've got a good chance, but bleh, I'm kinda burnt out on it, maybe during the week there won't be so many crazies out and about and it won't be so bad? It's early for salmon on the slaw and I don't really know any other rivers, i've floated the umpqua with other people but never banked it, and I'm not really big on salmon fishing to begin with (because I seem to suck at it)...much prefer to kill some steel with my jigs. Wish it was January already :( I want to kill some winter fish. Summer is such a downer. Lol.

S

steelhead_stalkers

The Mac has some good water for jigs but not a lot, at least from the bank. Good quality roe has been working well though. You could always test them out on trout, anything trout eat a steelhead will eat! :)

M

Mike123

Don't over look good ol' nightcrawlers if your out of roe! Thread a whole one up the hook and onto the line so it's layed out straight. Then corkie, then hook. That rig has put most the fish on the bank or in the boat last few trips.

J

JeannaJigs

The Mac has some good water for jigs but not a lot, at least from the bank. Good quality roe has been working well though. You could always test them out on trout, anything trout eat a steelhead will eat! :)

Yeah. I don't do roe for summer fish, I'll break it out in the winter, but that's it. I have some egg patterns tied up instead. There's enough water to run jigs in though, that I probably won't drift anything, but we'll see.

J

JeannaJigs

Don't over look good ol' nightcrawlers if your out of roe! Thread a whole one up the hook and onto the line so it's layed out straight. Then corkie, then hook. That rig has put most the fish on the bank or in the boat last few trips.

I have used this rig before with success. I have roe, I just don't like using it for summer fish.

J

JeannaJigs

Same here! I usually try and save my roe for SALMON! :D
yep. People think I'm wierd when I say I don't take that stuff with me during the summer, but there's just better methods. It's also a logistics thing kinda for me...during the winter, I don't have to take a bait cooler because, well, it's winter. If i take that stuff during the summer, if it's not on ice, it's gonna get nastified fast, and I'm just not down with that mess. Plus, I have found that egg paterns with roe oil, work just as effectively, without the nastyness :)

S

steelhead_stalkers

To each his own. I prefer to catch fish than talk about them winter or summer :) Last time out I hooked a 20lb class summer steelhead on roe. Would it have hit an egg pattern? I don't think so but who knows, it had been harassed with everything in the book that day and many days before that I'm sure. I have plenty of roe for winters, summers and Chinook. Its funny in the winter I only use roe when the water is really colored up otherwise I can use jigs to catch all of my fish. I guess I'm backwards then. :lol:

M

Mike123

To each his own. I prefer to catch fish than talk about them winter or summer :) Last time out I hooked a 20lb class summer steelhead on roe. Would it have hit an egg pattern? I don't think so but who knows, it had been harassed with everything in the book that day and many days before that I'm sure. I have plenty of roe for winters, summers and Chinook. Its funny in the winter I only use roe when the water is really colored up otherwise I can use jigs to catch all of my fish. I guess I'm backwards then. :lol:

Seems you like to talk just as much as us.. :rolleyes: :lol:
You either are rich or catch a lot of hens with good eggs! :D

S

steelhead_stalkers

I used to live in CA were the limit was three salmon a day and I would catch my three 20-30lb hens every couple of days!! Man I miss that and now the rivers are closed to salmon. The roe adds up with that many hens available. :D

I do like to talk about fishing, you got me! :lol:

Top Bottom