Where to fish the Trask and Nestucca rivers

dschmunis
dschmunis
I'm fairly new to Oregon and looking to explore some new rivers.

This weekend I'd love to try the Trask and Nestucca rivers and go for some cutthroats. Does anyone have any info on best spots to try out?

I'd appreciate any intel. If you must keep the holes secret but are still willing to share privately please DM me and I promise it will stay with me!

Best,
D

B
Ballgame
No real secret holes on the Nestucca. You see people fishing in the same spots daily. where 3 rivers joins the big river, 101 bridge, Jackson's drift (pay a dollar and walk across a cow pasture to a gravel bar opposite side of the 3 rivers joining) and quite a few more...my best days for cutts have come above 5th bridge.

dschmunis
dschmunis
Thanks for the intel @Ballgame. Is it ok/safe to park on the side of the road (if there's no no-parking sign)?

B
Ballgame
yeah I've never had any issues with parking along the road. There are usually pull outs at the popular holes

brandon4455
brandon4455
Upper river on the nestucca for sure. And the river does receive earlier than most pods of sea runs all of the way upriver. I’ve caught them fresh from the salt way up top this time of year. I use to spend a lot of time there when I was in high school. As mentioned just find the pullouts along upper nestucca river rd.
The Trask river most cutthroat fishing I have done is from a boat, but there is bank access near the hatchery and above. And also in the north fork.

dschmunis
dschmunis
Thanks for the intel @brandon4455. Are Blaine and Nestucca Road the same? I see a Blaine Road going East from Beaver. If so, is the river all fishable (where public land) from there going East?

brandon4455
brandon4455
dschmunis said:
Thanks for the intel @brandon4455. Are Blaine and Nestucca Road the same? I see a Blaine Road going East from Beaver. If so, is the river all fishable (where public land) from there going East?
Essentially the same yes. At the town of Blaine, the road splits, one follows the river, and one follows moon creek. At that point, the road is upper nestucca road. My advice is to fish above Blaine. There are also two campgrounds up there (rocky bend and I can’t remember the other one) which you can also use for fishing access. At Blaine and downstream you encounter more private land than up above. Most of the water above Blaine the road is right on the river and you can see the water, just find pullouts and park and cover water

Reactions: PhoFish
brandon4455
brandon4455
Here are a couple fish that were fresh from the salt that me and my fishing buddy caught above Blaine, about a week previous in August 7 or 8 years ago. And a little bit of scenery from up there. The fish are spooky and sometimes difficult to catch that high upriver in August but the effort is worth it.
It’s a great stretch of river but receives much more pressure than it use to. Don’t be surprised if a lot of pullouts already have cars in them first thing in the morning.

• EB2EAE5D-21B5-48FD-818E-1881CB8E6C32.jpeg
  • 25CC948B-D220-4C51-A477-C5C61746D989.jpeg
  • 0845A429-3FF3-4AFA-B398-1CFC40B5ED08.jpeg
  • 1430AE3B-AB09-4D03-9810-F62EB5116A13.jpeg
dschmunis
dschmunis
Went up today. First went to Three Rivers. A few weird guys gave me a bad vibe so decided to move to another spot. When to Blain road and fished under the bridges at Tony Creek Road and the one at NF-8573 and caught a few small cutthroats. Went to the boat ramp far back on NF-8573 but no luck there.
Then went to the Trask (Loren’s drift) and caught two nice cutthroats.
Ended the day on the Wilson around mile 20 and again two small fish.

NOTE: someone mention on a another post that there’s a cattle gate across from Three Rivers where you can pay $1 to access a fishing hole: CLOSE due to covid! :(

Happy fishing!
D

Echskech
Echskech
I fished the trask hard today from peninsula park on down to Nip's landing. Caught about 12 hand sized fish but nothing of any worth. The water was slow and low in every area. Im new to targeting Sea Runs, but I didn't see a damn one today.

dschmunis
dschmunis
@Echskech thanks for the report. May try Peninsula park on Friday after I go to Loren’s drift. Photos of the place look beautiful. Did you see many people?

Echskech
Echskech
Nobody else fishing but me, though you can always expect a few swimers in the Dam Hole this time of year.

brandon4455
brandon4455
If the water is as warm as stated in the other thread, I’d imagine the few sea runs upriver are stacked anywhere there is fast current and oxygenated water that is merely a degree or two less than the rest of the river. I was pretty shocked to hear of water temp in the 70s all of the way up to the north fork. During low tide it isn’t uncommon to see temps like that in upper tidal areas because the water is so slow and swampy, but upriver that’s pretty bad. That is as high as the temps get in most of our lakes.

It always gets better once the rains show up and more of them flood in with the salmon, and the days getting shorter and cooler will also help the water temp eventually. High tide way down further is still going to be the best fishing for a while until temps cool down and rain shows up.

Reactions: PhoFish, Echskech and dschmunis
dschmunis
dschmunis
@brandon4455 can you recommend some spots/access points in the lower sections that may be worth exploring? Much appreciated.
D

brandon4455
brandon4455
dschmunis said:
@brandon4455 can you recommend some spots/access points in the lower sections that may be worth exploring? Much appreciated.
D
Just about everything “down low” or in tidewater in that area is going to be all boat access only. You could try the hospital hole if it’s open. It’s a pay to fish area.