Where to catch catfish?

P
PTownAngler
Does anyone know where the best places to fish for catfish are close to Portland? Like within 45 minutes? Thanks everyone!

M
Moe
Really good fishing is way east. But you might get a channel or two at the mouth of the tualatin

P
PTownAngler
I'm not necessarily looking for perfect conditions, just a place I can go where I know there's going to be some catfish. I always have stuff for other species in my box and i always take 2-3 rods with me.

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
I have a question... Regarding catfish. Are you interested in C&R around PDX or do you intend on eating them?

There are places around town i.e. Willamette river & Columbia slough. Both areas have high levels of pcb's and Dixon's which are precurser to cancer development. Back in the 1940 PDX was producing components for the Kaiser Liberty ships. After WWII the shipyards were removed but the toxic pollution remains in the muck on the river bottom.

Safer places exist such as above the Oregon City falls, Mary Young*park, the mouth of the Tualitan, and the Tualitan proper.

Locations further from PDX include Detroit lake (1.5 hrs up hwy 20) were you'll find fair catfishing. Traveling a few more hours east there is Priveville Reservior; which IMHO is a fantastic location for catfishing. Put a worm on the bottom anywhere west the State park and you'll have great success!

P
PTownAngler
FishFinger said:
I have a question... Regarding catfish. Are you interested in C&R around PDX or do you intend on eating them?

There are places around town i.e. Willamette river & Columbia slough. Both areas have high levels of pcb's and Dixon's which are precurser to cancer development. Back in the 1940 PDX was producing components for the Kaiser Liberty ships. After WWII the shipyards were removed but the toxic pollution remains in the muck on the river bottom.

Safer places exist such as above the Oregon City falls, Mary Young*park, the mouth of the Tualitan, and the Tualitan proper.

Locations further from PDX include Detroit lake (1.5 hrs up hwy 20) were you'll find fair catfishing. Traveling a few more hours east there is Priveville Reservior; which IMHO is a fantastic location for catfishing. Put a worm on the bottom anywhere west the State park and you'll have great success!

Definitely Catch and Release, the only thing I ever plan on keeping is spring/winter salmon and some stocked trout here and there.