Where to catch and release all day long

K
kornphlake
I've lived in portland for 2 years now but just got settled in enough that I though it would be worth investing in a fishing license. I grew up fishing in high mountain streams where we'd catch 6-8" brook and rainbow trout on nearly every cast, I don't much care for trout so releasing them never bothers me. I've been out fishing at Salish pond and Faraday lake with my kids and got skunked, lake fishing has never been real exciting to me anyway. I'm ready to get out in the streams, if we don't catch something next time my kids may never go fishing with me again... Now that the rivers are open, where's a good place to catch and release hungry fish, preferably on the east side somewhere, I'm thinking tributaries to the clackamas or sandy rivers would be the most accessible to me right now, but I'd travel a bit further if I was sure to catch a bunch of little fish. Being relatively new to the area, names of rivers don't help me much, if you can give some basic directions that would help too.

B
Boywhofishes
Welcome to OFF! :D it's great to see so many new members! and getting kids into fishing is important, unfortunately i'm not familiar with the portland streams.

Again Welcome!!

K
kornphlake
North Fork reservoir will probably be my next attempt at lake fishing, but I'm really looking for river fishing, actually stream fishing, some place I can look into a hole and see a dozen finger sized fish then drop a hook into the hole and watch a fish take the hook, over and over again. If the hole is small enough to reach all the way across with a 7' pole it may be a little too big.:D

O
OnTheFly
kornphlake said:
I've lived in portland for 2 years now but just got settled in enough that I though it would be worth investing in a fishing license. I grew up fishing in high mountain streams where we'd catch 6-8" brook and rainbow trout on nearly every cast, I don't much care for trout so releasing them never bothers me. I've been out fishing at Salish pond and Faraday lake with my kids and got skunked, lake fishing has never been real exciting to me anyway. I'm ready to get out in the streams, if we don't catch something next time my kids may never go fishing with me again... Now that the rivers are open, where's a good place to catch and release hungry fish, preferably on the east side somewhere, I'm thinking tributaries to the clackamas or sandy rivers would be the most accessible to me right now, but I'd travel a bit further if I was sure to catch a bunch of little fish. Being relatively new to the area, names of rivers don't help me much, if you can give some basic directions that would help too.

Hey kornphlake...Try the Callowash where it runs into the Clackamas and up stream. I've fished this stretch of water only once but I caught trout. It'll be hard to concentrate on fishing because the whole area is NBB 'nothing but beauty'.

B
beaverfan
That little where the Collawash comes into the Clack in my oppinion is fished VERY heavy. During the week it will produce a few but come weekend it's packed. I have never fished up the Collawash but I'm dying to.

O
OnTheFly
beaverfan said:
That little where the Collawash comes into the Clack in my oppinion is fished VERY heavy. During the week it will produce a few but come weekend it's packed. I have never fished up the Collawash but I'm dying to.

Yeah, a buddy and I stopped and fished at a place up stream from the mouth. Not really sure where it was but there was a large campsite next to a bridge where another stream came in and dumped into a large pool. We walked over where the river came in and picked up a couple trout by drifting caddis flys down river and letting the fly float into the pool. My friend also caught some in the faster water. Besides the people that were camped there, no one else was around.

H
hendrixfan
Farther from Portland, but the Breitenbush used to be a decent producer depending on when it was stocked, and there are several high lakes in the area like the Olallie Lake basin and many others if you want to hike a bit. The North Santiam used to be pretty good too above Detroit, again depending on stocking.

K
kornphlake
The Olallie Lake area looks promising, is it still too early in the year to make it up that way without 4wd and/or snow shoes? How about the Rock Lakes basin area, I've never been up that way either?

H
hendrixfan
Probably another month before Olallie is accessible. This time of year even if there isn't any snow quite often the roads to the high lakes are blocked by downed trees.

O
OnTheFly
kornphlake said:
The Olallie Lake area looks promising, is it still too early in the year to make it up that way without 4wd and/or snow shoes? How about the Rock Lakes basin area, I've never been up that way either?

Thought you were looking for streams? Anyway...Olallie is at 5200ft and I believe Timothy is still inaccessable from Skyline and that's a lot lower. Try Olallie late next month. There is a walk in lake in that area called Fish Lake. I hear it's good fishing and I'm planning a trip myself this season. Don't wait for these lakes to open just go somewhere now. There are fish to be caught! If your kids need a quick fix, Harriet is getting better each day and soon, skunk days won't be possible there.

K
kornphlake
OnTheFly said:
Thought you were looking for streams?
You bet I'm looking for streams, all those lakes have a stream running into and out of them don't they?
Anyway...Olallie is at 5200ft and I believe Timothy is still inaccessable from Skyline and that's a lot lower. Try Olallie late next month. There is a walk in lake in that area called Fish Lake. I hear it's good fishing and I'm planning a trip myself this season.
Can you share some directions to Fish Lake? I couldn't find it on the map very easily. Any place that needs a hike in is good, it means there will be less people and I can usually fish a stream on the way.

Don't wait for these lakes to open just go somewhere now. There are fish to be caught! If your kids need a quick fix, Harriet is getting better each day and soon, skunk days won't be possible there.

Oh yeah, I won't let snow at higher elevations stop me from fishing the lower areas, I may try Harriet this weekend and see if it's as good as you say.

R
redhawk50
Salmon River up by ZigZag is supposed to have trout in it and is more off a stream the further up you go. Big hang out on the weekend location though I think. Oh and don't get lost like the 4 people have already up there this year. I went to fish it was closed because of Salmon spawning but my buddy has had some luck there. The trail follows it pretty much all the way up to a set of falls, which I have not been past. I don't know about sure catches either because the water is very clear. There are threads on here about the upper Mollala as well.

O
OnTheFly
I like the way you think kornphlake! I'm sorry if I under estimated you. The next time you get to REI or maybe on line for that matter, get a topo map of the Olallie area. There is a trail to Fish Lake somewhere just before you get to Olallie. Can't give you much more than that as I am unfamiliar with it as well.

Harriet is just starting to get good. Good place to go now while waiting for the Spring thaw.

H
hendrixfan
Fish Lake is decent as are several other of the lakes in the area. There are decent lakes on the Warm Springs reservation(have to get a tribal permit) as well. Here is a quick map, but like OnTheFly said you can go to REI and get similar print outs. Google Earth the area and you will be amazed at how many little lakes there are, and many of those do have fish.

Olalliearea.jpg

A
adambomb
nice job hendrix, i hiked into fish lake last summer, and let me tell you, PACK LIGHT!! the drunk guy watching over the resort during construction told me it was the best fishing and only about a mile WALK. Turns out it is more like a mile and a half and about a third of it is about %25-%35 slope. About half way I was wishing i didn't bring my big tackle box. also i'm not a very big hiker so if you are in shape kornflake, you shouldnt have any problems. Just before you get to the resort look for a campground on your right, turn in and follow the loop all the way to the back and park. The trial head is right there. Also Lower lake is a nice little lake only about 1/4-1/2 mile from the head, that i think i will pack my tube into this summer. Oh yeah, i landed a couple of these beauties today out of the lower molalla.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
BigShug
kornphlake said:

I don't know the PDX area, but I will second the N. Santiam above Detroit. It sounds a lot like what you're looking for. Small stream fishing, heavily stocked, high success rate, and not really a lot of people.

IMHO the mecca of small stream fishing is in the SE / S. Central part of the state. It is a long haul from the Portland area, but if you were planning on spending multiple days camping and fishing you'd not be disappointed. Lots of productive small streams, larger fish than the valley small streams, and all kinds of solitude. The N. Fk. of the Sprague River, Chewaucan, Dairy Creek, Silver Creek, Ana River, and a couple others that escape me right now + a little willingness to explore and find the deeper holes = some of the best small stream fishing you'll find anywhere.