Where to crab and fish in Newport?

X
xltom
I'm going to Newport this weekend for a Biology class trip(LCC). I will be staying in a friends cabin sunday night. I'm hoping someone here will turn me on to a good spot for some dock crabbing and fishing. I'll only be able to have fun sunday evening and maybe a little in the morning, so I don't want to waste time scouting out docks and marinas. I tried that in coos bay in november and it took me 2 hours to get to the Charleston marina. It was no fun finding that place in the dark...

So please, anybody, recommend a good spot..... I also could use some advice on how to fish the docks out here.. and the rules as well... I have fished saltwater only once since I moved to the west coast. We caught a few ling cod on shrimp I think....I can't remember. Thanks for any tips...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Over by South Beach Marina there is a crabbing/fishing pier. It is on the west side of the Roug Brewery. I have never used it but see quite a few folks crabbing there. Also the docks right by the Brewery, I have seen folks crabbing there. For fishing the south jetty is your best bet from shore. Just my opinion but the best fishing and crabbing in the Newport area requires a boat. I understand that may not be an option for you on this trip. I have seen days when that crabbing pier gets rather crowded. Good luck and there is always the Brewery to check out.

X
xltom
Thanks, do you know anything about the regs.....I know I need a shellfish tag....do I need a saltwater tag or something? also do you know if it's legal to fish after dark? I'm still waiting for the weather to be nice enough to seal and paint my little boat(12 ft alum)...wish it was ready now...

Irishrover
Irishrover
No special saltwater tag to fish in Oregon. You can crab and bottom fish at night. We are all waiting for the weather to get nicer!! I just got back from the Sandy trying for chinook with my spey rod....rain rain and more rain.

B
Bass Ackwards
It's legal to fish in the ocean after dark and if you have a regular oregon fishing license that works for fresh and saltwater. I pesonally think some of the best fishing in newport is at night. There is also good spots to crab along the historic waterfront on the right hand side of Tradewinds charters. Not usually as many people crabbing as on the crabbing docks and i usually have a lot better luck there. If you keep walking west there is another spot next to the thai food place. Harry's bait and tackle is in the same area if you need. Good Luck!!

X
xltom
Thanks guys,
You even provided me with business addresses that I can plug into my navigation system....cool. What is the best bait for dock fishing in Newport? I've got crab bait in the freezer. I'll probably grab something to fish with at "Harry's Bait".

B
Bass Ackwards
I usually use sandshrimp.

B
BlackBass
As mentioned above i would crab the Rogue Brewery dock. We did very good there a few months back at night. You can fish for herring on the incoming tide if your into that kind of thing. I usually do it a few times a year for bait. South jetty for rock fish try using sand shrimp for the smaller fish, and jigs or herring for the lingcod.

X
xltom
Hmmmm, I was hoping to fish and crab at the same time....Rock fish are delicious....is there a size limit for rock fish and cod?

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
In the back of the ODF Regs on page 100 is the size limits and species you are allowed to keep. Plus nice pics to look at so ya know what you got. Do not forget your Shellfish License if you are crabbing. Make sure of size and sex too. Check tide levels as the do effect your possibility of catching something. Have fun and enjoy.:D

Last edited:
X
xltom
OK, I crabbed the rogue pier sunday night. I didn't keep any but there was a group from eugene there partying and cooking red rocks as fast as they could catch em....I had fun just hanging out and meeting new friends. Monday morning I hit the south Jetty. My dog had a terrible time getting down to the water. When we finally found a place to get down, there was a snorkeler with a bag of surf perch and some red rocks pulling out. We fished using octipus from fred meyers because someone at depot bay suggested it. I think they were too big to work.. I ended up settling for 4 decent red rocks and heading home without a single bite on my pole....next time I will definitely bring/rent a boat.

Last edited:
B
Bass Ackwards
xltom said:
OK, I crabbed the rogue pier sunday night. I didn't keep any but there was a group from eugene there partying and cooking red rocks as fast as they could catch em....I had fun just hanging out and meeting new friends. Monday morning I hit the south Jetty. My dog had a terrible time getting down to the water. When we finally found a place to get down, there was a snorkeler with a bag of surf perch and some red rocks pulling out. We fished using octipus from fred meyers because someone at depot bay suggested it. I think they were too big to work.. I ended up settling for 4 decent red rocks and heading home without a single bite on my pole....next time I will definitely bring/rent a boat.

Sounds like you had a good time. 4 reds is better than nothin

X
xltom
Sure did. Thanks for the tips guys...

X
xltom
Whoops.....redundant post

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Hey man sounds like even without a boat it was fun. Next time I'll have to go with you ad take my boat. just need a better heads up to be financially ready.

X
xltom
Andy, your boat woulda been sick in the bay...I could probably get the cabin again for free(or donation). Next week is finals then I'm off for the summer and I'll have more money. We'll go for sure. I also can get free whale watching tours at depot bay. Big waves in a zodiac was fun as hell. My biology teacher(whale watching captain) also said she knows the good spots for dropping crab pots. The charter boats at depot bay were loaded with fish and crab...

T
Thuggin4Life
Wait so you guys went out? what a blast! I thought you were gonna be on shore with the looking glass. yeah we will have to fit some time in for sure. I need to get some pots so this may force me to.

X
xltom
Yup, My teacher owns a whale watching business and runs the boat on weekends and all summer... I have one set of rings and two eagle claw traps.....but pots would be better.....you know me, I'll probably just build some out of chicken wire like we do on the east coast...