Where to fish tomorrow (March 6)?

bass
bass
I had been thinking about taking the yak to Hagg tomorrow but it looks the winds are supposed to be 15-20mph from the South. I am thinking that is too much wind for that lake. I imagine it will be extremely rough. Thus, I am toying with the idea of taking the kayak to Walter Wirth. Since it is tiny the wind should not be as much of a problem. The downside is fishing something that small is not the most fun thing to do.

Probably most likely scenario is that I will go to Swan Island and fish for sturgeon (and perhaps some bass and panfish). This is probably my most likely option since it is pretty protected and a wind from the South is with the Willamette current which tends to not be as bad in terms of making it rough.

Anyone else fishing tomorrow? If so where are you going?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
If you're not dead set on fishing from the yak - the St Louis Ponds can offer a fun diversion early in the year. There's no floating devices or wading allowed, but the numerous ponds have excellent bank access all around. They're full of stocker trout, bass, panfish, and catfish in the ponds. I've picked up panfish in January on the fly in those ponds when I needed a fishing fix and didn't want to beat the water to a froth chasing steelhead. There's a good woodlot that surrounds the ponds so they should be rather sheltered from the wind. Fly, lure, bait - whatever your fishing pleasure is OK there.

K
Kage
The regs don't say anything about trout in the exemptions for the zone. Is it the usual 5 then?

bass
bass
GungasUncle said:
If you're not dead set on fishing from the yak - the St Louis Ponds can offer a fun diversion early in the year. There's no floating devices or wading allowed, but the numerous ponds have excellent bank access all around. They're full of stocker trout, bass, panfish, and catfish in the ponds. I've picked up panfish in January on the fly in those ponds when I needed a fishing fix and didn't want to beat the water to a froth chasing steelhead. There's a good woodlot that surrounds the ponds so they should be rather sheltered from the wind. Fly, lure, bait - whatever your fishing pleasure is OK there.

Thanks for the idea. I already loaded up for sturgeon fishing. I will post a report tomorrow.

P
pinstriper
Not fishing tomorrow, but picking up my new Outback. So...go shopping instead ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Kage
Grats on the Outback, shopping spree? Gotta break it in somehow

T
troutmasta
Bass how was it? Windy?

bass
bass
troutmasta said:
Bass how was it? Windy?

I will write up a full report later but it was pretty windy until early afternoon. White caps most of the time with a mix of sun and rain. Later in the afternoon it was pretty calm until a violent squall came through late in the afternoon. That was pretty exciting.

I can't complain though. I had as hot of a sturgeon bite as is physically possible and ended the day with a beautiful 79" fish that made a twisting jump during the battle!

S
Snopro
Looking forward to the report. I was going to suggest traveling up above The Dalles for walleye but it sounds like you had a great day where you were.