Where can I buy Salmon Skeins

W
WishToFish01
I can't find where to buy Salmon skein. I'd really like to just catch a nice Salmon and procure some from there, but Im having trouble. If anyone knows where I can purchase some that would be awesome.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to our family! We have soooo many helpful fisher folk here and you just met one. Take advantage of any OFFer made for information. You can also use the search engine or just browse through the different sections for a dizzying amount of info and tips. Please come back and share. We love reports and pictures!
Be safe.
Barb

W
WishToFish01
Thanks SS, thats where I actually discovered I could cure my own eggs and now I really want to!! I just need to find some Skein. Local fishmonger? I haven't heard of know any in portland, but again if any one knows some one that might know some one that would sell or give me some salmon Skein. I would love it!

J
JeannaJigs
Home cured is the best, if you do it right...otherwise it can be worse than that guide's choice nastyness. I lucked out and acquired some the other day from my neighbor who pulled out a fat hen from the Mac, he was going to throw them away because he didn't want to deal with them! I said he was insane to throw out quality eggs, and so he gave them to me. Worked for me :) Unfortunately, I don't know where to get uncured eggs from, other than catching a nice hen. Good luck

W
WishToFish01
Maybe you could throw some my way?

J
JeannaJigs
WishToFish01 said:
Maybe you could throw some my way?
I would but i cured it and used it today. All gonezo.

A
ArcticAmoeba
That was easy five years ago, it still is, but it takes a decent number of days to rack that many as of right now.

J
JeannaJigs
metalmania said:
Wow 200 on the clack, you wouldn't happen to be in the market for a new best friend would ya:D.
Lol no kidding! I need a new best friend like that down here on the Mckenzie.

B
BobberDown
ArcticAmoeba said:
That was easy five years ago, it still is, but it takes a decent number of days to rack that many as of right now.

it was easy i dont realy know how many i landed that year is al i know is i filled 6 hackery harvest tags on sprigers that season fished every day avraged 4 to 7 fish a day takeing my limet every day that is on my tags but now with to kids a fulltime job and the jig buisness it is inposible to find the kind of time one would need to get into over 200 fish unless you fish sevral times a week and always know were the fish are i just dont have that kind of time heck i use to put in 60 days in a season or more but now i am stocked to get 10 wat a change a famley ca make but i would not tarde itfor the wold i had fun then now i have a new kind of fun. at least tell the kids get big enuff to go hit the rivers with me safely i can't conplane i still do very well for the amount of time i put in until this year so far i have had a real tuff year only hooking 3 steelhead in 13 trips butthings are starting to get better for me i killed my first summer of the year it is about a month late to what i am useto but tieing jigs for every one elce realy does cut into my fishing time. but i do love to tie jigs well goodluke every one here a pic of a sandy river summer with one of my new UV egg drifters the love them

Last edited by a moderator:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Word! Those Sandy fish love egg patterns! So do the Creekers, and Clack fish alike. Super nice fish Dan! I like the real deal, sub-3 pounders! They 3eat the best for Steelhead. Good to hear you are still stoked to fish man. We'll get after some Dam hole'rs later on this year... In shorts, slingin eggs.

B
BobberDown
man your rite those little summers are someof my favrite fish to eat that fish was a little bigger though it does look very small the at angle i was holding it doesint it. here is a betterpic oh and yester day i hooked into another little bit bigger steelhead and and a nice nook lost them boh the steelie ran me stright into a snag right after i hooked it and the nook whent ito some relay heave water and headed down stream in a spote i could not chase it so i had to brake it off asit headed for the next hole 100 yards down river a lot of fun thought gess the fish gods figer i have putmy time in now it is time to get back into the fish will have to go soon so that fish was 7 pounds on my scale but still a small little sumer im stoked just the same a fish is a fish espeshaly on a hand tied patern i'll try to hit the clack a soon as the river dropes but i do love to fish the sandy in hight water 10 to 12 feet. oh ya i was going to ask you aa have you ever used nate baits cure befor they gave me some to try just curise if you have evry used it .
thanks dan

Last edited by a moderator:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Ah, yes. It lost a good 7 inches in the first shot with the funny angle. But again, very nice fish. And the Sandy does fish hard for Chinook especially above 10.5. Glad you are makin headway, hookin fish and all lately! Those friggin Chinook really like to just slowly turn, and criuse down! I have had a couple break me off at the Dam hole already. When they just aren't ready, they just aren't ready! I have fished a Nates Baits Cure a couple times, and I will say the Last Supper blows it away in the Clackamas, but I did hook a few Chinook, and like 15 Steelhead on it when we were screwing around on the Sandylast year for a week. They were all clipped fish too. Which I think is very strange for that river. Getting over 20 to the bank, and boat, and all of 'em were keepers? Weird, but maybe Nate has tapped into the phenotypic expression that hatchery stocks have, over less convoluted "wild" stocks. Strange for sure, but sometimes you get into a bunch of clippers! Always good for us. But try it out. You know tyhe cure thing pretty well, so you'll find out quick if you like it. And I will say that some cures work better than others, depending on the chemical content in your skin, and sweat. sO like I did years ago. Try 'em all, and find one that consistently produces...But you already knew that! Anyhoo, hope the new, free Nates Bait cure works out for you. And like I said before. When they start to pile up, we will mosey up to the Dam, and harass a few!

B
BobberDown
that sounds good i always loved amermansand prowcure mixed but though i would try the nates and nowwith my ext set of eggs ill try the last supper i am always looking for somthing better but have try most of the cures now i am looking forward to trying that last supper well there should be a good amountof fish up there in a cuople of weeks i would think i'll hit you up then thanks bro