Where to go for my first time on the MF Willamette

F
Fast Eddie
I am learning how to fly fish and really want to get up and try out the mf of the willy. I am wondering if there are any places anyone can recommend that would have some fish this time of year that are wadeable. I am also wondering what types of flies people would recommend.

Troutski
Troutski
This is a very good time to try your luck on the Middle Fork, I would recommend starting at the base of Hills Creek dam and work your way down stream. Chocolate or Black Wooly Buggers and Golden Stone flies on the large (6 - 8 size), the CFS is at a perfect level for the resident Trout in that section. I use a floating line with a weighted fly, you may need add a small split shot to get your presentation down to the fish.
Be advised that the water is very cold coming from the bottom of the lake above, I suggest taking a friend - the buddy system is paramount this time of year.
Good luck and tight lines, be safe on the water.
Shoot me a pm with your e-mail address and I can send you a homemade map of the section.

Chuck

F
Fast Eddie
I have not had a chance to get up to the MFW yet. I am debating on if I should head up there tomorrow or go hit the McKenzie. Any recommendations?

J
JeannaJigs
If you're going up the middle fork willamette, they have been releasing a lot of water from dexter lately and the water in town has a nice shade of poo, and based on the CFS readings, you're best bet is going to be above the north middle fork, so between oakridge and hills creek dam, as they seem to be holding it back at hills creek, for now.

Reactions: Troutski
H
HootYeah
The Caddis Fly shop here in Eugene sells a fly that is dynamite for trout year round, just about everything will bite on it (unfortunate sometimes) but still a good fly. Its called the 'mega prince' Its essentially a prince nymph with rubber tentacles. I like to fish it with a dropper of sorts trailing behind it by about a foot and a half. Slays on the Mckenzie and ive done fairly well with it on the willy~

-Ryan

Reactions: geofishics