Where to fish winter steelhead near Eugene

C
cstaats
I recently moved to Eugene from Portland and was wondering if anyone could offer some tips as to which rivers and streams near Eugene (within an hour or so), are good for winter steelhead fishing. I plan to fish from the bank while using the "bobber and jig" method as I am a beginner.

Admin
Admin
North Fork Alsea is known for winter steelhead.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
The first 3 coastal rivers I can think of, within about an hour of Eugene that have winter steelhead runs, are the Umpqua, Alsea, and Siuslaw.

Reactions: Admin
troutdude
troutdude
Roger is spot on. I think the Siuslaw is closet, with the Umpqua also being fairly close. The Alsea comes in #3, with the Siletz at #4. Or the Siletz may be tied with the Coquille, in terms of distance. Winter Steel, is all a Coastal show. The Eugene area only has Summer Run Steel.

C
cstaats
Great advice. Thanks everyone. Headed to the Siuslaw now. Good luck.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
If you are new to steelhead fishing I would focus on the Alsea and the Siuslaw. Smaller water is easier to learn how to read and there are less places for the fish to hide. If the water is green in color and 2-3 feet of visibility try water thats 2-4 feet in depth with “walking speed” current. If the water is clear start focusing on the slower holes that are 4+ feet deep. When the water drops and gets colder the fish will recede to deeper water. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.
- Tight Lines

Reactions: catphish and troutdude
F
fucarewee
rogerdodger said:
The first 3 coastal rivers I can think of, within about an hour of Eugene that have winter steelhead runs, are the Umpqua, Alsea, and Siuslaw.
Hey Dodger you old dog , with the dog ha ha where you been this fall? Have you ever fished for smelt , they are great eatig , gerat smoked and or canned, and can fish them. Give me a shout.

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
Roger is spot on. I think the Siuslaw is closet, with the Umpqua also being fairly close. The Alsea comes in #3, with the Siletz at #4. Or the Siletz may be tied with the Coquille, in terms of distance. Winter Steel, is all a Coastal show. The Eugene area only has Summer Run Steel.
Jay,

Check out the fish counts at Willamette Falls. You'll see winter steelhead in the counts. Any guesses where they go?

• Wow
Reactions: troutdude
sambone
sambone
jamisonace said:
Jay,

Check out the fish counts at Willamette Falls. You'll see winter steelhead in the counts. Any guesses where they go?
you are right, but just out of curiosity have you ever caught a winter run on the middle fork willamette? really hoping after this years coho and winter run we get a decent summer run for once lol

jamisonace
jamisonace
sambone said:
you are right, but just out of curiosity have you ever caught a winter run on the middle fork willamette? really hoping after this years coho and winter run we get a decent summer run for once lol

I have never fished for them but I have a friend who fishes for them every year and gets a few.