Where to carry a pistol when hiking

W

wozniasm

My brother back east wants to carry his pistol when backpacking and is trying to identify a way to carry with easy access and not have the backpack interfere with it. Any ideas? I thought of a fanny pack worn in front but not much else. He must have it concealed per state law so it can't be exposed.

C

capblack

why does he have to conceal it? that makes no sense. i guess with a pack, you would have to use some sort of fanny pack. I carry mine in a holster strapped to the front strap of my back pack, but its hardly concealed. Brian

C

chris61182

If it must be concealed a fanny pack on the waste or on the chest strap would probably be my preferred locations.

W

wozniasm

I think the reason he doesn't want it exposed is due to hiking with his grandkids. Not sure if concealment in Missouri is a must.
The only thing I could think of was the fanny pack but thought others may have alternate ideas. definitely not in the back pants pocket - there's been folks shooting their leg somehow.

Last edited:
C

chris61182

It doesn't necessarily have to be a fanny pack, but any sort of bag/pack with loops. I imagine an old binocular case would work too.

And far be it for me to say so, but why not carry openly with the youngsters. That way they can see a responsible adult behaving responsibly with a gun, as opposed to what they see on TV or in the movies. Similarly it's never to early to start indoctrinating them with the safety rules, the biggest of which for kids is to not touch and find a responsible adult. :) Ok I'll get off my high horse now :).

W

wozniasm

It doesn't necessarily have to be a fanny pack, but any sort of bag/pack with loops. I imagine an old binocular case would work too.

And far be it for me to say so, but why not carry openly with the youngsters. That way they can see a responsible adult behaving responsibly with a gun, as opposed to what they see on TV or in the movies. Similarly it's never to early to start indoctrinating them with the safety rules, the biggest of which for kids is to not touch and find a responsible adult. :) Ok I'll get off my high horse now :).

Very good point regarding indoctrinating kids with gun safety. I'll get more info from him.

O

ol tymer

Actually, it depends on the size of the pistol. Is it a very large hog-leg, i.e., .44mag/357 mag,etc.? My wife uses a paddle holster to carry her light weight .38 when out walking. Stays close to the body and can be concealed with just a shirt, sweater, etc. I carry my 9mm sub compact in a concealable holster I ordered from Don Hume leathergoods in Oklahoma. Hard to tell I even have it on.

N

ninja2010

when i carry, i don't conceal... but if i had to, i'll probably just stuff it in my jacket pocket. i dunno...

W

wozniasm

Actually, it depends on the size of the pistol. Is it a very large hog-leg, i.e., .44mag/357 mag,etc.? My wife uses a paddle holster to carry her light weight .38 when out walking. Stays close to the body and can be concealed with just a shirt, sweater, etc. I carry my 9mm sub compact in a concealable holster I ordered from Don Hume leathergoods in Oklahoma. Hard to tell I even have it on.
I know it's a Glock and I think it's a 9 mm. Looked at the Hume site. Nice selection of holsters and very resonable prices.

B

Born2Fish55

I carry my Beretta .40SW in a shoulder holster that fits under my fishing vest and allows access just above my waders. When I hike in the hills I carry in a military leg holster that protects it and allows quick easy access.
Only time I worry about the laws of concealment are when I hit the streets or out in public... other than that it is always open carry.

I use the same set up when I am up in Alaska fishing the rivers/lakes except I carry my .454 Casull.... but there I open carry everywhere when in the remote areas.

W

wozniasm

So for me in Oregon, would there be an issue to open carry when fishing? What if I run across a Ranger or Wildlife Enforcement in the woods?

98nismo

when hiking I depending on where i am at I eather carry open right in front of my croch with a normal holster. Or concealed uesing a kholster Kholster about 4 to 5 oclock on my waist. then If I really want it concealed I carry with a Smart carry SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters and yes I can find a comfy spot to carry and hike.

W

wozniasm

when hiking I depending on where i am at I eather carry open right in front of my croch with a normal holster. Or concealed uesing a kholster Kholster about 4 to 5 oclock on my waist. then If I really want it concealed I carry with a Smart carry SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters and yes I can find a comfy spot to carry and hike.
The Smart Carry looks very comfortable and can be worn in or out.

W

wozniasm

Kholster even has a discount that he can use since he's a resident of St. Louis!

98nismo

So for me in Oregon, would there be an issue to open carry when fishing? What if I run across a Ranger or Wildlife Enforcement in the woods?

Depends on where you are and if you have CHL. being that Oregon is an open carry state the answer you'll be ok. but there are countys citys and towns that have there own laws about it that overrule the fed law.

C

chris61182

Actually I can one up open carry if you are fishing, hunting, or going to your shooting range; check out ORS 166.260 2b

Edit: The law is quoted below and it looks like I was off by a number, it's actually 3b.

Last edited:
C

capblack

if you run across a ranger or any type of law enforcement, youll be in more trouble if its concealed, unless you have a concealed weapons permit. I just carry in the open. Brian

Top Bottom