Where are these steelhead

specboss

i am new to oregon, moved to klamath falls last spring, trout fishing the area was fun over the summer, hunting in the fall was great, but winter is killing my soul. i hear that the rivers and streams near the coast are where a fella should go for winter steelhead. well my sage steelhead fishing elders, where should i go? id like to know where all the real fishermen go for steelheads in southwest oregon.

Aervax

I am more of a Deschutes and Klickitat steelheader. This time of year when I am looking for a place to chase bullets it is time to research via the search function on this forum. There is a wealth of viable info in there without having to spend too much time sifting. If you want to really streamline the learning process, hire one of the coastal guides for an outing or two. That kind of jumpstart will get you fish on the line and the experience needed to go DIY. Tanner's Guide Service has been my best experience with a guide in Oregon to date. Best of luck to you. Please let us know how you do.

O. mykiss

You can check the ODFW website, it gives recreation report and they are a decent place to start. The Coquille, umpqua, and Chetco al offer decent bank access. Take a weekend day and go drive the roads along these rivers. Look for cars parked and go down without a fishing rod and talk with other anglers, look at what they are using. I am old school even though I’m in my 30’s. There is no amount of internet surfing that can teach you what time on the river will do. One other word of advice, when at the river keep tabs on what the gage height is and how the water looks and how the fishing was. This is how I can show up at the river under good conditions every time. Good luck and message me if you would like more detailed info! Good luck

markasd

You can check the ODFW website, it gives recreation report and they are a decent place to start. The Coquille, umpqua, and Chetco al offer decent bank access. Take a weekend day and go drive the roads along these rivers. Look for cars parked and go down without a fishing rod and talk with other anglers, look at what they are using. I am old school even though I’m in my 30’s. There is no amount of internet surfing that can teach you what time on the river will do. One other word of advice, when at the river keep tabs on what the gage height is and how the water looks and how the fishing was. This is how I can show up at the river under good conditions every time. Good luck and message me if you would like more detailed info! Good luck

How its done by the guys that put fish on the bank.
Get out and talk to folks fishin, youll make new buddies in the process.

specboss

i appreciate it fellas. this is plenty to go on for now. i still have another 2-3 weeks to plan, but now i have a few bodies of water to start thinking about.