where to go fly-fishing

N
nico-jan
Hi,

I will stay here in Oregon for about three and a half month, until end of June.
I´m born in the south of Germany, and work in Portland.

Two weeks ago, I went to the Deschute River, it was very beautiful but very stormy that day.

Now I want to ask you, where your favorite spots to fly-fish are, in Oregon (within 3 hours distance to Portland).
I want to fish for trout sized fish (I have fly fish material for this size), I do catch and release, but I would really prefer to take one or maybe two fish for dinner.
Think that´s a good way of fishing, if you just take what you like to eat and for the rest you do catch and release.
(Catch and release is very strict here in the states, isn´t it, should i better fish for salmon? Everybody I asked takes salmon! :dance: )

Thank you for your help, and I wish you a good fishing season!

Nico

Irishrover
Irishrover
Crooked River below bowman dam. Lots of water to fish from the bank and wadeable water. Use Scudds pheaseant tail nymphs and prince nymphs. Take hwy 27 south out of Prineville. Great veiws to boot too. Second choice would be one of the many Mt Hood lakes when the weather is right. Frog lake, Trillium lake, Lawrence lake, or Rock Creek reservoir in the spring. Lots of places to fish. Good luck and tight lines

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

If your headed south then make a trip to the McKenzie river, very nice river and this time of year it is a March Brown slam a thon. If you have the chance to come south shoot me a pm and I can give you more detailed informaion.

Chuck

H
highlaker
another spot thats amazing for fly fishing is Merrill lake..although its in washington
its strictly fly fishing only and you may have to hike a mile or so to get to it this time of year..i was up there a couple weeks ago and got to mile marker 3..had to turn around because of the snow..only had 1 more mile

N
nico-jan
thank you

thank you

thank you guys, for your quick reply.

Very friendly people and a beautiful country, I love to live here in the north
-west.

M
mosd
the metolious river is open year round. it can be good especially if yea can find the deep holes where the dollys like to hide below camp sherman

N
nico-jan
1-2 hour driving

1-2 hour driving

hi guys,

thanks for your recommendations, I checked the locations in my Oregon-Atlas. I think it´s a 3 hour and more driving to your excellent spots.

Does anybody know sth in closer distance to Portland?
Maybe an one hour, one and a half hour driving?????
:think:
Are there no (clean) rivers in the Portland area, where you can fish for some trouts or brook trouts.

Cheers

Nico

C
cutthroat
This early in the season your options are more limited for trout fishing within 90 minutes of portland. You'll have to wait until the official trout season opener on May 23 to fish any streams real close to portland. But until then the Deschutes, Mckenzie, and Metolius are all great places to flyfish. If you like to fish stillwaters there are plenty of places to go and catch yourself some stockers for your dinner.

R
redhawk50
The upper Clack is closer but I don't believe it is open yet, check the regs.