Where can I fish the big D in or around Redmond?

S
spmpdr
Could someone point me to a good spot to fish here in redmond?

Irishrover
Irishrover
spmpdr said:
Could someone point me to a good spot to fish here in redmond?

Go north on Hwy 97 to Terrebonne turn left on Lower Bridge Road (the road to Crooked River Ranch). Stay on that road until you come to Lower Bridge. There is good access and pleanty of river to fish. There is a parking lot on the left before you get to the bridge. You could go to Tetherow crossing but it is not as good of a spot. The river ubove Lake Billy Chinook really isn't all that big it's a nice size river for wading. You might also like the Crooked River south of Prineville by the Bowman Dam. Let us know how it goes.

Just a note...This Lower Bridge is NOT the one on the Metolius River.

Last edited:
S
spmpdr
Irishrover said:
Go north on Hwy 97 to Terrebonne turn left on Lower Bridge Road (the road to Crooked River Ranch). Stay on that road until you come to Lower Bridge. There is good access and pleanty of river to fish. There is a parking lot on the left before you get to the bridge. You could go to Tetherow crossing but it is not as good of a spot. The river ubove Lake Billy Chinook really isn't all that big it's a nice size river for wading. You might also like the Crooked River south of Prineville by the Bowman Dam. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you sir, i just moved here a couple years ago from california and now that im established here i have some more free time to fish. I have been fishing the crooked river this past summer and really like that river . I am learning to fly fish now so if you have any good tips or tricks you could let me in on it would be appreicated . Thanks again for the directions and i will be sure to report back with how it went

Irishrover
Irishrover
Best advise I can give you is learn how to use is to pick up a book called the Curtis Creek Manifesto. It's a light hearted book on the basics of fly fishing. It reallly is helpful. To be more specific for Lower Bridge nymphs such as the prince nymph, pheaseant tail, and hairs ear, have worked for me. In the spring there is a good march brown hatch up there.

S
spmpdr
Could someone give me directions to a place call steelhead falls on crooked river ranch or another fishing spot in this area? I have been fishing the lower bridge area without much success or access , thanks

Irishrover
Irishrover
From Bend, drive north on U.S. Highway 97 to Terrebonne. Turn right onto Lower Bridge Road, then right into the Crooked River Ranch subdivision. About 1 1/2 miles on, turn left on Badger Road, then right on Quail Road. After about a mile, turn left on River Road and follow it to the parking area and trailhead. It's about a mile roundtrip to Steelhead Falls, but the trail continues on, following the east bank of the river.

Did you find the Borden Beck access parking lot. The trail there gives you a couple of mile of upriver access. Sometimes I wade downstream from the bridge also. I know it a son of a gun walking straight out from the parking lot to the river through those reeds.

This time of year the water is cold and the fish are not as active. Their metabolism is slow and they wont move far to go after a fly. The fly needs to be right infront of them so knowing where they are holding is very important to hooking fish. Look for those cut banks, seems, and pocket water. Look for places where the fish does not have to fight a current, has protection from predators and a source of food. Good luck.;)

Last edited:
S
spmpdr
Irishrover said:
From Bend, drive north on U.S. Highway 97 to Terrebonne. Turn right onto Lower Bridge Road, then right into the Crooked River Ranch subdivision. About 1 1/2 miles on, turn left on Badger Road, then right on Quail Road. After about a mile, turn left on River Road and follow it to the parking area and trailhead. It's about a mile roundtrip to Steelhead Falls, but the trail continues on, following the east bank of the river.

Did you find the Borden Beck access parking lot. The trail there gives you a couple of mile of upriver access. Sometimes I wade downstream from the bridge also. I know it a son of a gun walking straight out from the parking lot to the river through those reeds.

This time of year the water is cold and the fish are not as active. Their metabolism is slow and they wont move far to go after a fly. The fly needs to be right infront of them so knowing where they are holding is very important to hooking fish. Look for those cut banks, seems, and pocket water. Look for places where the fish does not have to fight a current, has protection from predators and a source of food. Good luck.;)

Thanks for the directions and all the advice, Im headed up there this evening , ill let you know how it goes. I did find borden beck and fish most of the area that i could access . I kept trigging through those weeds and getting stuck in the mud so im looking for a new to scope out.

S
spmpdr
Headed out there today and had one good hit a a nymph setup!!!! No fish landed and damn that water is cold but steelhead falls is sure a beautiful spot to fish!!!!