Where do you shop for tackle??

R
ryan808
Just want to see where most of you shop for tackle.

I noticed there are not too many local tackle shops targeting bass heads, do most of you shop online or just use whats local? Coming from San Jose I had atleast 5 bass geared tackle shops within a 20 mile radius. Ive found Fishermans Marine and Outdoor, but lacked teh variety.

B
bigdog
I think it is really going to deppend on what you are looking for. I know you are talking about bass gear but for me most the time when I bass fish I use worms or just your run of the mill lures and seem to do just fine when I go out for bass. There are a lot of places online to shop for tackle though. I know that Barlows tackle out of I think texas has a good amount of gear that is meant for bass www.barlowtackle.com . Check them out and see if they have what you are looking for.

R
ryan808
I've been using Tacklewharehouse.com for a while now, but its always nice to see what your buying in person. I know its the fisherman not the bait that catches the fish, but having something different floating in the water might trigger the personal best to take the bait.

B
bigdog
Oh I know what you mean my fishing vest gets heavier each time I go to the tackle shop.

G
GDBrown
Gear Store

Gear Store

bigdog said:
Oh I know what you mean my fishing vest gets heavier each time I go to the tackle shop.

And I thought I was the only one who had that problem:shock:

I like Tillamook Sporting Goods if I'm looking for anything but fly fishing gear. Don't have a favorite for that yet.

GD

S
stream2.5
i carry a lot of available tackel and lures... just let me know what you want and i can tell you if i carry that line... full line of brads lures and a lot can be used for crankbaits.. ect..

troutdude
troutdude
I always stop at the Tillamook shop, on my way to the Salmon in the Nehalem. It's a great shop. (And, let's not pass up the Ice Cream at the Cheese factory either)!:doh:

And, I highly recommend Don Green's "Fisherman's Shack", between Monmouth and Corvallis. He has a fantastic supply of spinner making components for trout, steelies and salmonoids. You'll find it at the intersection of Airlie Rd. & Hwy. 99W.

BTW, as I recall...Don is also an avid Bass fisherman and has tons of those kinds of supplies too!

Happy trails........................

1bigfish
ryan808 said:
I've been using Tacklewharehouse.com for a while now, but its always nice to see what your buying in person.

90% of my shopping this year was done at Tacklewharehouse.com

free shipping on orders of $50 or more and they are usually cheaper then the local stores and always cheaper(or the same price) as basspro or cabelas.

Reactions: brandon4455
L
lizardman
I usually just go to Bi-Mart if I need tackle. If Bi-Mart doesn't have the item I will call Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsman's Warehouse), and if they don't have the item I order it from Cabella's or Bass Pro. For live worms I like to buy the Canadian night crawlers sold at Wal-Mart (two dozen worms per container and container is sturdy unlike the styrofoam cups most worms are sold in).

Dave

J
jleepga
For cheap plastic baits check out alluringbaits.com. I've had a lot of success with their stuff and you can't beat the price.

F
Finneus Polebender
Tacklewarehouse.com deal as cheap as any where for my bass interests. They have all my favorites much cheaper than our best local bass shop here in Eugene/Springfield. and 50 bones is easy to drop on a little spree for me. Cool sight

M
michaelkim9582
Dicks sporting goods have a decent amount of reels, rods, baits, and etc targeted for bass.

R
ryan808
Sorry to say Dicks has really nothing to offer IMHO, I guess I was spoiled being in California.

R
ryan808
I passed that store the other week. I need to stop in and see what they got, the fly rods benn getting dusty.

O
OnTheFly
ryan808 said:
Just want to see where most of you shop for tackle.

I noticed there are not too many local tackle shops targeting bass heads, do most of you shop online or just use whats local? Coming from San Jose I had atleast 5 bass geared tackle shops within a 20 mile radius. Ive found Fishermans Marine and Outdoor, but lacked teh variety.

I lived in Sunnyvale for about a year but I can't remember a lot of places to fish for bass. How much variety does one need to fish for bass anyway? I thought they bite on most anything.:think:

H
Hawk
OnTheFly said:
I lived in Sunnyvale for about a year but I can't remember a lot of places to fish for bass. How much variety does one need to fish for bass anyway? I thought they bite on most anything.:think:

I lived in Monterey/Prunedale area several lustrums.

There are bass in Anderson, Coyote lake, Hollister ponds, Pinto Lake, Arroyo Seca ponds, San Luis Res/Forebay, stripers in the canals, San Antonio/Naciemiento Lakes, Hunter Liggett ponds, a lot of farm ponds, etc.

What bass strike at can depend on many factors. Water temp/depth/clarity/colors of surrounding land formations/cover/wood/rock formation, etc.

Lots of FUN...

:D

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Hawk said:
I lived in Monterey/Prunedale area several lustrums.

There are bass in Anderson, Coyote lake, Hollister ponds, Pinto Lake, Arroyo Seca ponds, San Luis Res/Forebay, stripers in the canals, San Antonio/Naciemiento Lakes, Hunter Liggett ponds, a lot of farm ponds, etc.

What bass strike at can depend on many factors. Water temp/depth/clarity/colors of surrounding land formations/cover/wood/rock formation, etc.

Lots of FUN...

:D

Wow! I had no idea! My brother-in-law fished the mouth of the John Day last year and ripped lips on bass about every cast! I have yet to try that. I generally don't target bass but action like that would be a hoot! Thanks for the heads up!:)

Last edited:
H
Hawk
OnTheFly said:
Wow! I had no idea! My brother-in-law fished the mouth of the John Day last year and ripped lips on bass about every cast! I have yet to try that. I generally don't target bass but action like that would be a hoot! Thanks for the heads up!:)

There are lots of smallmouth Bass in the John Day.

O
OnTheFly
Hawk said:
There are lots of smallmouth Bass in the John Day.

He's a lineman that worked on a project on the John Day Dam and after work they'd grab a bunch of beers and fish for smallmouth. It was the the best bite my brother's been into in years he said!

S
simpsoti
Southern Oregon: Can't beat Backlash tackle shop in GP.

Online:
alluringbaits.com ...... Great prices for well made plastics.... Senkos get spendy at 7 bucks for a pack of 10. These have been equally effective for me.

banditluers.com (usually good sales on cranks)

fishingtackleoutlet.net ---- good deals to be had, picked up 10 or so Rat-L-traps for 2.99 each.

gofishin.com ......Sell lots of cheap-o gear, but also has some good stuff at killer prices, would not recommend buying things that you are not familiar with [bought some weird brand steelhead jigs I was not happy with, but they did refund all my money and let me keep the jigs (30 bucks worth)]

Places I do not buy from (unless there is a killer sale)
Cabellas.com (I can not resist when in the store, but online there are better deals out there)
Bassproshops.com