Where to fish for sturgeon on the Columbia - PDX to Bonneville?

F
FreshMoneyFisher
Hello fellow OFFers,

With the Willamette closed for keepers so quickly after it reopened (I wasn't able to make it out in time, and from what I have been reading and hearing I really missed out)... I'm looking to get out on the Columbia to try my luck before it closes soon as well.

Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction of some decent sturgeon 'areas' between Portland and Bonneville? I will be fishing from a boat. I am new to the sturgeon game....been researching and can't find much in terms of known areas on the Columbia, where I was able to find info on Willamette areas.

I feel comfortable with equipment and rigging, but not so much on where to be.

Thank you so much for any input, I will be sure to report results of the adventure...

T
todd
i use to go to the exit right pass multnomah falls its called the fishery. right out from the boat ramp down river 200 feet or so on the oregon side. 40 to 80 feet of water. lots of good spots around there.if u need anyohter help let me no

T
The Nothing
Fish it while you can! The Lower Columbia will likely close after the 20th of this month (or so the seemingly evil John North himself suggests). Fish around the mouth of the Willy at Kelly Point, out of Scappoose. Or even under the powerlines by the Sandy. These are all pretty well known sturgeon spots. I know a few others, but EVERYTHING is getting pretty hard hit right now. Just look for boats at anchor.

F
FreshMoneyFisher
Excellent information guys....many thanks and much appreciated!

F
fish4life
If you lanch at rooster rock and run upstream there will be a cliff on the washington side that has a tunnel on the top for the train, you will see a small sandy area underneath the cliff. This can be a good spot a little over 100 feet deep, you will need around 20oz weights here. be carefull anchoring you boat and make sure you have enough rope 300' + in fast current you can get into trouble quick.

H
Herefishyfishy
I don't think the boat ramp at Rooster Rock is useable yet, I wish it was, that cliff and just out from that house are some of my faves. There is Dalton Point boat ramp straight accross from those locations but it is pretty crappy, especially with the water so low. If your going much lower than the Sandy check the tides, I've had the most luck on an ebb.