Where do I go from here?

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
As the hopes of better weather begin to build in all of us, I find I know very few places to either camp or stay over for fishing trips. So, I decided to ask the absolute most knowledgeable people I could think of who could help. You have all been wonderfully generous with fishing locations,and for that I thank each of you. Now I would like to ask you to share even more. Please tell me (and I won't tell a soul ;)..) where do you love camping and why and the best time of year. Also, for those of us who get a bit too stiff,kind of like those large fish who spend a bit too much time in the coolers,please tell me what resorts you frequent and the best time of year. Are there any you would warn me not to bother with? What about feeling safe and cleanliness. Is it close to the fishing water and do they rent boats or floats? I don't care if these are public,like Oregon State Parks or private parks and resorts. Which ones are the absolute worst? Any info you share will be much appreciated. Thank you one and all for your time and use of your brain cells. Be safe.
Barb

Troutski

Troutski

Stay away from...

Stay away from...

Well sense you asked, do not ever go to Cougar Res. in Lane County. The fishing is horrible, the camp grounds suck,the scenery is a real downer, far to many people and the road getting there is full of pot holes and bandits. If I were you I would stay as far away from this place as possible. Maybe Big Cliff is where you should go, yea that's the place - wonderful boat access and no one ever goes there. The fish seem to just jump into your net, no need for rod or reel; just a net. Hope this helps with your decision....;)

Chuck

W

Webwader

My favorite Oregon fishing waters are Brownlee Reservoir but probably not the best option for you. There are no good boat rental places and it is a long way to go.
Have you been to Florence? With your 'toon there are several small fresh water lakes (Sutton, Mercer, & Munsel) that you can fish and there is jetty fishing on the Siuslaw. For camping, we like Harbor Vista County Park right by the North Jetty. I have never stayed there but there is a nice looking resort on Mercer Lake that also rents boats. There is great food down in Old Town (shopping too) and if you like ice cream, you can't beat BJ's. They make their own ice cream with 14% butterfat.
When we go down there we take our folding trailer and my little homemade jon boat which fits in the back of my truck.

T

TTFishon

As the hopes of better weather begin to build in all of us, I find I know very few places to either camp or stay over for fishing trips. So, I decided to ask the absolute most knowledgeable people I could think of who could help. You have all been wonderfully generous with fishing locations,and for that I thank each of you. Now I would like to ask you to share even more. Please tell me (and I won't tell a soul ;)..) where do you love camping and why and the best time of year. Also, for those of us who get a bit too stiff,kind of like those large fish who spend a bit too much time in the coolers,please tell me what resorts you frequent and the best time of year. Are there any you would warn me not to bother with? What about feeling safe and cleanliness. Is it close to the fishing water and do they rent boats or floats? I don't care if these are public,like Oregon State Parks or private parks and resorts. Which ones are the absolute worst? Any info you share will be much appreciated. Thank you one and all for your time and use of your brain cells. Be safe.
Barb

Our favorite place is Wickiup Reservoir. It's probably about a three hour drive from Dallas. I like it because where we camp it's first come first serve, there aren't any bathrooms except for maybe a home made rustic outhouse, our dog can run around where ever she wants because dogs don't have to be leashed, I can play music loud if I want, and when you catch a fish it's usually big. There's also pay camping with bathrooms, fresh spring water, dogs have to be leashed, and you don't have to listen to loud music from the likes of me. There's also a resort called South Twin Resort. They have showers, laundry, bathrooms, you can rent cabins or camp, there's boat rentals for South Twin Lake, there's a store and a restaurant.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

My favorite Oregon fishing waters are Brownlee Reservoir but probably not the best option for you. There are no good boat rental places and it is a long way to go.
Have you been to Florence? With your 'toon there are several small fresh water lakes (Sutton, Mercer, & Munsel) that you can fish and there is jetty fishing on the Siuslaw. For camping, we like Harbor Vista County Park right by the North Jetty. I have never stayed there but there is a nice looking resort on Mercer Lake that also rents boats. There is great food down in Old Town (shopping too) and if you like ice cream, you can't beat BJ's. They make their own ice cream with 14% butterfat.
When we go down there we take our folding trailer and my little homemade jon boat which fits in the back of my truck.

Webwader;
Thanks for the response. I checked out Brownlee Reservoir on Boat Escape; Ultimate Oregon Boating, Camping, Fishing Resource. Just east of Baker City may be just a wee bit out of range for me. But the whole idea here is to let all the members know where the best and worst (ahem..Troutski:naughty:) are located around the state. I should have been clearer on that point. I do apologize for that,but I thank you for the word on Mercer,also. I have been through Florence several times on my way someplace else and never stopped to look around. Shame on me. Thanks again for your contribution. I'm sure none of it will be wasted. Be safe.
Barb

M

mikeredding

South Twin

South Twin

I would highly recommend South Twin Lake Resort. I have never stayed in the cabins myself as I have a trailer.:) The fishing is spectacular in May, the resort is kind of an old school rustic establishment. I absolutely love it there!!!!:D:D I posted a thread on it a while back. Here is a link. Check it out.
Twin Lakes Resort in Beautiful Central Oregon

Last edited:
Raincatcher

Raincatcher

More sharing & caring

More sharing & caring

Our favorite place is Wickiup Reservoir. It's probably about a three hour drive from Dallas. I like it because where we camp it's first come first serve, there aren't any bathrooms except for maybe a home made rustic outhouse, our dog can run around where ever she wants because dogs don't have to be leashed, I can play music loud if I want, and when you catch a fish it's usually big. There's also pay camping with bathrooms, fresh spring water, dogs have to be leashed, and you don't have to listen to loud music from the likes of me. There's also a resort called South Twin Resort. They have showers, laundry, bathrooms, you can rent cabins or camp, there's boat rentals for South Twin Lake, there's a store and a restaurant.

TTFishon;
Thanks for the information on Wickiup Reservoir. I have never been there, but it sounds great. Yeah, I'd probably prefer to at least have a bathroom. Those bushes look mighty sparse to me. Music, well I love loud music as long as it's my music or the kind I like. A cabin would be nice for us grandmas' too. So maybe South Twin Lake Resort would be a little more to my fancy. Thanks for Sharing & Caring. Be safe.
Barb

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Very nice

Very nice

I would highly recommend South Twin Lake Resort. I have never stayed in the cabins myself as I have a trailer.:) The fishing is spectacular in May, the resort is kind of an old school rustic establishment. I absolutely love it there!!!!:D:D I posted a thread on it a while back. Here is a link. Check it out.

mikeredding;
Thanks for the link to Twin Lakes Resort. Looks like it has a lot to OFFer. Just a couple questions; have you ever stayed at the lodge and how much was it to stay? I couldn't find the price. I will be going to the Sisters Quilt Show in July and just may have to stay there. Thanks again. Be safe.
Barb

T

TTFishon

mikeredding;
Thanks for the link to Twin Lakes Resort. Looks like it has a lot to OFFer. Just a couple questions; have you ever stayed at the lodge and how much was it to stay? I couldn't find the price. I will be going to the Sisters Quilt Show in July and just may have to stay there. Thanks again. Be safe.
Barb

I found the prices here.

M

mikeredding

mikeredding;
Barb

I have only stayed in the campground but I believe the cabin prices are posted on the website. Click on which cabin you are interested in and I think it is there. Very fun and relaxing place to hang out and there are some huge fish. Check out the pics posted on their site.

J

JeannaJigs

It's a long drive from here, but oh god it's my favorite lake in the state.

Anthony lake.

anthonylake.jpg

Lots of trout, it's a pontoon friendly lake ;) it's fairly small, but the campground is really nice, and the scenery is amazing.

Another lake/campground I like that a lot, is Bull Prairie, lots of real nice brookies and they stock it with some nice rainbows. I believe it also has a healthy bass population.

Two of the most beautiful/quiet/serene places I have ever been in the state.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Beautiful lake

Beautiful lake

It's a long drive from here, but oh god it's my favorite lake in the state.

Anthony lake.

anthonylake.jpg

Lots of trout, it's a pontoon friendly lake ;) it's fairly small, but the campground is really nice, and the scenery is amazing.

Another lake/campground I like that a lot, is Bull Prairie, lots of real nice brookies and they stock it with some nice rainbows. I believe it also has a healthy bass population.

Two of the most beautiful/quiet/serene places I have ever been in the state.

JeannaJigs;
Wow! Another great lake in northeastern Oregon. Look out joesnuffy, word is out. That is one beautiful lake! Pontoon friendly,too,electric motor only. I checked it out on boatescape.com. Jeanna, are there cabins or a lodge nearby? Thanks for sharing & caring. Be safe.
Barb
Barb

J

JeannaJigs

I think that there are cabins...but I can't be certain. There are a few other lakes in the area, and it's not far from burns or baker city I can't remember which (one of those B towns). We've always camped in a camper when we go there.

J

joesnuffy

I was trying to make it clear in another thread that there are no fish in Eastern Oregon :p Here's another shot of Anthony Lake

2627704885_1b2cd9bcfd.jpg

Actualy, within 5 miles of Anthony you can find:

Grande Ronde Res.
Mud Lake
Black Lake
Van Patten Res
others......

Really nice area to hang out. There are cabins available to rent out but i'm not sure how. lol I just do day trips since it's only 35-45 minutes away.

J

JeannaJigs

I was trying to make it clear in another thread that there are no fish in Eastern Oregon :p Here's another shot of Anthony Lake

2627704885_1b2cd9bcfd.jpg

Actualy, within 5 miles of Anthony you can find:

Grande Ronde Res.
Mud Lake
Black Lake
Van Patten Res
others......

Really nice area to hang out. There are cabins available to rent out but i'm not sure how. lol I just do day trips since it's only 35-45 minutes away.
That's not fair, it's an entire day's drive from here. I'm insanely jealous. I haven't been out there in a long time. I think this summer if i can pull it off, I'm going to take a week off and camp/fish all across the eastern side. Did that a couple summers ago and it was awesome, found all kinds of new places.

The Wenaha river was one of my favorite finds, and then Anthony lake a close second. Awesome places.