Where to go for the trout

R
rainbowfisherman
So i read that the Mak was stocked with around 9,500 fish. 8,250 were below leaburg and the remaining 1,250 fish above it. So where do i fish. VERY new to this area and might try to head there. Any tips would be appreciated will report back if i go.

-Thanks
Rainbowfisherman

T
TTFishon
How far are you willing to drive? I prefer the upper Mackenzie but that's kind of a long drive. A good place to start that's fairly close is at the end of Goodpasture Rd. Google Maps Goodpasture is 4 miles east of the Leaburg Dam at the covered bridge. There's good places to fish along this road. I'd start at the end by the Weyerhauser gate and work your way down to the highway. If you haven't caught your limit by then, then I'd head up Deerhorn Road and try the many holes along that stretch of the river. Good luck.

R
rainbowfisherman
The mak is pretty far drive for me just to get to low river. But will proceed if the fishing gets better. What kinda flys, or bait do you use?

T
TTFishon
rainbowfisherman said:
The mak is pretty far drive for me just to get to low river. But will proceed if the fishing gets better. What kinda flys, or bait do you use?

The top half of a nightcrawler usually never fails me there. I use very little weight sometimes using only the weight of a swivel casting out and keep my bail open letting the current take my bait for a 100 ft or so then slowly reel in. Or I throw a Thomas lure. Good luck.

R
rainbowfisherman
thank you for all your help.

T
TTFishon
No problem. I hope you get a nice limit of fish.

T
TroutSlayer
The covered bridge is my very most favorite spot. And if you drive abou 1/4 a 1/2 mile past it you'll see a pull out shrtly before vida market. Has logs along it there's a trail that leads you through the bushes down to the rock another great place but usually the bridge is where I catch my limit. Crawlers are a big hit, if your fly fishin use a bead head prince along the shelf or an Adams just before the bridge is you see activity. But I think its the march brown that is bein taken on the surface right now.

E
everett464
Don't forget the Green Mac Caddis! In a size eight, if they are taking them. The high river levels are forcing the nymphs right now. Bead head Princes will work, but you might have more luck goin' bigger. Possie's, Megas, and Double bead Stones have been getting killed at the bottom.

T
TTFishon
Curious if you made it to the Mac and how you did?

R
rainbowfisherman
I was unable to make it to the mak but did give the santiam a go. Had one big steelhead grab a nightcrawer and that was it for the day

T
TTFishon
A rush for a second. That's cool. Better than nothing.:)

R
rainbowfisherman
yes very very true

S
specialk0082
I love when thats happens lol geting a steelhead on a nightcrawler

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
specialk0082 said:
I love when thats happens lol geting a steelhead on a nightcrawler

i havent yet got a steely on a nightcrawler, im just waiting for that moment to come, ill most likely be targeting trout when it happens, i love thos suprises!!