Where to fly fish near Portland

W
willbert
I just moved to Portland from Utah for school. I am a big fly fisherman but am struggling to find places to fish for trout that are less than 4 hours away. I know a good fishing hole could be considered sacred and a secret to keep. But I am hoping that a few of you might share some insight on where to find some trout.

Thanks!!

F
fheimerd
Is steelhead considered trout?

H
halibuthitman
4 hrs too far? for a big flyfisherman? .................. I would drive all the way to the John Day just to fish one hour and drive back home.. get a map.. and look east of where you are looking into a screen trying to find trout... there are about 25 great rivers within an hour and a half of portland. and yes fheimerd a steelhead is a trout, that falls under different regulations- Brad

F
fheimerd
In winter most of the rivers within 1 1/2 hours are closed to trout angling. Last weekend I ended up driving all the way out to the fall river for a trout fix. Caught a few smaller guys and then landed a 20 inch bruiser. Not a bad way to spend the day.
Seriously though, winter steelhead water is the closest fly angling you will find around portland. If you want to bumble around with another fly angler attempting to learn how to bring one of these fish to hand send me a pm.

H
halibuthitman
Why didn't you go to the metolious or the Big D?

G
Growbug
lots of lakes still open that are within an hour / hour and a half of Portland.
One of my fav's is Harriet

G
GDBrown
willbert said:
I just moved to Portland from Utah for school.........

Thanks!!

Where in Utah did you fish? My son lives in West Jordon and thinks nothing of driving up the canyon and fishing the upper or middle Provo. We even go up into the Uintas and float tube on the lakes.

W
willbert
Thanks for the tips. I've been out just haven't had any luck finding all the lakes i've been looking for. I've also asked around a bit but and was about to give up. I have been looking just not finding where the fish are. I will have to follow up with your comments. thanks.

GDBrown, i fish lots of places in utah but a favorite local spot was the weber river. just past morgan.

G
GDBrown
willbert said:
......GDBrown, i fish lots of places in utah but a favorite local spot was the weber river. just past morgan.

I've been there several times with my son Kyle. I love being up in the valley like that. With the new freeways up there it doesn't take as long to get there as it did when I lived there 25 years ago.

Where in Portland do you live?

GD