Where to fish steelhead

F
Fishallday
I dont know where to fish a steelead. I am a beginner. What bait to use and where i can launch my boat. If anybody is kindly answer my question is really helpful. I live in downtown portland. Thank you again!!!!!' if anybody is interested to go with me and teach me how to fish steel just hit me up. I have a 16 footer boat. Let me know.

C
capblack
what kind of 16 fter do you have? sled, drifter,

troutdude
troutdude
The Sandy, the Clackamas, and the Molalla rivers are the closest to you, in terms of where to go. There's also the Hood River to the east, and many coastal streams to the west (Nehalem, Nestucca, etc).

If you can afford to do so, hiring a good guide can help you learn a lot in a short amount of time.

You can also read just about all you need to know, in the Steelhead archives on here.

And, I would recommend these great books:

Amazon.com: Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout (9780936608402): Jed Davis: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Spoon-Fishing-Steelhead-Bill-Herzog/dp/1878175300

Last edited:
F
Fishallday
Its my first time to have a boat. Its 1987 bowrider marlin.

Last edited:
L
Letemgo
Fishallday, that is a nice boat. the walk through windshield is a handy feature for using an anchor. You will have a comfortable day on the water. You can take it anywhere on the Willamette (I would suggest the Sauvie Island area in the Willamette Channel or just below the mouth of the Clackamas when the water drops a bit. Another good spot for your style of boat would be the mouth of the Sandy. Make sure to stay in the Columbia because you cannot fish from a boat on the Sandy. Anchor above a likely looking stretch of water and use a spin-n-glo or a quickfish and put it on the bottom. Kick back with your favorite beverage and wait for a hit. Steve

Y
youngbuck307
You can fish sandy from a boat just not from oxbow boat ramp area upstream. There is a sighn in the trees on the other bank for dead line on boats... Can even run motor boats part way up not sure how far though have to look at the regs befor u go..

Irishrover
Irishrover
youngbuck307 said:
You can fish sandy from a boat just not from oxbow boat ramp area upstream. There is a sighn in the trees on the other bank for dead line on boats... Can even run motor boats part way up not sure how far though have to look at the regs befor u go..

Motors allowed to the east end of Dabney Park. (Not really prop territory though)

Y
youngbuck307
Yea not best area at all but he don't have to worrie about being "in" the sandy at the mouth though

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
Letemgo said:
Fishallday, that is a nice boat. the walk through windshield is a handy feature for using an anchor. You will have a comfortable day on the water. You can take it anywhere on the Willamette (I would suggest the Sauvie Island area in the Willamette Channel or just below the mouth of the Clackamas when the water drops a bit. Another good spot for your style of boat would be the mouth of the Sandy. Make sure to stay in the Columbia because you cannot fish from a boat on the Sandy. Anchor above a likely looking stretch of water and use a spin-n-glo or a quickfish and put it on the bottom. Kick back with your favorite beverage and wait for a hit. Steve

yes you can . but not out of a marlin . i guess you could if you had spare outdrives ? . . . . . . . . . ? stay in the willy or big c . fish close to the bank . 4-10 feet depth . run pulgs . make sure they hit the bottom now and then .