Where are the Steelhead

H
help
I have been doing much reading, but I still need help. I was wondering, as far as summer and winter run steelhead go, which ones go up which rivers and when. This goes for oregon and washington. Thanks.

M
metalfisher76
help said:
I have been doing much reading, but I still need help. I was wondering, as far as summer and winter run steelhead go, which ones go up which rivers and when. This goes for oregon and washington. Thanks.

Summers are in and winding down. You can still pick `em up behind spawning nookies, in riffles, but the meat? Winters will start to arrive in some rivers in Nov. with the bulk of that run is in Jan. and Feb. The coastal systems are a bit different in timing, but not by much, someone else is prolly more of an authority on them.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Main Umpqua starts to be good in late November for winter steelhead and then the other smaller coastal river like Alsea and Siusilaw start to heat up around Jan. Great time of year coming up!! :D

M
Mike123
Who can think about steelhead with all these coho! hahaha.
Nah.. I been thinking of chasing some colored up steelies here near my house.
I imagine they got some bulky eggs perrrfect for coho in them right now! :D

H
help
Thank you guys for the input. More is welcome.

S
Steelheader4Life
It all depends on where you are fishing. On coastal rivers such as the Wilson, Nestucca, & Siletz the run starts in December and goes all the way into April. Especially the Nestucca, there's a great late run with some huge brooders ranging from 10-20 pounds. Last year my father and I were both lucky enough to land a steelhead over 18 pounds (and both were fin clipped).

S
Steelheader4Life
And as far as summers go, they are winding down right now. This year I caught my first summer in mid April. So there's not much of a lag between seasons. This of course also depens on which system you are fishing. My favorite river is probably the Nestucca, becuase it seems like they are steelies around, nearly year round.

S
SCREENMAN
when does the winter run hit the sandy river???

O
osmosis
after we're all sick of catching coho is about the time they show up! Give it a couple months, go catch some salmon!