Where to go for kokanee?

G
Gonzo
Wife's out of town last weekend in March. Me and the boy are looking for an open lake preferably with Kokanee within about 3hr drive from PDX. Thanks.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
boat or bank?

G
Gonzo
Boat

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GreenPeter?

T
TimberTodd
rogerdodger said:
GreenPeter?

That's the one that came to mind also.

troutdude
troutdude
X 3 on GP. But, LBC is probably within range too.

G
Gonzo
Thanks. I'll start doing my GP archive research.

B
billfisher
Detroit is doing much better than GP this year.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
billfisher said:
Detroit is doing much better than GP this year.

for trout or kokes? when we were at Detroit two years ago, the kokanee population was low and they were small in June...

S
sapo
While I have the opportunity, can I ask if there's any good bank fishing for kokanee anywhere?

B
billfisher
rogerdodger said:
for trout or kokes? when we were at Detroit two years ago, the kokanee population was low and they were small in June...

They are catching 12 and 13 inch kokes right now, and some nice trout. Several limits of kokes.

B
billfisher
only place I know of is green peter OFF the bridge just past thistle ramp.

troutdude
troutdude
I have scored them, early season, ploppin' Little Cleo's where Q.Ville Creek flows into GP

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
billfisher said:
They are catching 12 and 13 inch kokes right now, and some nice trout. Several limits of kokes.

excellent, those are good sized kokes for this early in the year. Worth noting that Detroit does not have the extra 25 kokanee limit, they are included in your 5 fish trout limit...cheers, roger

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Merwin Lake in washington. Good size, fewer numbers than neightboring Yale res. Both close to portland.

Reactions: Fred
evantobias
evantobias
nikita_pdx said:
Merwin Lake in washington. Good size, fewer numbers than neightboring Yale res. Both close to portland.
Do you need a Wash fishing license here? I know at lease the Washington side of the Colombia is ok with an Oregon License, right?

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
evantobias said:
Do you need a Wash fishing license here? I know at lease the Washington side of the Colombia is ok with an Oregon License, right?
Yes, you can fish the Columbia with either oregon or Washington license. However, everything else requires a non resident license. I’m pretty sure there’s one for fresh and salt too

Reactions: evantobias
S
Snopro
nikita_pdx said:
Yes, you can fish the Columbia with either oregon or Washington license.
Only from a boat. Don't try it from the bank. ;)

D
DonF
If it was me, I'd go back to Montana and Flathead lake. Only place I have ever caught a kokanee! I read a lot about lake Billy Chinook near Madras, about 2 1/2 hrs from Portland. I've never got one there. Tried a nunber of other well spoken of kokanne lakes in Central Oregon but never have got one. Finally took a class on kokanee fishing and hasn't helped one bit. I can tell you where the bullheads were hitting withing three hours of PDX a few weeks ago if you'd like! :-(

S
Snopro
DonF said:
I can tell you where the bullheads were hitting withing three hours of PDX a few weeks ago if you'd like! :-(
I'm good, thanks. 😁

Why are you dabbling in necromancy tonight?

• Haha
Reactions: DOKF