Where do you get your fishing supplies?

A
a_fishing_duck
I am wondering where the best places are to buy bait and lures and all that good stuff around Eugene?

I imagine there are better places to go then walmart :)

M
mlw
I like Two Brothers tackle, in west Eugene. (Somewhere about 8th and Mckinley, you will have to google them. Old School.
Michael

M
mlw
BiMart isn't such a bad place either, good prices, better selection than Wally world.
Michael

C
coyo7e
I agree with both of the posters above. I went to 2Bros recently and they've got about the best selection in town.. I took in an antique Fenwick flyrod for them to repair, and they told me how to take it home and repair it for free, instead!

Wal-Mart has a pretty crummy selection and I don't like giving money to them, I much prefer Bi-Mart.

Caddis Fly Shop is okay although you should really only go in to grill them unless you want to drop a large amount of money - they've got a fun blog at The Caddis Fly: Oregon Fly Fishing Blog — McKenzie River fly fishing, Oregon fly fishing reports and fly tying videos. . The other fly shop in town - Homewaters - is not generally as customer-friendly, there have been times that I felt like I was treated pretty shabbily there, I've only gone in a handful of times in the last 10-15 years because it's a coin toss if the owner will be a jerk.

M
mlw
Re Homewaters, they have a new owner as of six months ago, whom I have found friendly, and if you tie flies they have a good selection of materials, some different things than Caddis. I like the idea of two fly shops in town, and after Mckenzie Angler closed I have been trying to give Homewaters some of my business.
Michael

D
Drice
I personally enjoy 2 bros and make regular stops there because not only do they have a great set up but they always have pointers or info for just about any water that holds fish around here. I absolutely refuse to even go in the walmart parking lot because of an incident involving a fishing pole that they would not replace when it broke after the 3rd cast I made with it. I exploded the pole against the wall by the customer service desk and have not been back since.

I am looking for a pair of waders and have no Idea where to go for those now that GI Joes and the close sportsmans warehouse went bye bye.

C
Cake
a_fishing_duck said:
I am wondering where the best places are to buy bait and lures and all that good stuff around Eugene?

I imagine there are better places to go then walmart :)

You're sittin in frount of the best place for anything, the internet on your computer.

C
catphish
I have yet to buy any, but those in the know (Osmosis, Troutski, yadda yadda) swear by TCO. Get ahold of Kodiak through the site here. I plan on heading his way soon to get some gear, and hopefully and hands on Santiam trip. Still trying to get rid of this skunk on my back.

C
coyo7e
catphish said:
I have yet to buy any, but those in the know (Osmosis, Troutski, yadda yadda) swear by TCO. Get ahold of Kodiak through the site here. I plan on heading his way soon to get some gear, and hopefully and hands on Santiam trip. Still trying to get rid of this skunk on my back.
English, please? :confused:

Troutski
Troutski
S
steelhead_stalkers
L
lizardman
Most of my gear I buy at Bi-Mart as it is only 30 minutes away from my house. My pontoon boats, waders, and wading shoes I purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse; I have also purchased corkies, sinkers, and other miscelanious fishing items at Sportsman's. I also like to hit the pawn shop and second hand shops for rods, reels and other tackle.

Dave

B
bluefoxfan
Has any one tried Mazama's Sporting Goods at Valley River Center? I've heard commercials on the radio that say they have fishing gear.

D
Drice
I went to Mazamas a couple of times before they did the fishing stuff. I wasn't too pleased with the service. There was a group of older gentlemen in there BSing and no one acknowledged that I was there for about ten minutes. Then when I went to ask for help I waited for another 5 minutes for a break in their conversation so I could ask my question and it happened everytime I visited not just once. I dont think i would go back in there if they paid me even if they had the best gear at the best prices (Which they dont).

Troutski
Troutski
Same thing...

Same thing...

Isn't that funny, the same thing happened to me.... It just seemed they weren't to keen on someone they didn't know. Well now they won't know me or my money. I will stick with Bi-mart and what I can't get from them I will order from Cabelas...talk about customer service.

Chuck

D
diggindan
Web Shopping

Web Shopping

I agree that internet shopping can be great, but always consider return policies and the hassles involved. And you don't get to touch the stuff till you own it!
And if we don't shop local more places will close. Nuff said.
I really miss Joe's, Bi-Mart is pretty good, Wally World needs to fall in a black hole!
Buy Local and often. Cheers, Dan

H
Hooked on fishin'
I miss Joe's too! I am pretty new to the area, is there anything else comparable around here? Within fifty miles I mean

A
a_fishing_duck
I stopped by Mazama's the other day, the fishing part of it isn't too bad. There was a guy and a girl working and they were actually pretty helpful. They did however say that they have not yet added their fly fishing stuff yet but will soon.

D
Drice
diggindan said:
I agree that internet shopping can be great, but always consider return policies and the hassles involved. And you don't get to touch the stuff till you own it!
And if we don't shop local more places will close. Nuff said.
I really miss Joe's, Bi-Mart is pretty good, Wally World needs to fall in a black hole!
Buy Local and often. Cheers, Dan

I am all for shopping local as long as they at least pretend like they care about my business and dont just blow me off. And I fully agree about wal mart them and I have some history and it wasn't pretty. :)

S
steelhead_stalkers
Unfortunately for Joes they didn't have much of what anyone of us needed in the last year or so. I couldn't even buy number four cutting point hooks!! I did like to go in there and waste time walking around looking at stuff though. Two bros is pretty good and they are nice.