Where to find good carp fishing near Springfield?

F
flocaster
Now before you all get into an uproar about another carp fishing thread, does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to hook a few that has decent bank access? I'd like to get my girlfriend hooked into a fish or two that actually have some size (bigger than planter trout at the very least). We intend to use them for crab bait...they work wonders! Any & all suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

I
igquick
I live like 2 hours away from you so I don't know if this will help but, it looks like The Willamette River in that area is pretty close by and it has lots of sloughs that trail off it. I am sure they are congregating in and out of the sloughs that trail off it for I have seen them do it a week ago off a slough from the Columbia. The slough was only about 4 feet wide. Anyways, I have never caught a Carp off the Willamette if memory serves me right, but I do remember seeing them in a "flat" cove with a rocky bottom; specifically Clackamette Cove located at Clackamette Park which is around my area. That area has more of a "stagnant" type of water, rather than fast flowing.

Another thing that would help you is that, some of my specific fishing spots I cast at and still fish for Common Carp, are also PRIME Largemouth Bass spots. I know a guy that pulled a 6 lb largemouth out of the same hole I got the 25 lb Common Carp. So this might make you think twice before casting at a certain area.

F
flocaster
Thanks for the info igquick. I'll have to start scanning the Google maps & see what I can find

I
igquick
your welcome let me know how it goes!

I want you to talk to Shane because he knows a great carp fishermen that fishes maybe around your area? I think his name is Drew maybe? Anyways he also caught a MASSIVE channel catfish out of that willamette, but he doesn't go on the forum anymore because of the obvious uproar about Carp

F
flocaster
Where are the golden garden ponds? My phone won't open the links

T
TTFishon
At the end of Golden Garden St off of Barger Dr. in Eugene across from Shasta Middle School.

F
flocaster
Thanks...I'll definitely have to give them a try

I
igquick
The japanese Gardens is probably your best bet....

F
flocaster
Now all that's left to do is get a chance to get out without life getting in the way...

T
TTFishon
flocaster said:
Now all that's left to do is get a chance to get out without life getting in the way...

Curious if life got in the way or did you make it out there?

F
flocaster
Never did make it out there yet but I'm thinking of trying on saturday. Anyone been out there any time recently?

U
universalfishermatt
If you find a river or lake that looks nasty, theres probably carp in there Lol.

F
flocaster
I've been actually doing fairly well at ABC but i've heard more than one rumor that golden gardens is a good spot for the bigger ones (10+lbs). I got one that went 11.5lbs there (Alton Baker that is) last week.

Last edited:
J
Jdangler xD
flocaster said:
I've been actually doing fairly well at ABC but i've heard more than one rumor that golden gardens is a good spot for the bigger ones (10+lbs). I got one that went 11.5lbs there (Alton Baker that is) last week.
This is good stuff. Flo you could try albany when the weather warms up. I understand there are some great spots here

J
Jdangler xD
igquick said:
The japanese Gardens is probably your best bet....
In Portland? Or are there a string of Japanese gardens flying under the radar lol

F
flocaster
Not sure where the Japanese Gardens are lol. Golden Gardens Ponds on the other hand... I met up with Universalfishermatt from the forum back in October and we hit them up but to no avail. They seemed like a decent area and they are pretty deep (15-20 ft) compared to most of the ponds in the area. And sounds like fun to try fishing up there but I don't have a car lol

J
Jdangler xD
flocaster said:
Not sure where the Japanese Gardens are lol. Golden Gardens Ponds on the other hand... I met up with Universalfishermatt from the forum back in October and we hit them up but to no avail. They seemed like a decent area and they are pretty deep (15-20 ft) compared to most of the ponds in the area. And sounds like fun to try fishing up there but I don't have a car lol
I have a truck ;)

S
Steel4life
Was out at golden gardens while the rivers were blown out. Plenty of big carp. I like the white corn. Seems to out fish everything else I've tried there for carp. Fish the first pond by the little bridge with the creek running under it. Other ponds haven't fished as well since they did the improvements. Good luck

J
Jdangler xD
Steel4life said:
Was out at golden gardens while the rivers were blown out. Plenty of big carp. I like the white corn. Seems to out fish everything else I've tried there for carp. Fish the first pond by the little bridge with the creek running under it. Other ponds haven't fished as well since they did the improvements. Good luck
Thanks man. I'll keep that in mind. I like white corn more haha