Where to go, where to go?

R
rainbowfisherman
Okay by the title of the thread I'm sure you can understand my dilema. I want to go fishing this weekend with a couple buddies, I fly fish and they spin fish but I can do either. I was thinking either hitting up the N Santiam or the Mckenzie for trout. Or even hittin the upper alsea for some Chinook. hmmmmm.... Another thought is heading up to Green Peter for some trout. We have access to a boat. What do you guys and galls think are best shot is?

Thank you
-Rainbowfisherman

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive heard the alsea has been doing pretty good, that would be the best bet ijn my opinion thats for the chinook though. go Mckenzie for trout

B
bigsteel
n santiam is closed for trout,,ide hit the mckenzie

Troutski
Troutski
Boat...

Boat...

Anytime I can release myself from the shore line I do, once you are on the water you are empowered; whether it be river or lake .

Chuck

R
rainbowfisherman
bigsteel said:
n santiam is closed for trout,,ide hit the mckenzie

I went with a trout guide on the Santiam and he said its open all year for trout..you just can't keep anything. Was he wrong? Where would you fish the mack for trout? Haydens bridge or blue river? or..??

H
halibuthitman
Troutski said:
Anytime I can release myself from the shore line I do, once you are on the water you are empowered; whether it be river or lake .

Chuck
can I get an amen!!

C
capblack
a guide told you the santiam was open all year for trout???

C
capblack
general rules for the willamette area are as follows, in streams, catch and release only, season is may 22 to oct 31. under special regs it says, mainstem santiam is may 23 to oct 31, north fork below big cliff is the same, north fork above big cliff is april 24 to oct 31, alway check the regs before you go anywhere, i dont trust anyone. otherwise youll end up with a ticket, Brian

C
capblack
anywhere on the mckenzie is good for trout, detroit and green peter are also accessible from the low water ramps if your taking a boat, and rainbow lake is always a good choice. Brian

troutdude
troutdude
capblack said:
general rules for the willamette area are as follows, in streams, catch and release only, season is may 22 to oct 31. under special regs it says, mainstem santiam is may 23 to oct 31, north fork below big cliff is the same, north fork above big cliff is april 24 to oct 31, alway check the regs before you go anywhere, i dont trust anyone. otherwise youll end up with a ticket, Brian

All correct, as stated in the 2010 reg book.

However, I do see one discrepancy...the Little North Fork. It does NOT state that it is closed for trout. But, that makes NO sense, if all of the rest of the Santiam drainage system is closed. Your best bet? Call ODFW and get the answer(s) for yourself.

troutdude
troutdude
Not all of the McKenzie is open!

Not all of the McKenzie is open!

Check your reg book for the McKenzie VERY carefully. Some sections and / or tribs are CLOSED to trout fishing. And do NOT merely read the first line that says "Open for trout entire year"!

troutdude
troutdude
BTW, I'd take my boat to Green Peter if the weather isn't too rough. Flat line along the shores, for trout.

C
capblack
the little north fork says nothing about trout in the special regs except flies and artificial lures only, so you have to go by general regs which is may 22 to oct 31

C
capblack
troutdude said:
BTW, I'd take my boat to Green Peter if the weather isn't too rough. Flat line along the shores, for trout.

x2 thats my go to lake in western oregon, and you always get plenty of room to yourself this time of year. Brian

R
rainbowfisherman
We decided on the Mack...Because the boat isn't gonna be easy to get. So now where to go on the Mack,,,its endless:think:

R
rainbowfisherman
I gave it my all on the mack throwing flies. Not a single fish..

B
bigsteel
rainbowfisherman said:
I gave it my all on the mack throwing flies. Not a single fish..

where did you go on the mack

R
rainbowfisherman
Fished Armitage, At the gold course, and a little up from there..